Infinity Blade II (iOS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity Blade II (iOS)

Well I think it was me that started the first play thread for the original Inifity Blade so I might as well do one for this too.

I think it's important to say straight away that although I enjoyed the original game quite a bit it was still, at the end of the day, a repetitive and somewhat glorified tech demo for the unreal engine running on iOS. It seems the developers knew this too because the sequel has a lot more too it while still retaining the feel of the original game.

It's basically just a bigger and better game in every way and feels a whole lot more impressive from a gameplay standpoint as a result. There are now multiple pathways that open up through areas as you revisit them and find ways to unlock new places, and there's a lot more to the combat now, with three different weapon classes and the ability to customise them using a variety of stat boosting items. They have basically added a lot more in regards to making the RPG side of things more open ended, I imagine everyone played the first game in the same way, not everyone will this time because of the variety on offer.

Theres also more of a story, and it has full voice acting which again just makes it feel less like the repetitive gimmick that was the first game and more like a full blown experience. It also seems to be much longer than the first game, and after my lengthy play on it earlier I still haven't reached the end if the first cycle and there are many areas I couldn't see at all during my first trip past them because I didn't have the means to get to them yet.

Over all it's very impressive and this time that's not just because of the way it looks (though it has to be said that it looks incredible) it actually feels great to play (dual wielding weapons combos are awesome for instance) and seems to be a lot deeper than I initially expected.
    Last edited by rmoxon; 01-12-2011, 15:33.

Loved the original, love this just as much. As you say it's expanded in every way so it's not as repetitive even though whats around the periphery is still basic.

Only thing I am missing is the survival mode from the original. It was an update in that but it's missing entirely in this. Guess that will come at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      Loved the original, love this just as much. As you say it's expanded in every way so it's not as repetitive even though whats around the periphery is still basic.

Only thing I am missing is the survival mode from the original. It was an update in that but it's missing entirely in this. Guess that will come at a later date.
      Yeah if you go to the menu there is information on what's coming up in a later update, it says new areas and multiplayer features, and there will no doubt be a survival mode too.

The developers actually went on record recently saying that the development time on this was shorter than they would have liked and they didn't get to include everything they wanted upon release, so we can deffinley expect more.

Comment

Just got a 4S yesterday so the timing on this was perfect to test out my new toy. Wasn't that impressed. Note, I didn't play the first game. After the lengthy tutorial, I kind of got into it. Its kindof a search for the bags of gold during the cutscenes and then lengthly mash the screen (with a bit more control) battles. Just finished Rebirth 1. The gameplay itself is kinda grindy, and I guess with the rebirths, the whole thing is too. Get more XP, get more items, unlock new areas, rinse, repeat? Gonna go back to it though. I'm actually tempted to right now.

Comment

Okay, I went back for more. Now onto the 5th rebirth. Got beaten by a level 100 boss and a level 50 boss (just, I was kinda mashing) so went back and beat down that level 50 boss easily. I'm only a level 14, so I don't understand the levels in this game. Oh well, still, guess I'll go back another day for the level 100 and to see if any more areas are opened up. Its fun collecting gems and equipment. But the heavy weapons seem far too overpowered to me. I put all my XP on health, have a health magic in case I need it, and just smash them with a huge weapon. Plus, I get health back every time I do one of those non-proper hits, which is nice.

Comment

Would you recommend playing the original beforehand, or can you just dive in?

I was planning on buying the first one but if this is the definitive version (and it's not worth having both) I'll go straight for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Would you recommend playing the original beforehand, or can you just dive in?

I was planning on buying the first one but if this is the definitive version (and it's not worth having both) I'll go straight for this.
              I would just jump straight into this, although this follows on from it the original barely had a story. This is such a big improvement in every way, the original game is basically obsolete now.

Comment

Cheers for that. I'll be downloading it over the weekend. Looks fantastic.

Comment

Well, I didn't expect gaming of this standard when I got my ipad2. So good it's tough to put down ... the 'one more battle' factor is massive. Stunning game, really appeals to the Super Punch Out fan in me

Comment

Working...
                  X