Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

There's a first play thread for the demo for this but none for the full game. It's been out a while so I'm guessing that's mostly just a lack of interest but I've been playing it and I felt it deserved a thread. It's a PC horror game by an indie who previously made some game I've never heard of (if I was doing this for a living I'd check what it was, honest).

The game opens in a dark old castle. You have amnesia, hence the title, so the game tells you pretty much nothing at the start except for giving you one memo to push you forward. As you explore early on, you see a bit of the castle, which is fairly typical - torches, bricks, suits of armour and big wooden doors. Nothing special, to be honest.

But you also quickly get a feel for how sanity works in the game. If you're in a panic, the screen distorts, goes all a bit weird and gets weirder unless you can find a safe spot in the light (or with your own light source). Spend too much time in darkness and your mind starts going a bit wobbly. And, when you see things that might freak you out (doors opening etc.), you get the same effect.

It seems your character is rather fragile.

Very early on, you find a note from your past self to yourself now. And so the story begins, which I won't go into. It's told through some flashbacks and your own diaries and everything happens in-game. There are very rare moments where the game will direct your gaze but everything happens as you play.

As you go on, you go deeper into the castle. It gets darker and dingier and you soon find you're not alone. There are things. Monsters? I'm not 100% sure - I haven't looked long enough to find out. You see, you can't fight them. You can only run and hide. And the more you look at them, the more you'll attract their interest. It's a mechanic that works remarkably well. While the early parts of the game seem like they're trying really hard to scare you and aren't always successful, when this enemy mechanic really comes into play, the game gets scary.

A big part of that is the sound so, to get the effect, you need to be playing it loud or with headphones. Creaks, footsteps and all sorts of sounds constantly happen around you, making it feel like you're being stalked all the time. And, often, you are.

I have no idea how far I am in the game. For those who have played it,

I've just come out of the water section

, which was incredibly intense. I was unsure about it at the start but, the more I've played, the more I've got into and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

If you're looking for a horror game, it's worth a look.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I bought the game but got too scared I got as far as "Stay out of the water" threw my hands up, took the headphones off, turned the light on and cried in the corner.

Comment

Sounds like your in the Archive Cellar dogg where the lurkers are. Not even halfway if i remember right.

Yeah the atmosphere is superb and like you said, you do have to wear headphones and play in near darkness or the ambience is lost and you can't really play as you can't see anything.

Best Horror'ish type of game i have played in a long time. reminded me very much of Clive Barkers Undying but better. You're constantly on the hop with everynoise and flashback.

Comment

This game might be a bit much for me. I almost crapped myself a moment ago and I keep switching it off and then, after a while, switching it on and playing a little more. It does get very effective as it goes on.

I was in a bit in a really dark

storage space looking for some parts.

There was a closed door. I opened it and I don't even know what I saw but there was something in there. I just shut the door and ran. It started bashing the door. I hid in another room and exited. No idea if it's still out there but it freaked me out too much to play any more.

I'm definitely finding it a scary game.

Comment

I don't think I actually ever "saw" a monster during my brief play time. The slightest sound that was abnormal and I would jump inside a closet

The sound in Amnesia is intense, that constant noise in the background made me feel uncomfortable.

Comment

Seriously? A
            SERIOUSLY?!

No, Amnesia people. Just no.

Comment

I'll probably get this towards the end of the year, lately haven't really wanted to play anything. I did enjoy the Penumbra series by the same developer, and this seems to be very similar to those titles, so guess I can't really go wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                I opened it and I don't even know what I saw but there was something in there. I just shut the door and ran. It started bashing the door. I hid in another room and exited. No idea if it's still out there but it freaked me out too much to play any more.
                Even though I don't know you as a person I can picture a reaction to this type of situation. Then when deciding if you should continue you say to yourself 'f**k that!' and switch the game off.

I want to play it now. Need a powerful PC? I have a laptop with intel graphics.

Comment

Yeah that's pretty much how it went. And how most of my Amnesia play sessions seem to be going. Not sure of the spec requirements. I'm playing on a good laptop with the highest settings and it runs smoothly. There's a good bit of room to drop res or settings so I imagine you'd find a good balance on any half decent machine - but I'm no expert. Definitely worth playing.

There is a demo apparently so you could test that for the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start To Begin' View Post
                    I want to play it now. Need a powerful PC? I have a laptop with intel graphics.
                    You don't one for this. Its a pretty old engine running it. Almost Half Life old. Used to pretty good effect but still old nontheless. so i wouldn't worry about it. Almost any machine should be able to run this

Comment

If anyone has this on steam it's somehow part of the potatoefoolsday ARG that's on steam at the moment. They have patched the game with a new mini story called Justine, it's one hit kills and no saves allowed, apparently short though. Well worth a try again for it

Comment

I was quite enjoying this until i hit a bug. To escape a monster i closed myself in a room, but the monster just keeps wacking the door and of course i can't open it now to even kill myself.

Comment

^ I Find it easier just to let them kill me when they get a bead on me. It's a faff running away and tryng to find a hidey hole, wondering which way doors are going to open, etc. I usually end up repeatedly hitting myself in the face fumbling with an open door.

Most pathetic lead character in a game ever, btw. Leave him in the dark for a couple of minutes and he collapses on the floor in a gibbering heap.

Comment

Just finished. Very decent game overall, I thought. Scares only somewhat compromised by the comedy voice acting of this muppet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkHu7HaKSs

Also, liked the way

Agrippa was so happy and upbeat and well-balanced, despite being hung up to rot for hundreds of years

Comment

Working...
                            X