No announcement yet.

SSX3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering I'm not going to use the online play on the PS2 version, what's the best one? Is the XBox one 60Hz? And is it playable on the XBox control pad? Pity about the GC one missing moves... that's really quite stupid.

Comment

Looks like this has made the list aswell then !

Im thinking PS2 - online play + better pad (for this type of game)

But can you chaps say whether its PAL or NTSC verions ur playing ?? My PS2 is chipped but xbox isnt

Comment

Sorry can someone just clear this up for me. Does the PS2 pal version have online play. If not may I as well get the Xbox version.

Thanks

Comment

SSX3 PAL does have online play

Comment

I bought SSX Tricky after lots of positive reviews and feedback, but I was really disappointed with it. Can anyone confirm if SSX 3 improves any of these issues I had with the game:

- The collision detection was pretty appalling in places.

- Getting stuck behind objects (Marcus has mentioned this is still an issue )

- Sometimes the course would penalise you for straying an inch from the track, other times it would let you wander miles into no-mans land .

- The racing structure (race the same course three times in a row) was very tiresome.

- It took ages to build up your character until he/she seemed to move at any sort of speed, even with the boost button held down.

- The loading times took forever.

Maybe it isn't for me, but I much preferred the finesse of Amped over SSX. Could SSX3 change my mind?

Comment

Not sure Brats.

As much as I'm enjoying SSX3, I think I enjoyed Amped a lot more. SSX just lacks the feel of carving along the snow, it also lacks the skill in landing. For example you could be doing a huge flip and hold it until the last second, but when you release the button the character quickly spins into the correct landing position. Sometimes you still crash if you are too late, but most of the time landing is very easy.

It is a very different game, which is why I'm still enjoying it. Presentation is second to none in the genre, and this is easily the best game of the series (which up to now, I've not liked).

As for you points...
              - The collision detection was pretty appalling in places. -- Not had any problems here

Getting stuck behind objects (Marcus has mentioned this is still an issue) -- happend a few times, but there is a reset button. Some tracks are unfair, such as Metro City, where if you jump slightly off centre you'll end up getting stuck between buildings. Getting stuck is very rare, so isn't at all a major problem.

Sometimes the course would penalise you for straying an inch from the track, other times it would let you wander miles into no-mans land -- I guess this is still true, but the tracks are quite clearly defined. Once you've tried a track a couple of times you tend to learn what you can and cannot do.

- The racing structure (race the same course three times in a row) was very tiresome -- still the same, but the races are only 3 or so minutes anyway.

It took ages to build up your character until he/she seemed to move at any sort of speed, even with the boost button held down. -- I'm building up fairly quickly, and am noticing improvements in my character. The game doesn't feel very quick though, to be honest.

The loading times took forever -- initial load is quite long, and it is when you transport to a new location or enter the lodge. I've seen far worse loading, and the game is getting a lot of stuf so it is acceptable. The final peak races are very smartly coded, as it really does feel like you are racing down an entire mountain without stopping at all.

I hope that helps

Comment

- The collision detection was pretty appalling in places. Considering the amount of obstacles and potential situations these effect, its no surprise to me the CD isnt pin sharp. Is it better than before - I dont know - but grinding is less forgiving than say JSRF, and rarely do I find myself cursing the game over poor CD)

- Getting stuck behind objects (Marcus has mentioned this is still an issue) Yes this happens on occasion, but not as much as before, the general rule is dont screw up that badly and it wont be a problem, learn the courses well)

- Sometimes the course would penalise you for straying an inch from the track, other times it would let you wander miles into no-mans land . (Still happens, you can sometimes hit a point in the course whereby it just resets you straight away, at other times you can make massive deviations from your intended route, the former annoys me, the latter doesnt, I call it exploration)

- The racing structure (race the same course three times in a row) was very tiresome. (Racing structure is still the same here, each time you race it gets harder, SSX3 is a lot more challenge based than before though, racing is only a part of it)

- It took ages to build up your character until he/she seemed to move at any sort of speed, even with the boost button held down. (The main use for boosting Ive found to be to increaas speed when grinding, it makes little difference elsewhere, but is useful for getting you off to a good start)

- The loading times took forever. (Not an issue for me, I dont mind waiting for a game as enjoyable as this)

Im not convinced you will love the game if you find these are real issues, SSX has always been flawed genius to me, and probably always will be. Yet SSX3 is the most stable, enjoyable and beautiful yet for me, and Im having a great time playing it much as I have in the past. If you accept that its not a perfect game, and take it for what it is then I doubt you will be disappointed.

Comment

Yeah Metro City can be a pain sometimes for getting snagged, especially when doing big jumps where you can get caught on ledges of buildings. But Metro City has always had a bit of trail and error involved so It doesn't bother me too much. I like the reward of mastering the course. Actually last night I got caught behind a building with a barrier to my right between me and the track, there was no where else to go, after a few manic button presses my guy put his hand on the barrier and flipped himself up and on the barrier. Cool touch

I find the unexpected reset more of a problem near the top of the mountain where there's no pre-defined course to follow than the true race courses. As long as you don't stray too far from the stripy neon lit bits you shouldn't encounter it too often.

Character building does seem a bit more noticable this time around. I'm on around the 4th tier of upgrades and my character is already a huge improvement over his starting stats. God knows what he's going to be like when he's maxed out.

As for loading times, I'm playing the Xbox version and I'm guessing everything is cached cause the loading times are very swift. Can't comment on other versions.

Comment

I've posted this in PAL gaming too because I want to find someone who can back me up. It's not my imagination I'm sure:

I seem to be the only person I know that has noticed this, but in the PAL versions I've seen of both SSX Tricky and SSX3 there is constant frame skipping a la the PAL60 mode in Halo. I own a Japanese NTSC copy of SSX Tricky and it's really nice and smooth (it slows down when lots is going on but that's a different issue).

I bought the PAL Xbox version of SSX3 yesterday, but in both 50 and 60Hz modes it's got the horrible frame skipping problem. You'd probably only notice it if you've played an NTSC version but once you have it'll annoy the crap out of you. Look out for the snowflakes on the menu screens - they judder across the screen in the PAL version and in-game you can really notice the chevrons judder past to your left and right while on the ntsc version it's really smooth.

I love the SSX games but EA have messed up the PAL versions and no-one except me has noticed.

Comment

Yeah you're right, though it doesn't detract anything for the gameplay as it's not really noticable while playing. The only time I notice it is on the main menu (the snowflakes as you mentioned) and when there's a cablecar cutscene (when it goes past the camera), other than that there's usually too much going on to pinpoint it.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys . The verdict seems to be that the niggles are still there, but in a lesser form, which might be good enough this time around.

I'll think I'll give this a try, although it can probably wait a while as Amped 2 should be arriving any minute .

Comment

Be sure to start a new topic for Amped 2, I'm interested in seeing how it has been improved over the original before buying...

Comment

Will do .

Comment

Are the Uber tricks any better in SSX3 compaired to Tricky? Basically I loved Tricky and it was because you could pull off the most crazy tricks ever. Also is the show off mode got more routes to use to get big points. Usually there was a certain way I would play each course on Tricky to get maxium points. Oviously there will be a best way but is it harder to find than in Tricky.

I really can't decided whether to buy this game or not. I really want some PC upgrades so I can play Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, but SSX Tricky was very good, I thought, so I might have to splash out of SSX3.

Comment

I'm near the end of Peak 2 now...

but can someone please tell me how the hell you pull off a level 3 Uber move? I've built up the bar to Super Uber, yet my moves are still only level 2 ones...

Bah.

Comment

Working...
                                X