The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Largo View Post
    Im loving this so far, however the game does randomly crash to desktop occasionaly, and sometimes textures for armor appear blank, weird

i hope they fix the crash to desktop tho, its really strange
    From the Bethesda forums: "If you're crashing to the desktop, try this workaround
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound 2. In the Playback tab, right click on Speakers (or whatever has a green tick next to it), then click Properties 3. In the advanced tab on this new window, select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) in the drop down menu."

Comment

360 version is a real mess at the moment. Installed the game to USB in the end so i could play it with decent textures (looked awful running off the disc and HDD) No wonder the videos on Gametrailers looked bad. They must have played most of the game in Tomb Raider, Jedi Knight mode. Working fine now i have done this, and looks pretty damn good tbh. Just hope they bring out a patch soon to fix it.

Comment

Haven't had any problems with my dodgy PC version so far. Liking it!

Comment

Played this 8 hours straight lol, it is amazing! Had it crash to desktop about 3 times in total, but not a biggie as you can save it anywhere anyway. ..off to bed :P

Comment

Ok played this for a few hours today and my impressions are:

Positives:

The combat is awesome, I love weilding spells in one hand blades in another, it feels so satisfying, they have exceled themselfs in this department and anyone who says it feels the same as Oblivion is just plain wrong.

The world is incredibly detailed as you would expect.

There seems to be a heck of alot to do.

Negatives:

A few things are not explained well. I didnt even know I had any spells until I was a good hour into this.

The menus are minimalistic but not that great, on the 360 they also seem to suffer from a bug where theres a delay upon entering them and you need to use the analogue as the dpad doesnt work properlky in them.

It doesnt look that great, lots of things lack detail, it isnt a much better looking game than Oblivon.

Despite those negatives though I am still really enjoying the game, as I said the combat is great, and I love how much freedom of choice you have when building your character, the skill trees are immense.

Cant wait to play so more tomorrow.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 11-11-2011, 23:54.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
              The menus are minimalistic but not that great, on the 360 they also seem to suffer from a bug where theres a delay upon entering them and you need to use the analogue as the dpad doesnt work properlky in them.
              I noticed this but the next time I noticed it, I saw it said it was auto saving. Are you sure that's not what it's been doing for you?

Comment

The PC version has a weird way of navigating the menus.

You can either use WASD + E or the directions and enter.. lol

Comment

Loving this.

It's Oblivion but bigger, better and more epic.

No more time for words. Must sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
                    I noticed this but the next time I noticed it, I saw it said it was auto saving. Are you sure that's not what it's been doing for you?
                    No, that's not it. It's not auto saving. The game will often freeze up when you go to character menus and the only way to navigate them is to tap the left stick in any direction a couple of times and then it will let you do what you want.

This is really annoying because I seem to naturally gravitate towards using the dpad for the menus but they will only unfreeze after you have tried to use the analogue first and it often takes more than one attempt at that. It's a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Garny View Post
                      360 version is a real mess at the moment. Installed the game to USB in the end so i could play it with decent textures (looked awful running off the disc and HDD) No wonder the videos on Gametrailers looked bad. They must have played most of the game in Tomb Raider, Jedi Knight mode. Working fine now i have done this, and looks pretty damn good tbh. Just hope they bring out a patch soon to fix it.
                      According to the developer the game should look better when running straight off the disk.

I'm going to try it anyway, I have it installed and it looks a bit rubbish, plus I'm hoping uninstalling it will fix the menu problems as well.

Comment

Is it region free on Xbox? Off the US next week and it's not arrived here in the UAE yet due to the Eid holiday so thinking of picking up a US version to play on my PAL 360

Comment

Eight hours on the first day, I can't remember putting that much time into a game for years. The further I get the more appreciate some of the changes, particularly with the levelling and crafting. The latter is a great addition and adds a great deal to the experience in my opinion. Those annoyed by the lack of spellcrafting will be pleased to know it has been replaced with something better (well, in my opinion).

Other than a few duff rock textures I still think the game looks pretty good. It's a vast improvement over Oblivion. I have it installed on 360 and it runs great. I have noticed the slowdown in the menues, happens to me when reading books but it has only happened a couple of times.

My problems at the moment:
                          I love exploring the environment however with all the rocks and the lack of a jump skill it can be quite difficult to navigate, with the main issue of getting stuck between...a rock and a hard place. It's happened twice now where I suddenly get lodged between two rocks and can't escape, particularly annoying when you can't fast travel out of there. Thankfully both times I was eventually able to riggle free but it took about ten minutes of trying.

Secondly, somewhat related, is that the map is rubbish. It's very difficult to find the right path to get from A to B around the rocky areas, which leads to the issues of getting stuck. A detailed 2D map would have been much better.

Lastly, I love the journal and the menu system but the 'Misc' section is really unhelpful. I'm hardly out of the first area and it's already full of things to do, but unlike the proper quests it doesn't give much info on where I need to go. The Radiant Quest system is nicely implemented though, so much so that I didn't even realise they were random quests.

On a positive note, I had my first fight with a dragon and it was a better battle than anything from Oblivion.

Comment

I hope Bethesda fix the textures so that you can install it without the game looking like ass. I don't want minute long loading times whenever I enter and exit an interior.

Edit: Huzzah, a fix is confirmed in the works!
                            Last edited by Daragon; 12-11-2011, 10:28.

Comment

Ah man, now this is incredible. Dont understand the ''not much different to oblivion'' comments, this is far far beyond. I dev for the 360 and know its limitations, what works, what doesnt, and how they've pulled this out of the bag is a work of genius. The occasional low rez texture is nothing when compared to the sheer detail scope and scale of what is rendering on screen along with the cost of everything else. Stunning work.
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Yup have to agree, im 3 hours in & it has been stunning to look at & play. Once again i have been pulled inside a living breathing world to quest in, the sheer scale & amount of choices you can do inside is quite overwhelming but im slowly getting my bearings. The only thing i have held off on so far is the skill trees in the stars, i have a few points to spend but i have no idea which are going to be useful so i have not started any trees apart from lockpicking as thats always useful. It seems like fallout 3 where you will be only allowed to choose so many perks before level 50 so im choosing very carefully.

Once again western rpg gaming at it's finest.

Comment

Working...
                                X