Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    They will probably use the game pad for it.
    I will buy it again if they do!!

Comment

Delete!

Comment

Just finished first play through of this last night too - I had my issues with the controls sometimes, but overall it's bloody amazing, the last few hours in particular were just great.

Comment

Didn't even realise it had been so long since this came out. Feel like I could write for ages on it but in short it's safe to say my eventual playthrough is mixed. The visuals, for me, just don't work. It's not so much the art style more it's implementation with distant areas and certain objects looking hazy or muddy rather than painted. The same art style properly done on WiiU would probably look stunning though. From where I am the flying works fine but feels like a redundant feature, hopefully later in the game there's sections that make proper use of it. Controls wise, they work fine. The motion controls can freshen up some battles with a tacticle edge when fighting and movement don't contract each other though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad the series will have to revert back to standard for WiiU. If anything though my issues aren't with the combat but more with navigation or the way areas are designed which can feel sloppy. It's not bad by any means but can lead to sections quickly feeling like a chore which TP often suffered from.

Comment

Behind the curve as always, I'm now playing this. Looks lovely - the design is beautiful and colourful and I love that. Some really lovely environments. The opening is a bit talky for my liking with a lot of small aims around the village but generally I prefer my Zeldas to get straight to it so I was wanting to push ahead as soon as possible.

Once the game goes to the first proper area, I really engaged with the game and began to totally love it. The contrast from the dingy Twilight Princess is really noticeable and I love that there are new items in this one, not just all the old favourites. The Beetle is excellent and I love using it to scout areas out. And the areas around the dungeons are nicely meaty in this one. Not always as open as I'd like (they often play like dungeon areas too) but there is lots to them and nice puzzle elements. Lots of figuring out how to progress and then the satisfaction of getting it right.

Fi won't shut up. I hate Fi. I'm also not getting on with the motion controls. Mostly they are okay but simply aren't as consistent as assigning a command to a button. Motion controls will always require games to interpret your intentions and that means a margin for error. That just doesn't happen with a button control. So I find some of the combat quite tricky because it seems the game is designed for far more accuracy than I have been able to achieve. The first boss battle was a nightmare for me because it was all just a sword fight. I also have an issue with the motion plus where Link sometimes runs off on his own and I have to reset the nunchuck to stop it. Googling it, it seems I'm not alone - was a common issue with the motion plus add-on but apparently doesn't happen if it is built into the controller. He has run off a few ledges at the worst possible time.

But the controls add some new features that I love - rolling bombs is a great touch and is used really well as a puzzle element in places.

I'm at the desert area now and switching between the desert and the non-deserty look is fantastic. It's a fun area too. So overall, I'm loving this and think it's a really strong entry into the 3D Zeldas. So far I think I like it more than Wind Waker and TP.

Comment

You probably know my thoughts. Finished it twice and can kill the last boss without taking damage, there are no problems with the controls.

Comment

You have no problem with the controls. Which is fine.

Comment

You have an add on which is known to cause errors.

The controls are fine. The key is composure. If you lose it and start swinging, it will fail. If you stay composed and in control, it works superbly.

Comment

I agree, it's most likely that quite a few people panic in the heat of battle and start swinging the remote wildly and in desperation. It's equivalent to button mashing. It happened to me too in the beginning, but it gets you nowhere but dead (much like in a real sword fight, I'd imagine). If you put your mind to it, focus and think what you do, the controls work perfectly.
                    Last edited by Guts; 29-12-2014, 09:54.

Comment

The controls did not add any enjoyable elements to the gameplay for me, in fact they detracted from it.

Fair play for trying something different though, just give gamers the option to play with a pad next time.

Comment

I don't see the point in having a vision and then totally ignoring that vision.

For me, it felt like you were actually duelling with enemies. It was fresh and exciting.

Comment

Only had a brief go of HD, so far it seems pretty straight forward but the opening objectives etc are infinitely more dull than I remember

Comment

I’ve been playing it. I never finished the original mainly because I was kind of burnt out from the Zelda formula at that point. The HD version looks lovely but even on Switch I feel this suffers from the problem that the game’s control is nowhere near as good as Nintendo seems to think it is. I’m on to the Eldin place now and I’m enjoying it enough and I’m looking forward to working my way through it.

Comment

This is the only zelda game i never finished the stupid motion controls and disjointed feeling to the world didn't help matters, Despite still owning a Wii version of this I'm tempted to pick this up again for the improvements that they have added. Have they improved the poor draw distance and dose this play better without the motion controls now.

Comment

Well the game still has the motion controls but you can choose to play without them and they don't work on handheld mode. So the controls can be more traditional but it's a bit of a tradeoff. There is very easy camera control using the motion controls. There isn't without them. As for the draw distances, they look fine to me but I honestly have very little memory of what they used to be like.

Comment

Working...
                                X