Moon Diver (demo) [PS3 / X360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon Diver (demo) [PS3 / X360]

Well the demo is out on the JPN and US PSN, not sure about XBLA. Thought someone should make a topic.

If the demo is any indication of the final game, then in my view it's a load of old balls. Playing it I think to myself: maybe people are right when they say Japan is failing when it comes to games development. To think I had been holding off buying Hard Corps, saving my PSN money, for this! And they say it's like a next-gen Strider? Pah!

It reminds me a LOT of Blade Kitten's demo. Both games feature the ability to cling to the ceiling, and in both cases it controls pretty much identically as you waltz around defying gravity. In both games the jumping is light and floaty, and in both games the combat is fairly insipid and mindless. They also both attempt a similar 2D side-scrolling effect with 3D polygons and zooming in-and-out. I mean, to me it almost looks like a re-skinned Blade Kitten - just different graphics and sound.

The thing is, I really liked Blade Kitten. In BK the emphasis was on exploring giant platform levels, like a 16-bit platformer like Earthworm Jim or something. In Moon Diver there's none of that level architecture to explore, and instead it focuses on a really ****ty combat system. You bump away at a single button, slashing brainless enemies, and can use magic, but it's all pointless since it's easier to just run past them. Sometimes you're locked in by magic walls and have to defeat them all to progress, but I managed to do so without even thinking. They just stand around like a cheap Final Fight clone taking hits <YAAAAWN>.

So it's pretty much all the worst stuff from BK, without any of the cool music, nice graphical style, pop-culture humour, or expansive level exploration. The fact magazines like GamesTM gave BK 3/10, I can only imagine this would have to get a 1/10?

Worst demo I have played in years. Utterly devoid of charm or interesting gameplay, slow, boring, unappealing, stylistically ugly, just ****ing **** in absolutely every regard. Immediately deleted with extreme prejudice.

If you want 2D action, buy Hard Corps. I wouldn't even play this if GamesTM hired me to review it.

I tried playing it for a couple of mins, just couldn't get into it. It had the visuals of a low budget ps2 game. Will give it another whirl when it hits xbox live.

Comment

Hard Corps totally pi$$3s on this.

Comment

I'll wait till I've played the game properly. I will admit though that the demo is not good. Oh and Blade Kitten wasn't very good either.

Comment

Tried the demo on PSN today, as it's still not on the 360. Must admit, I had hyped myself up for this and it is quite disappointing - especially having just had Hard Corps so recently - but in sticking it out to the end of the demo I found myself enjoying it a little more as time went on. Get the distinct impression it would be considerably better in multiplayer, too.

Think I will probably give it another crack when it comes to 360.

Also, wish they'd stuck with the "Neuromachina" name. I told my mate I was looking forwards to playing "Moon Diver" and his response was "yeah, that sounds like something you'd do on a Friday night"
          Last edited by fuse; 04-04-2011, 08:57.

Comment

Isn't "moon" the official term to show one's buttocks?

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            Get the distinct impression it would be considerably better in multiplayer, too.
            Ask the significant other if they're keen on trying some Moon Diving this evening.

Comment

Working...
            X