Dark Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Souls

I think the best way to describe the game is to tell what happens...I'll tell you when you can actually read something without spoiling the first hours. For those wishing to read everything, I've spoilered the most interesting parts.

After choosing your avatar's appearance, starting class and gift (special equipment, like binoculars, talismans with no effect or nothing at all, like I did) the intro starts and you find yourself locked in a jail...with full armor on, if you are a knight like me.
    This jail is the Undead Asylum, where undead are placed away from what remains of the human civilization.
    A mysterious knight helps you out and my first thought was: "your armor will be mine". Anyway, the Asylum is a introductory stage similar to the small dungeon in Demon's Souls, though a bit more complex and, due to the locked doors and

even a merchant (remember the crow girl in 4-1?)

, you can probably return there.
    Between you and "freedom" there a large demon. First you see it far away, with a solid brick wall between it (I think it's a she though) and you. Second encounter...mhmmm, run. You are equipped with a broken sword anyway.
    After a while you see the familiar sight of an archway shrouded in a gray fog and you end up in the same room where you "fought" the large demon, only a couple of stories higher.

Maneuver the camera and the demon is staring at you with a perverse laugh on her face.
    "Oh sh*t let's turn back" but the fog blocks you. "What to d..."and the demon jumps on the ledge where you are and brings you down to the ground floor.
    The way to win this battle is to jump from the ledge and use the new plunge attack that will drain half of the demon's health. But then it between your weapon and her large, large mace.

After the battle you are brought to the local nexus, but instead of being a hub, the world is seamlessy connected with location names popping up when you are actually there.
    Take the wrong turn and you'll end up in a graveyard where skeletons will rip you a couple of new ones without giving any soul back. Or in a submerged town where the blacksmith is, along with incorporeal ghost that you to attack by using a certain item; and those ghosts have an attack similar to the Mind Flayers in D'sS prison level, only ranged. Your sword will be useless but fire comes in handy.

The "correct" way is to the first city of the undead, Undeadburg. Here enemies are much more manageable...more on this in the spoiler-free section. Continue in Undeadburg and...

HOLY SH*T A DRAGON JUST PLUNGED FROM THE SKY. But it flew away.

And so, a new fog-protected door, let's go through it.
    Uhmmm...a narrow passage way with towers? D'sS come to mind...two snipers on the tower right behind me, let's take care of them first. Let's run to the other way then...

OMG A MINOTAUR JUST DESTROYED WHERE I WAS GOING. AND IT'S NOW COMING AFTER ME

. "To the tower, I'll be safe if I climb it!"

Yeah right, Mr. Minotaur jumps on the tower and kills me

SPOILER FREE SECTION.
    !!!
    SPOILER FREE SECTION.

So yeah, Dark Souls is a refined Demon's Souls, but it's immensely refined. Even the world "hub" is a complex maze to explore and the first "location" is as complex as the last section of Boletaria.
    Enemies, all enemies, have better pathfinding routines and they will actively chase you through out the level if you aren't quick enough. Check one thing from my wishlist.
    Although it's possible to lure enemies, their position and weapons are much more varied and make great use of the environment. Expect lance-wielding enemies in narrow spots were your lateral-hitting sword is almost useless, expect them to parry and riposte (!), expect them to act in groups where one throws fire bombs while a swordman keeps you busy and an axe wielder jumps on you.
    It's gorgeous, it's the perfect starting point for those who have already completed the D'sS, as many things remained the same, like weapon prerequisites. Other, like how weapons attack and combo have been changed and from what I've seen from enemies, weapons have been differentiated even more.

Sections load seamlessy, though in certain area the PS3 stutters a bit; in fact, I think that the higher polygonal count and effects have had bad results on the overall framerates; nothing that really drags the whole game down, but I would have favored less technical eye-candy for better framerates and maybe a simpler design...my very first impression is that the art direction is a bit more "baroque" than D'sS and less stunning despite the added detail. One type of enemy I've encountered (the ghosts) looked a bit silly and players' ghosts have a different shader that makes them look duller...but this is probably personal taste. Bosses, as usual, look amazing.

Something that I didn't like is how players are littering the world with pointless messages, but this is completely unrelated to the game itself... just wish that there wasn't a "I can't take this" every two steps.

POLL RESULTS as of 10th November 2011:
    View Poll Results: What starting class did you choose?

oters 68.

10 - This is incredible!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Make it go away! Where's Farmville?
    0%

"Something that I didn't like is how players are littering the world with pointless messages, but this is completely unrelated to the game itself... just wish that there wasn't a "I can't take this" every two steps."

In Demon's Souls you had the option of turning messages off, I seem to remember. Not possible here?

Comment

Just play offline?

Comment

I didn't know it was possible in D'sS. I'll have to check, the manual is just 16 pages split between two languages (English and French), it doesn't tell much. I still have to download the guide which might give a more in-depth look at the system, though not having it at the ready will thwart any temptation to read it.

Comment

The messages can sometimes remove a bit of the atmosphere but DS without them wouldn't be DS

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
            The messages can sometimes remove a bit of the atmosphere but DS without them wouldn't be DS
            True, and planting misleading messages was one of my guilty pleasures of Demon's Souls. 'Jump Down'. Even though you weren't there to see the result - lol!

Comment

god damn it, ive had dark souls since last saturday but due to playing ico+colosus hd and also having atelier totori and disgaea 4 i just duno when the hell i'm gonna start playing it.

Comment

Sounds like you should look into the ol' one-game-at-a-time-philosophy. I don't like having multiple new games as I find myself jumping back and forth between them, occasionally rushing them in order to start another, and ultimately not savouring them in their entirety. But to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by mugetsu View Post
                  god damn it, ive had dark souls since last saturday but due to playing ico+colosus hd and also having atelier totori and disgaea 4 i just duno when the hell i'm gonna start playing it.
                  Thats disgusting!

Loads of us have been waiting ages for this game and youve been hiding a copy at home without even playing it!!

Comment

Haha. Where have people been ordering this to get it early?

Comment

^ Shopto, I did. Shipped today.

Comment

I've had it for a week or so but as a promotional copy, my actual paid for copy left Tesco's hands yesterday.

In terms of comparing the formats I'd be really keen to see if there's a performance hit in

Blightown

as some parts of it are making the 360 chug a fair bit.

Comment

How does the message system work? How does the game choose what message to show if mulitiple people leave them.

Comment

Pretty sure if you don't receive any ratings on a comment for a certain period, it just removes them.

Comment

g-force in glasgow have been selling it since last week(ps3 LE)
                              i popped through on saturday on the offchance and they had about 20 copies on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X