Top Darts [PSN/MOVE]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Darts [PSN/MOVE]

I knew nothing about this game before a mate bought it and even if I had I would probably have completely ignored it as I have no real interest in darts.

It's a MOVE only game but I've found the controls to work brilliantly. I took a few goes to understand just how to throw them but after a couple of games it really was second nature.

It's created by Devil's Details who are one of Sony's ever expanding XDEV (EA Partners type studio), the only thing they've done before which I've heard of is Pipemania which I didn't really like,

It means nothing to me but for the people who do watch it the game it has Sid Waddell as the commentator...

I've only had a few brief games after returning home and buying it myself (?6:29) there's loads of different game types as well as the more traditional 301 which I was just playing in a league.

There's a selection of cup and league type championships available but some may be disappointed as it doesn't seem to contain any officially licensed darts stuff.

I found this video on iWaggle and he gives the game a good run through, it's only a few minutes long but it's certainly worth watching.

We had a right laugh playing it in my mates and I'm really enjoying it now I've got it a home. It's been a really pleasant surprise and may be worth considering if you like the sound of it.

Bought this as well last week, really good fun, it reminds me of the Darts equivalent of Hustle Kings with it's presentation. Move controls are great as well once you master how to control the flight of the darts.

Comment

Hustle Kings was the first thing I thought of which certainly isn't a bad thing. That was developed by VooFoo which having looked into it is another one of Sony's 160+ independent XDEV studio partners who are able to share Sony's technology & production staff.

As you mention, it did take me a bit of time to get used to the controls but they seem to make perfect sense once you know what you're doing.

The thing that summed up just how right the controls feel are when the bloke in the iWaggle review points out that you can feel whether you've got it right as soon as you let go of the dart. Of course you get the dart the wrong side of the wire sometimes but it just feels so natural when you're playing it.

So far this is not only one of my favourite MOVE games but one of the best implementations of motion controls in a game on any platform. It's been such a pleasant surprise and it's a real shame that there's no demo as I can imagine people not wanting to risk £6:29 on a game like this.

I'm now tempted to take a chance with John Daly's Prostroke Golf as that's another MOVE only game with left me a little cautious but the demo really had the controls nailed down when I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
        So far this is not only one of my favourite MOVE games but one of the best implementations of motion controls in a game on any platform. It's been such a pleasant surprise and it's a real shame that there's no demo as I can imagine people not wanting to risk £6:29 on a game like this.

I'm now tempted to take a chance with John Daly's Prostroke Golf as that's another MOVE only game with left me a little cautious but the demo really had the controls nailed down when I tried it.
        Yeah I was impressed with the controls as well, how you have to throw smoothly and weight it correctly otherwise the darts fly off target or land on the board at different angles.

Haven't played the John Daly demo yet, will have to check it out when I get the chance, only Move golf game I have atm is Planet Mini Golf which is pretty good as well.

Still need to get round to buying some of the retail games as all my purchases have been PSN titles so far. Been looking at that new Cabala Hunting game which uses Move controls, it's getting pretty decent reviews, think it's US only at the minute though.

Comment

Played this the other down my mates, its utterly brilliant , controls brilliantly and the graphics are amazing.

Comment

think i'll get this in preparation for the world championship darts at the Larkside in Jan 2011!

Comment

be warned - this get dull, very quickly

and you could scream after 30mins of sids commentry

Comment

how are you doing with it now?

Comment

Working...
                X