007: Blood Stone (PS3/360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

007: Blood Stone (PS3/360)

I got this today and must say its actually rather good.

To begin the game feels unmistakably Bond in just about everything it does. From the opening level to the games finale you'll feel like your watching and participating in a big budget action flick.

The game consists of 2 gameplay types the first being 3rd person shooting and the 2nd being chase action scenes. The game controls like the standard these days, but has a focus on building up momentum and flying through levels. You do this by using your melee attack to build up your focus meter which then allows you to quick aim and kill targets instantly when activated, similar to mark and execute in the most recent Splinter Cell. The 2nd portion of the gameplay is the chase action sequences, which, as suggested has you in a vehicle chasing a target whilst avoiding explosions, deforming terrain and general obstacles. The nature of the budget, tight controls and set piece action scenes are well produced and great fun allowing you to burst through the game very quickly, hence I played and completed it on the Agent difficulty (the hardest one available on start) to make it as long as possible.

One criticism of the game is the games slower levels do feel like a drag and the 3rd person part of the
    level did drag a little due to occasional slow pacing and overly long length. Thankfully though theres only 2 occasions to memory that felt a little slow and unwelcome as the game is definitely at its best when your melee attacking and focus killing enemies and blasting through the level or going through the fun chase scenes.

The game looks solid in general too. I would describe the game as 'clean' as it isnt always full of detail, none the less its on the whole quite nice to look at with certain parts of the game looking really, really nice. Sound is excellent too, great soundtrack and nice surround audio mix although the acting is bit static.

Overall take the game as what it is a fast, set piece driven block buster interactive movie and your in for quite a treat.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

My copy of goldeneye didn't turn up today so decided to get this.

I have to say I am plesently surprised, that guy on ign who gave this 5.0 needs his head examined, it's a very well put together action game full of cool set pieces and the like.

It isn't perfect, the enemies are really dumb on occasion and sometimes run straight at whatever peice of cover you are hiding behind whih allows you to perform a takedown on them and the graphics are hit and miss to say the least. But if your looking for some dumb entertainment for the weekend I don't think you could do much better than this right now, it's alot of fun.

I'm particularly loving the melée action.

Comment

Yeah, some of the takedowns are brutal. My gave so far sees 007 grab the enemy by the shoulders and pulls their head down onto his knee. The noise is sickening!!

It looks good, controls well and the gunplay is solid. It's almost as if reviewers are loath to give it good reviews just in case it sells and takes their focus off of the obvious "OMG COD IS TEH ROXXOREST GAME EVA!!! WOWZERS LOOKIT THE KILLSTREAKS" that are bound to happen next week.

If you want a decent shooter or are a Bond fan you should pick this up.

Comment

Just finished this in, at a guess, a little over 5 hours! Activision really giving great VFM there!

It was fun while it lasted except for the driving sections which, oddly considering the developer, were too many in number and too skittish in execution with an over-reliance on "surprises" that cause you to cock it up and restart.

A solid 7, then.

EDIT:

And the ending is **** too! What is it with films / games that seem to tack on a twist just for the hell of it?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          Just finished this in, at a guess, a little over 5 hours! Activision really giving great VFM there!

It was fun while it lasted except for the driving sections which, oddly considering the developer, were too many in number and too skittish in execution with an over-reliance on "surprises" that cause you to cock it up and restart.

A solid 7, then.

EDIT:

And the ending is **** too! What is it with films / games that seem to tack on a twist just for the hell of it?
          Indeed, well i feel its a great game actualy, but yeah the driving sections are the worst part, they have odd techincal issues, cars pop up out of nowehere, and the handling is off with breaking just completely broken, nevermind the fact that there are multiple places where you can basicaly fall off a ledge while driving and theres no way to avoid it as you cant see its coming up, which is the worst thing really. The whole thing ends up as trial, and error and not in that classy Limbo type way.

Besides the driving though its a very good shooter, and i play more or less every shooter that comes out, so I think im a good judge.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 05-11-2010, 23:13.

Comment

still really enjoying this, although I must admit the multi-player is quite boring. None the less after completeing this on Agent im now doing it again on 007 difficulty and trying to find all the intel too - I must say I think this game is really underrated and is really worth playing.

I've just finished

Istanbul

on 007 and its not really much harder then agent, which is good and bad I guess - good for collecting trophies but still I was expecting a harder challenge.

Comment

Disappointed to hear the game can be won in 5 hours. The multiplayer mode doesn't sound strong enough to carry the title either.

Although I am a big fan of the franchise I just can't warrant a full whack purchase

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                still really enjoying this, although I must admit the multi-player is quite boring. None the less after completeing this on Agent im now doing it again on 007 difficulty and trying to find all the intel too - I must say I think this game is really underrated and is really worth playing.

I've just finished

Istanbul

on 007 and its not really much harder then agent, which is good and bad I guess - good for collecting trophies but still I was expecting a harder challenge.
                How much harder could 007 difficulty be? You actualy die in one hit moSt of the time on it. The game s designed as though you're James bond though so it's obviously streamlined .

Its really well made thou anyway.

Comment

I think I'm halfway through now and I'm finding it highly ironic that Activision can be at times so hard against EA yet they've released this which could all but pass for one of EA's Bond releases. It's nothing special but decent fun, feels very solid and chunky and only had one wierd moment where Bond droppd through and solid floor and floated off into oblivion with a classic expression on his face

Does make you think though, after Activision balled up the release of Blur and seems to have done the same with this I'm starting to feel that Bizzare might not have made the right decision signing up with them... puts a weird cloud over Bungie's deal too based on this heading so far.

Comment

Finished it and I'm done. The multiplayer seems to already be dying off. I think the EA Bond games comparison holds up, the shooter sections are very Everything or Nothing and the car sections are pretty but suffer the same issues the EA titles had. Fun for the weekend but nothing more.

Comment

I think this is alot better than the other third person bond games.

Everything or Nothing was ok, but From Russia With Love was just rubbish.

This game is actualy a good one though, as a shooter it plays really well and unlike most games upon completion I started it again stright away on the hardest difficulty, which means its really good as that is somthing I only do with the likes of Gears of War and Uncharted 2.

If it wasnt for the fact that I dont like the driving sections that much I would give it 9/10, but as it is, 8 is still a great score I think.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 08-11-2010, 08:50.

Comment

I must be one of the only people who like the driving sections but then again I'm a avid driver of games and real life. The shooting sections are excellent. I love the way you can run in and twat the bad guys or drag them over a wall. I'm really enjoying this game. More so than Quantum of Solace. It's just a shame that Activision are closing Bizarre Creations. They're an excellent studio IMO although BLUR was pretty poor for them.

Comment

My main roblem with the dirving sections was that half the time you couldnt see the bends that were coming up so you had to restart and play again remembering where you have to turn (it was particuarly bad on that icy level).

I agree its a great game though, I dont understand why it seemed to get such poor reviews across the board, only 4 of us have rated it here (only four of us have probabaly played it for that matter) but every rating is above 5 which seems to be the average score its received from the media.

Craziness.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 26-11-2010, 15:40.

Comment

This game is really good , don't get the hate

Comment

Was a big fan of this. Don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as Quantum of Solace but it did an amazing job of actually making you feel like Bond. The controls worked really well, I felt that there was a real fluidity between the standard gunplay and the takedowns.

Was really looking forward to all of the driving sessions but just found that they got in the way most of the time. I only really enjoyed the first one and the Bangkok chase. The Ice level was just horrible

A solid 8/10 for me. Working my way back through it now on 007 but finding the difficulty a bit too unforgiving

Comment

Working...
                              X