L.A. Noire 360/PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete.

That's precisely what I was saying further up. All assists off, left to your own logic and ability to seek out the clues and the you start to see the best of this game. If you storm through it with all the assists on it starts to feel like it's doing all the hard work for you.

One thing I will say... They were close to nailing the template for a stellar game on first attempt. I feel with a few logical tweaks, some refinement etc... And basically they have a whole franchise on their hands that is truly great.

Comment

I'm on 'The Gas Man' case at the minute. Does anyone know roughly how far I am from the end?
      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Not far, maybe three or so hours more

Comment

I'm quite tempted to turn off the assists myself too. I've sadly got myself in the routine of entering a room and then just walking around mashing A whenever the controller vibrates until I've found all of the clues, checking the notebook to make sure the area has been crossed off, then moving on.

I think I'd enjoy it more if I wasn't getting these assists.

Comment

I turned all the assists off from the start and so far I've done pretty well on all but 1 of the cases (15 done so far), but I've not nailed any 100% yet.

Comment

I seem to have lots of problems picking relevant evidence. I only get something like 1/3 questions right on average.

Maybe I just suck as this and don't pay as much attention as I should.

Comment

If starting the game completely new do you recommend turning off the assists from the beginning or would it make it harder to get started? Does it give you a bit of a tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                  I seem to have lots of problems picking relevant evidence. I only get something like 1/3 questions right on average.

Maybe I just suck as this and don't pay as much attention as I should.
                  Half of the time its impossible to know what the right answers are, the questioning doesnt relaly work as what you personaly think about the case and what the game thinks about the case are two different things, and the only right answer is what the game thinks. One of my biggest complaints about the game is that you dont really feel liek youre playing as the main character, youre really just observing him, which is not what a game should be about.

Its very limited. It also make it virtualy impossible for you to get the achievment for 5 starring all the cases without the help of a walkthrough really, and that would make the questioning even more boring, so I doubt many people will ever get that achievment.

Comment

Is there a chance that you're just rubbish? Because you can't blame the game for you not being able to play it. I messed up interviews, but I only ever got two or three questions wrong in each case, and I could see why that was after seeing what played out in the "wrong" line of questioning. It's certainly easy enough to read the situations you're in (if you're good at the game). It's certainly not impossible, and that's a ridiculous assertion.

Comment

The interrogations are a bit hit-and-miss. A big problem is that you don't really know what Phelps says when you pick an option, sometimes he goes bat-****-raging etc. I agree with what rmoxon said, that because the game accepts only certain answers it's sometimes hard to know what is required if you think the situation differently yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                        Is there a chance that you're just rubbish? Because you can't blame the game for you not being able to play it. I messed up interviews, but I only ever got two or three questions wrong in each case, and I could see why that was after seeing what played out in the "wrong" line of questioning. It's certainly easy enough to read the situations you're in (if you're good at the game). It's certainly not impossible, and that's a ridiculous assertion.
                        Not really, you cant be rubbish at this game. This isnt a game about skill, the developers have actualy gone out of their way to remove any need for skill, you can completely skip every single one of the action moments in the game and all the detective stuff is sign posted even if you take the clues off, youre lead by the hand all the way.

However the parts where you question witnesses are just not done well at all, you often dont have any way of reading a witness (as they will quite often say very little) and as a result the game relies almost purley on guess work for these situations. in fact if you think too hard about it and actualy go on logic then youre often wrong. For example, for some reason there doesnt seem to be a single person in the game that ever tells you the whole truth, why is that? does every single person in the game really have someone to hide? I doubt it really, the developers just want you to vary your answers without giving you any real reason too, its not done well at all.

Also somtimes people are lying and you know it but the game wont let you be a good detective, you arent allowed to ask questions that make them trip up, you need evidence, if you dont have the evidence then you hit a brick wall and have to move on, theres somthing about it that just doesnt flow right at all.

I understand this is the structure of the game and thats how the developers made it, but I was really disapointed, I wanted to feel like i was a detective, not someone sat behind a detective backing him up and ocasionaly telling him where to walk too. I dont mind linear games at all, but this is one game that needed a heck of alot more freedom than youre given really.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 26-05-2011, 16:52.

Comment

^ hey rmoxon, that sounds like exactly the same kind of limitations that you get in the Phoenix Wright games, i.e.: a matter of bringing the right statement/object out at the 'right' time (when the game wants you to), even though you may have worked out the crime or understood a character's motivations some time previously. Is that fair? (Sorry, just trying to get a feel for L A Noire before deciding whether or not to purchase.)

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            Not really, you cant be rubbish at this game. This isnt a game about skill, the developers have actualy gone out of their way to remove any need for skill, you can completely skip every single one of the action moments in the game and all the detective stuff is sign posted even if you take the clues off, youre lead by the hand all the way.
                            How can you say that you can't be rubbish at the game after admitting that you can't play it and you're getting every question wrong? There's a difference that you're missing. You're saying that you can't be rubbish because you can't "lose" the game, because there's always another thread that you can follow to catch the suspect. I'm saying that you can be rubbish at the game, as you've proved by not being very good at it.

You can't work out how to read witnesses, that's because you're bad at the game. I've been pretty good at it and I've branched most of the questions right, that's because I'm good at the game. Neither of us will lose, but I'm definitely better at it than you are, and so there's still skill involved, even if it's not essential to reaching the end.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                              How can you say that you can't be rubbish at the game after admitting that you can't play it and you're getting every question wrong? There's a difference that you're missing. You're saying that you can't be rubbish because you can't "lose" the game, because there's always another thread that you can follow to catch the suspect. I'm saying that you can be rubbish at the game, as you've proved by not being very good at it.

You can't work out how to read witnesses, that's because you're bad at the game. I've been pretty good at it and I've branched most of the questions right, that's because I'm good at the game. Neither of us will lose, but I'm definitely better at it than you are, and so there's still skill involved, even if it's not essential to reaching the end.
                              What im saying is that i dont belive theres any skill involved in reading people, and in fact most people in this thread seem to agree with me.

Ok, I get it, You think i'm rubbish, but I just think youre lucky to have picked alot of right answers, becuase I dont think there are clues there at all half the time really and I dont think theres any skill involved in the game.

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                              ^ hey rmoxon, that sounds like exactly the same kind of limitations that you get in the Phoenix Wright games, i.e.: a matter of bringing the right statement/object out at the 'right' time (when the game wants you to), even though you may have worked out the crime or understood a character's motivations some time previously. Is that fair? (Sorry, just trying to get a feel for L A Noire before deciding whether or not to purchase.)
                              I dont think the Gameplay is what makes the Phoenix Wright games special, its their humour, their characthers, and their stories. L.A. Noire is lacking on all those fronts IMO, I wouldnt recomend it to a pheonix wright fan unless for some reason you really love gameplay that guides you by the hand and requires no skill what so ever.

L.A. Noire is worth playing, but its not great in any way, all its gameplay elements are average at best and its structured in a way that actualy makes you less immersed in the experience. All that is a shame, becuase
                              the time and setting has been recreated brilliantly and it does have some really nice touches, but as an actual game its lacking.
                              Last edited by rmoxon; 26-05-2011, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                                What im saying is that i dont belive theres any skill involved in reading people, and in fact most people in this thread seem to agree with me.

Ok, I get it, You think i'm rubbish, but I just think youre lucky to have picked alot of right answers, becuase I dont think there are clues there at all half the time really and I dont think theres any skill involved in the game.
                                There are always clues there, I don't know if it's me you're trying to convince that you're not bad at the game, or yourself. Nobody likes to admit that they suck at something, I guess

If you're finding it tough, it's because you're not paying close enough attention, or you've come into the interview without enough evidence through a poor investigation, or something. This is a problem with you, not the game. The game always gives you enough because it's a game, that's the entire point of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X