DJ Max Portable 3 (PSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DJ Max Portable 3 (PSP)

Grabbed this off the US PSN store and i've played about an hour or so of it so far.

It's really, really good. If you've played the other DJ Max games you pretty much know what to expect.

They've taken the EXP/Leveling Up system from DJ Max Fever as a content unlock system. Every time you level up you get 3 different boxes to choose from, each one a different levelling reward.

You've got achievements for fulfilling certain conditions that will give you unlocks too.

Mission mode is in still. 70 courses in total.

At the start a lot of content is locked out, though... You only begin with 4B and 6B classic play, no freestyle mode and no hard style charts. You have to level up a couple of times before 3.2t mode is unlocked, and then a few more times before 4.2t mode is unlocked.

Songs and notecharts become available in Freestyle mode after you've cleared them in the standard mode.

Once you've cleared a song, it's corresponding hard mode chart opens up, so it actually forces you to play through the 3-stage game and not just whore the freestyle mode like i've pretty much done on all the other DJ Max games.

The 3.2t and 4.2t modes are definitely worth it though, and really make the game absolutely tons of fun. It pretty much DJ Max + DJ Hero. You have 3 different lanes, and you have to use the analog stick as a crossfader to switch between the lanes while keeping to the notechart. Really, really good fun.

Hard mode (Sampler Style) 4.2t play is where it's at, as you then get crossfading + notecharts + hold notes at the same time, it really ups the challenge and when you nail it down it just feels great.

Get it, it's awesome.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Uh oh! Bug time.

If you pause the game mid-song and resume, the notechart will be slightly off sync to the backing track! Every time you pause you need to restart the song to avoid it. This is on the PSN download version.

Has anybody else got this and will anybody else be attacking those internet rankings? I'm going to be having a go at the 4.2t rankings sometime, i'm still trying to find my highest scoring song route through the three stages...

Getting better scores on Technical Style than I am on Sampler Style with some songs, which isn't right.

Comment

Didn't realise this was out already, had even less of an idea that it was coming to the US! Is it available as a disc in the states too? I am there next week and if my CC permits...

Last one I played was DJ Max Portable 2 and must admit I preferred the original. The idea of the majority of the content being locked is not great either, I am not going to get much chance to play this and ideally I'd be able to just dip in and out and sample the best bits as and when.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        Didn't realise this was out already, had even less of an idea that it was coming to the US! Is it available as a disc in the states too? I am there next week and if my CC permits...
        The physical disc release has a very limited print run. They wanted to stick to mainly digital distribution for this one.

I think this is the first DJ Max where the US and Asian releases are simultaneous.

It's worth checking DJ Max Fever too, which is actually also available on the UK PSN marketplace.

Comment

I've been playing this a lot recently and I'm loving it! It's so FUNNN to play and it works great on the wide screen.

On the whole the DJ Max Series seems to always offer something new, this being the latest great thing.

Comment

Working...
          X