The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
    well, I don't like this at all really, its all a little uninteresting and boring. The voice acting is getting on my nerves too its pretty bad for a game in 2011. Combat is a bit disconnected, and so far the quests have been pretty uninteresting too. Don't get me started on the glitches...

I must admit I've only played 3 hours though and whilst I feel its enough - I better play more, there's must be some reason its getting such decent scores...? Graphically it looks pretty average in ultra @ 1080p running at 60+fps.

Well... pretty dissapointed in one of this years biggest releases. I hope when I finally get to Batman AC it wont let me down this much.
    I much prefer this to Arkham city. That game is a muddled mess and doesn't untilise it's open world anywhere near as well as this one.

The reason this is getting good scores is because it's a very special game. Everything about it is a big step up from oblivion.

The combat in this is actually really satisfying when utilised correctly and the variety in quest locations and the ammount of things to do is quite staggering.

Comment

cool, I'll keep trying it even if it's as fun as watching paint dry. Shame to hear that about Arkham, been saving that for PC due to the graphics boost it'll get.

Comment

You might get more from Batman AC as there's not really anything wrong with it. The biggest thing from it is that many of the reviews made out it was an epic leap from Batman AA and that the environment was a brilliant open world when really it's just more of the same with a standard hub like Mario 64 had, nothing wrong with the game though.

For Skyrim, it depends on what you thought of Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas. There's really nothing new to Skyrim from those games, it's more a polished version of them. If that's your thing then the game will likely click and you'll fall in love with it but if they didn't click then this won't either.

Comment

Up til half two this morning earning gold to buy a house so that I could carry on questing and have somewhere to store loot that I don't want to sell. Then I see the guide on

decorating my house

and now it's become

Animal Crossing

. Like I don;t already have enough to do!

I like they way my character has become fairly powerful and well respected so soon in the game. I particularly enjoyed getting caught

breaking into a house

and getting away with it by saying

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?

:-)

Comment

Also advantageous to join the thieve's guild for all your lockpick needs - I have so many of them now that even expert locks aren't an issue. They also have the next best missions next to the Dark Brotherhood guild.

Made my way up to the Skyrim equivalent of Hogwarts last night, though I seem to be having trouble triggering the lecture - you have to stand on a spot and fire a protection spell, but nothing happens - think that quest line might be stuck now, not had a google on the issue yet. No matter, just gives an excuse to play through as a Mage next time around.

I got stuck part way through the Thieve Guild quest line in Oblivion, an event wouldn't trigger for one of those missions too, ended up starting again with a new character there too - bit annoying, but given the size and complexity of the game world the odd glitch isn't that surprising, they really shouldn't be on the main quest arcs though.

Overall I've got 45 hours invested in the game and other than the above, getting stuck on geometry once as I was trying some "rock climbing", some odd gravity issues like levitating mammoths and the odd invisible wall about the place, it's been a lock-up free experience.

45 hours since Thurs even means Bethesda are doing something right.

Comment

I feel like my 25 hours is pushing it, how the hell have you managed 45?!? Good going though

I've just visited my third city for the first time (the one far west) - wow what a difference in look. They've recalled nailed the art direction even if they have watched LOTRs a few too many times.

Comment

I wish i could have got a video of a dragon fight i had last night. Was just to the east of Whiterun when all hell broke lose. Not one, but two dragons loads of giants, wolves and NPCs kicking the crap out of each other, then a necromancer got involved all with me in the middle.

Fire, ice and bodies all over the place.

Comment

The over-used phrase "emergent gameplay" actually seems appropriate in this game.

Is it possible to hire a companion that's not as dumb as
                  or are they all equally stupid? Last night she was trying to fight 2 mammoths and 3 giants. All at once. On her own.
                  Last edited by Brad; 15-11-2011, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                    Is it possible to hire a companion that's not as dumb as
                    or are they all equally stupid? Last night she was trying to fight 2 mammoths and 3 giants. All at once. On her own.
                    She's The Black Knight of Skyrim

I'm really annoyed at the moment: on a whim I bought a ticket to England vs Sweden last Friday. Then on Saturday I bought Skyrim. That's an evening of Skyrim time wasted, wish I hadn't got that ticket now!!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      Also advantageous to join the thieve's guild for all your lockpick needs - I have so many of them now that even expert locks aren't an issue. They also have the next best missions next to the Dark Brotherhood guild.

Made my way up to the Skyrim equivalent of Hogwarts last night, though I seem to be having trouble triggering the lecture - you have to stand on a spot and fire a protection spell, but nothing happens - think that quest line might be stuck now, not had a google on the issue yet. No matter, just gives an excuse to play through as a Mage next time around.

I got stuck part way through the Thieve Guild quest line in Oblivion, an event wouldn't trigger for one of those missions too, ended up starting again with a new character there too - bit annoying, but given the size and complexity of the game world the odd glitch isn't that surprising, they really shouldn't be on the main quest arcs though.

Overall I've got 45 hours invested in the game and other than the above, getting stuck on geometry once as I was trying some "rock climbing", some odd gravity issues like levitating mammoths and the odd invisible wall about the place, it's been a lock-up free experience.

45 hours since Thurs even means Bethesda are doing something right.
                      Don't know if you realise or not but the protection spell needs to be used by holding down the button, not by simply pressing it.

I would recommend everyone do the Mage college bit, there's a quest where the award for its completion gives you infinite magika for 2 whole hours, that's real hours, not in game ones.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 15-11-2011, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                        I would recommend everyone do the Mage college bit, there's a quest where the award for its completion gives you infinite magika for 2 whole hours, that's real hours, not in game ones.
                        Holy crap. Can you choose when to activate this!?

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                          Holy crap. Can you choose when to activate this!?
                          One would assume that either it's not MEANT to give you infinite magika or it has a reuse timer of 48 real hours or something daft like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Garny View Post
                            I wish i could have got a video of a dragon fight i had last night. Was just to the east of Whiterun when all hell broke lose. Not one, but two dragons loads of giants, wolves and NPCs kicking the crap out of each other, then a necromancer got involved all with me in the middle.

Fire, ice and bodies all over the place.
                            I had a similar one but with only one dragon, two mammoths, two giants, two mudcrabs, my horse and me! My horse deserved a bloody award for Bestest Creature In Skyrim. What a trooper! Ended up reanimating a mudcrab to fight on my side but it didn't last long. Team Horsey took down the dragon but the giants and mammoths were too much, so I ran to the hill laughing all the way to my new Shout power.

Yesterday's adventure was to clear down some of my Misc quest log, as many of them were pointing me to one location. Goal - get from Whiterun (middle of the map) to the city on the west. Took about six hours to get there thanks to stubbling across a very cool dungeon (called

Red Eagle

) which was so rich with back story that I was genuinely worried about what I might find. The levelling works so much better in this than Oblivion -There is a real danger that you will come face to face with something much harder than you, which makes for much better adventuring.
                            Anyway, boss defeated and another quest opens up. This time I decide to save it for another day and carry on West to my destination. In I go, and another major plotline opens almost immediately, minutes later I've suddenly got far more Misc quests than when I started the day.

This game...

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                              One would assume that either it's not MEANT to give you infinite magika or it has a reuse timer of 48 real hours or something daft like that.
                              Seems it's just an overpowered 'fortify magicka' for use during a particular mage college task i.e. not a bug and not something you can re-use. That's the general consensus at the moment anyway.

Comment

The dragon fights are pretty awesome when they kick in in interesting places. I was close to the little village you first go to right near the beginning of the game (not the starting one, the next one) when I noticed a dragon circling over it. Then it swooped down and landed on the roof of one of the buildings and starting breathing on the townsfolk.

I sprinted down into town to take it on, and the fight went all over town, into the surrounding hills, then back into town again. The town guards were helping, and I finally brought it down on the edge of town.

Then all the villagers came out and started commenting on how awesome I was, and how they'd never seen the like etc...

Made me feel very badass for a while after

Comment

Working...
                                X