Guwange XBLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guwange XBLA

This is one seriously good port. Plays very well indeed even with the standard pad. I haven't tried the two stick control method yet but it seems like a good idea to make the game appeal to newcomers.
    Options wise this has a very comprehensive set is adjustments for the visuals even down to tweaking the RGB values!
    No fancy high resolution art work here just the standard stuff with typical big borders to the sides. Still looks awesome though. The art style in this game is some of Caves best IMHO.
    Another essential title on XBLA. I hope this sells well and Cave keep on releasing stuff in this fashion.

Add Guwange XBLA to your queue here
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

The adjustments here are awesome. BUT, the play size is tiny. I'd say it's only 3/4 of the screen height if that. I have MASSIVE borders top and bottom. I've only tried the demo. Is the full game the same? No way I'm paying for shoddy stuff like this. edit: I'm using VGA. Is it different in component/hdmi?

/me hopes there isn't some option hidden away in the massive option list that he's missed. 1/10 if this isn't fixable.

Edit: this is a problem with my plasma being 1024x768 but widescreen, which Cave didn't bother supporting properly. Every other game I own apart from this and Deathsmiles US works fine.
    Last edited by charlesr; 10-11-2010, 16:58.

Comment

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic...1389&start=360 - shmups thread from this point has impressions from people playing it, and 3/4 of the feedback is about the poor screen options. Looks like they've forced lower resolutions into widescreen, which has upset a lot of folk.
      Last edited by fuse; 10-11-2010, 16:05.

Comment

I will be buying this in a bit regardless of the screen options, I love the game too much not too.

Most people probabaly have big tv's these days anyway so even with borders at the top and bottom its probabaly still alot bigger screen than what it had in the arcade.

Comment

in the trial version does not allow to play it but whats in the xbox 360 arrange mode ?

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            I will be buying this in a bit regardless of the screen options, I love the game too much not too.
            Highly recommend you get the demo first
            Also, in the arcade, you stand inches from the screen.

I'll put up a photo of my plasma in a bit.
            Last edited by charlesr; 10-11-2010, 16:22.

Comment

Tried the demo and bought straight after, it has Borders at the top and bottom but they are increadably tiny. There's hardly any difference than if it filled the screen.

Not sure what the fuss is about, am a bit confused. Seems like a great port.

Comment

I've measured and 1/4 of the height of the screen is missing.

My plasma is 20" top to bottom of visible screen. The game can only be made to appear in 15" of it.

See attached.

I use VGA with the 360 output set to the resolution of the screen (1024x768) and it knows it's a 16:9 screen.
                Deathsmiles (US version) also had the same problem and you'd think after the nerd rage about that, Cave would have fixed this. Poor.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by charlesr; 10-11-2010, 16:39.

Comment

Just found an option to change the scene size. It's hidden away in the screen settings move down to the window options and press A.

Comment

even with borders at the top and bottom its probabaly still alot bigger screen than what it had in the arcade.
                    29" 2' from your face, really?

The game is letterboxed widescreen for 4:3 TV's from what I understand. It's somewhat dumb to assume everyone uses 16:9 especially with a game that tates.

Charles, try 1280 x 768 rather than a 4:3 resolution.

The port itself seems excellent with slowdown in the right places and smoothing off by default and the Inoue backgrounds are

Comment

Just found an option to change the scene size. It's hidden away in the screen settings move down to the window options and press A.
                      Yeah, already maxed that out to get that pic attached. It's even smaller by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post

Charles, try 1280 x 768 rather than a 4:3 resolution.
                        Like Deathsmiles US, that probabaly fixes it, but I'm still calling shoddiness. I don't have to change resolutions for games from any other developers. [/uber nerd resolution rage]

Game did seem pretty good. Lovely style.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 10-11-2010, 17:31.

Comment

i'm away in scotland til monday night, i've been waiting for this since i heard it was coming back in spring ! you could always try the tv's zoom mode if the borders are still there fully maxed out ? i use dot by dot on my plasma, so maybe 1:1 mapping will keep borders, try something else.
                          got the 2100 points and call of duty deal for 39.95 from tesco, so this will be in the bag when i get back ! awesome. i'm sure it aint as complicated as espgaluda2 was. i just couldn't get on with that game at all.

Comment

Love Guwange and this excellent port. Can't believe i have forgotten how tough this game really is, i think it might be the hardest Cave have ever made. Theres just so much to think about other than the onslaught of bullets.

Comment

At last, common sense prevails! An Xbox LIVE Arcade release finally! And after all of the rumour of Radiant Fighters being delayed because of release windows, and here this comes on the same week as COD!!

This game is proper mental though, its very difficult indeed, and I think most of comes with the amount of visual information you have to read in your periferal vision. Practice makes perfect however, and already making Level 3 on score attack on 1 credit.

One thing I will say though, and I don't think its harsh, but the HOW TO PLAY section is utter ****. Tells you absolutely nothing really on how to play the game, whats displayed on the screen (I have no idea what the red and blue bars are at the bottom of the screen), what the different modes bring etc etc.

If any new converts came to this game hearing how good Cave shooters are and gave up 5 minutes in because they didn't have a clue, I can't say that I would blame them.

C'mon Cave, pull your socks up on this. If you want an English translation, ask one of the guys over of Shumps.com to do it, hell they would do it for free if it meant appearing in the credits.

Anyway, despite that, more like this on Xbox Live Arcade please!

Comment

Working...
                              X