Ridge Racer 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ridge Racer 3DS

Only played the first GP so far, and now checking out the music, which seems to have a lot more guitars in it than I expected and most of it doesn't seem to have the immediacy I was hoping for, though My Crazy Chainsaw seems a bit more like it (though it's not as savage as a name like that would suggest!).

The graphics seem pretty good, like sharper versions of RR5's graphics for the most part.

After the first GP I'm left wanting faster cars and music with more energy. The 3D seems to work pretty well though in bonnet cam, seems to add something to the game.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I'm intrested in this, is this a compilation like the PSP games or is it something new?

Comment

Shame they didn't put any form of AA on the graphics like in Street Fighter, really enjoying it so far, tis classic Ridge.

How do you change cameras?

Comment

This arrived from Amazon this morning but I played on a copy at work yesterday. All I can say is that I'm selling the Amazon copy straight away!!

The graphics are "fine" if you play with the 3D off but the second you nudge the slider they turn into a spectacular mess of jaggies and some nasty framerate dips. Also, on the courses from Rage Racer there is some nasty fade in of buildings.

The music isn't anywhere near as good as past RR games (especially after the amazingness of the RR4 soundtrack).

The handling is okay but the D-Pad is too low on the console and you can't play RR with analogue controls. Also, the hardness of the 3DS buttons leads to achy thumb syndrome after a couple of races.

A massive letdown!!

Comment

Crispy there's a camera mode icon on the bottom screen that you tap to change cameras

Comment

Haha, can't believe I missed that.

There's a shed load of music in this, all the old school stuff is in there.

Comment

I like Ridge Racer but found the buttons to be a bit small for drifting and accelerating. I think I may have problems in the future playing racing games on the 3DS because of the size of my hands.

The 3D effect seems really subtle on this compared to Monkey Ball and Pilotwings. It's a good little game but not nearly as nice looking as I would have hoped for.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                I'm intrested in this, is this a compilation like the PSP games or is it something new?
                Yeah, it's a compilation, got tracks from the first 7 games, dunno if they're all in there, but there seems to be a decent selection.

Comment

wasn't expecting this to be as good as it is, I'm not the biggest of RR nuts but bought a few, handling and tracks and structure is exactly what you'd expect.

I wasn't expecting the well implemented 3D and graphics though, its very nice, smooth/fast and I don't notice the jaggies people are mentioning.

not ground breaking but at the moment prefer it to Pilotwings, the 3d is less eye straining.

Comment

I've been hammering this for a while now and I've just reached the end of the Category 4 races. First proper impressions now I've got to sit down with it:

+ It's Ridge Racer, it handles like ridge, it plays like ridge.
                    + Framerate pretty solid throughout.
                    + Liking the new cars, the return of old ones from 6 and 7.
                    + Same with the tracks, some really good ones returning from 6 and 7.
                    + 3D is used to very good effect, especially when playing in first person.
                    + Nice progression with the grand prix, obtaining new cars etc.
                    + Customised nitrous settings.

- Soundtrack is a bit meh, but i've not given it a proper listen yet
                    - 3D depth slider on this is really hard to focus on when maxed out. Don't have this problem on my other games, just this one. Not a huge biggie.
                    - Ultimate Charge is next to useless. and barely refills any faster. Might as well not have put it in at all.
                    - No online.
                    - No CPU cars in offline multiplayer.

With all of that said, the very fact that it's Ridge Racer playing properly in 3D has me grinning. I guess when the novelty factor of that wears off I'll be able to see more into the game underneath it, but so far I'm really, really enjoying it.

Comment

This is ace. Ridge Racer tune playing out whilst drifting around RRR track. A must for Ridge fans.

I was scared when I read it introduces US muscle car types. But that's fine seeing as some of the classic stuff is still in there.

Comment

What's everyones fav music disc? Liking disc 3 myself.

Comment

My faves are My Crazy Chainsaw, Dr Mad's Back and Rotten 7 Remix, the first two are old school hardcore type stuff and the latter's some pretty cool banging techno, perfect for Ridge racer! So I'd agree on Disc 3, I think the first 2 tunes are on that one.

Comment

ooooo does anyone know if Rotterdam Nation '94 is on it? XD

Comment

Is it my failing memory or are the textures here much lower than the PSP version?

Comment

Working...
                              X