Gray Matter [PC/360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gray Matter [PC/360]

Been looking forward to this for a while and happily it dropped through the letter box the week. This is actually the first Jane Jensen game I've played myself, but my girlfriend has played all the Gabriel Knights and read her books before so it was really her getting me interested in this one.

In short, this is a properly old-school point-and-click adventure game. And I mean old; It was originally unveiled in 2003's E3, put on hold in '04, resurrected two years later and then switched developers and delayed until now. To put it in context, when my girlfriend asked me if it would run on her laptop I pointed out to her than the minimum specs pretty much matched the specs of the PC I owned when we first met 7 years ago. Although the protracted development sounds a bit grim, the effects of it aren't too terrible; this is still quite a budget title and its main draw was never going to be blowout AAA visuals.

So it's a traditional point-and-click, presented with 3D rendered character models set on 2D drawn backgrounds which, to be brutally honest, do feel a bit two-thousand-and-late (yep, I went there) but it really isn't an impediment to playing the game at all. In terms of building the dark, moody settings of Oxford(!) it does get drawn together well. I noticed some reviews have had a pop at the basic 2D animated (in the loosest sense of the word) cutscenes but I quite prefer them to the in-game rendered graphics, even if the characters do look a bit different to their in-game models.

But back to the game, it centres around two protagonists: Prof. David Styles, a reclusive, slightly mad/creepy neurobiologist who grief-strickenly spends his days researching and experimenting on how to contact his dead wife, and Samantha Everett, a magician on the road without a penny to her name who stumbles across Styles' mansion when she is stranded by her broken-down bike and pretends to be a student at nearby Oxford Uni who is responding to Styles' request for a new assistant. She ends up living at the mansion and serving to recruit 6 students to participate in Style's latest experiment by using some of the sleight-of-hand trickery from her magic acts; meanwhile Sam also learns of the mysterious Daedalus magic club (bit of a magic circle / megaclub) and starts investigating how she can get involved with that too.

Much like in Gabriel Knight, control alternates between each of the two protagonists in each chapter and the magic theme does bring plenty to the gameplay proceedings, as Sam has a book of tricks that she can apply to more everyday situations for her own benefit (e.g. using a magic trick where she would burn a card and make it reappear by way of a decoy, but using it to steal an item from someone by making it look as if she's burning it). These tricks are performed by putting them together using the trick book like a sort of step-by-step cookery guide (e.g. take item in right hand, misdirect target, palm item to right sleeve, move decoy to right hand). Whilst hardly a gameplay revolution, it adds another way of interacting to the mix that changes up the usual point, click, find item, use item formula that is such a staple of the genre.

But the formula is still a main aspect of the game and the problems of the genre still remain as well. Although there is a labelling system that marks up everything on the screen that can be interacted with, saving players from the old pixel hunts of previous games, there is a strict adherence to things happening in a strict order, so even if you have worked out a puzzle solution, you can't solve it until you've found all the trigger points that make the in-game character realise the solution themselves, leading to a few frustrating sequences where you search for the last trigger point before you can move on to the next section.

That being said, there are couple of great head-scratching puzzles in there, in particular some riddles that are wonderfully satisfying to solve. There is a strong logic that ties all the puzzles together and whilst there is some scope to force through the puzzles with trial-and-error, the game provides some scope to let you solve them on your own as well.

I find myself disagreeing with Edge's view of the characters being unlikeable; I found a surprising amount of depth to them and the protagonists are particularly well constructed. They're both slightly unhinged in their own ways but you eventually see more of what's behind them and more of their character in their dialogue. Jensen has mentioned that she has written them in such a way that Gray Matter can launch into a series of further episodes, as Gabriel Knight did before it and I'd look forward to them if the do get greenlit.

Most of all, it just makes me happy that a game like this can still be made today. Looking at it, it really is a game from yesteryear, but it's a genre I enjoy and one I'm glad I can still get new titles from. Also another game that's not too long either (again, a good fit for the reduced price point as well) so me and The Lady have been able to blast through it in about 13-14 hours over this weekend. I'd happily queue up for more.

Nice impressions. I read the Edge review and remained interested despite the negatives. I like games which feel fresh, even in their retro-ness, and the premise, characters, gameplay and story seem interesting.

Comment

If the controls on the 360 demo are anything to go by you'll want to be playing this on the PC. They were downright archaic, got in the way of actually playing the game.

Comment

I played the demo for this and found it pretty awful, and I love adventure games. The character felt disconnected from the world, the animation was terrible, and the interface didn't seem to correlate with what it was pointed at. Is the full version better with regards to these things? (360)

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
          If the controls on the 360 demo are anything to go by you'll want to be playing this on the PC. They were downright archaic, got in the way of actually playing the game.
          This would be my complaint too. I was quite looking forwards to this but just got frustrated at the demo.

Comment

Yeah, I tried the demo on 360 and pretty much decided at that point it was meant to be played on PC so I can't really comment at all on the full 360 package. From the demo, I actually thought the interface was a bit inventive - a lazy port would've just used the same point-and-click interface but by controlling the pointer with the thumbstick. Once I realised the location of interactive elements on the control wheel isn't necessarily related to where it is in the environment it got a bit easier.

The opening room of the demo with Sam finding her rabbit Houdini is very mucha tutorial piece (and a fairly weak one, at that) but that's pretty much the only part of the game that strays from the plot path in terms of getting you to do pointless or arbitrary actions - the rest of the game does well to keep all tasks on track in terms of contributing to the plot or following a character's motives, so that is slightly unrepresentative.

The second demo sequence, with Prof. Styles, is what really got me intrigued with the game a bit further, really. He's basically pretty tapped in the head, mental with grief and trying to recreate anything that can reconnect him with his deceased wife. It's really quite creepy, how he obsesses about recreating it all, so while it is a bit of a large leap for the player to connect with him, it always was going to be a large ask when you're basically asked to look through the eyes of a madman for a bit.

I won't go into any spoilers now but the aspects around Laura (Styles' deceased wife) provide the most interesting parts of the storyline, mostly due to how subtly the parts involving her are written; it gets drawn together in a tantalising gradual manner.

I forgot to mention the music, courtesy of Robert Holmes (or Mr. Jensen) which is hauntingly chilling, and really matches in with the beautifully drawn backgrounds (which will do Oxford's tourist board few favours as it end up looking very cold and sinister).

The story and atmosphere are the main draws here and veterans of Jensen & holmes' work will know a bit of what to expect. It's not exactly a literary triumph, there are weaknesses and holes here and there, but when the rest of writing in videogames ends up so poor the rest of the time it doesn't have to work hard to stand out as a worthwhile effort in that regard.

Comment

Working...
            X