Project Gotham Racing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One question.Is it as hard as the PGR?

I liked the game a lot......I just sucked at it. But luckily I can say it is one of the few games I suck at.

Comment

Haven't played the demo, but I do have the finished full article. Didn't really like PGR, but PGR2 is pretty good, I've not seen any jerkiness on any of the courses, maybe this has to do with my Xbox running NTSC games?
      I've unlocked more than half of the courses, and it gets better. Some really good courses, as mentioned opponent AI (or lack of) takes the piss...

Comment

Yup. I'm playing the full game too. And a lot of fun it is...

I've not noticed any jerkiness yet. Nor have I noticed the drop in fps. In fact it all looks very slick.

I have only two real niggles with it:

Firstly the AI. The main problem being the usual driving game "I'm going to force my way through the racing line obstacle or not because, in fact, I have no AI".

Secondly the difficulty. It can feel a bit spikey. Full of dips and troughs. Attempting a street race at the same level as, say, an overtaking race the street races I usually find far far less of a challenge.

But otherwise loving it.

Comment

Quick question. Is anyone else using Manual gears?

I'm using them at the moment but can't tell if it's any quick or not doing so.

Comment

Well I completely disagree about the A.I. It's not perfect for sure, but it certainly IS reactionary. And more so than any other console racer i've ever played.

i have been barged through and spun out, but only if i've crossed another cars line without giving them adequate braking time. I've had the A.I. try to cut inside me and when i've closed him down he's hit the brakes and fallen back. I've also had the A.I. leave it's optimal line to try to shut me down, lose rear traction and spin out.

Personally i'm pretty impressed with the way the A.I. races

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby

As for the AI, my god what a bunch of retards. All they do is drive into you. If you're in front they drive into you from behind, if you're going through a corner they drive into your side. And the most minute of touches sends you careering into the scenery. I tried knocking the AI from behind and they stay totally in control as if they're glued to the road. It's pathetic.
              Just to say, that I am 20 hours into the full retail version of the game and it's not like this at all. It may have been in the demo, and it certainly was in the original PGR, but it's nowhere near that bad in the full version. There's still A.I. annoyances for sure, as there are on all racing games, but it is reactionary, they can be spun out, and you can hold against a barge.

Comment

also, the 30fps IS locked in the full version 1 player.

I've witnessed dropped frames twice on multiplayer. Both times when 8 cars piled up in a corner together. Any other racer including moto GP, Fzero and GT3 would have slowed down in the same situation.

I've seen more slowdown in Fzero Gx than i have in PGR2. that said, the 30fps is only just about acceptable.

Comment

Its the full retail version I'm playing. And I really do think the AI is bad. Its no worse than any other driving game - but then thats not really saying much.

On tight corners with a fast approach in particular (in other words those that necessitate a heavy brake on the way in) I've been on the racing line going at speed and have had more opposition cars clip me from behind than I can count. And its not as if its a minor nudge... often I find myself getting spun off the track.

And before someone says the obvious "your breaking too early". No. No I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                    And its not as if its a minor nudge... often I find myself getting spun off the track.
                    I'd say the evil AI's cunning plan worked then, eh? Aggressive AI != **** AI imo

Comment

Originally posted by evilmatt
                      I'd say the evil AI's cunning plan worked then, eh? Aggressive AI != **** AI imo
                      I'd say AI using that tactic in a game like Burnout is fine - because the game is geared towards the arcade.

And there's aggressive and stupid. PGR2 feels more like the latter.

And in a game like PGR where its much much more of a simulation, AI that takes advantage of what (in my opinion at least) is a flaw (as in zero or negligible damage) simply compounds that deficiency and further ruins the atmosphere.

Additionally (and I've not really tried this in PGR2) its even more frustrating when you try the same tactic on an opposition car and come off far worse than they would.

Comment

*Shrug* I never found the AI in PGR1 that annoying to be honest, and if its improved in 2 as people seem to be saying then I'll be happy enough

Slightly off-topic - are there any driving sims (other than F1) featuring real cars that have actual detrimental effects for taking damage? (Or perhaps more to the point any good ones?)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerraig UK

I've witnessed dropped frames twice on multiplayer. Both times when 8 cars piled up in a corner together. Any other racer including moto GP, Fzero and GT3 would have slowed down in the same situation.

I've seen more slowdown in Fzero Gx than i have in PGR2. that said, the 30fps is only just about acceptable.
                          I would like to see this frame rate drop in Fzero, as i never have....
                          Runs silky smooth 60fps solid, and i have played it a damn lot...

As for the dropping in frames on PGR2 it does happen, and considering they locked it at 30 fps i think its shocking.. ft:

Comment

I'd say AI using that tactic in a game like Burnout is fine - because the game is geared towards the arcade.

And there's aggressive and stupid. PGR2 feels more like the latter.

And in a game like PGR where its much much more of a simulation,
                            sorry but PGR and PGR2 are nothing like simulations - you head into them both thinking that and you will be disappointed

they are arcade racers of the highest order - and once that 'clicks' into place they become much more enjoyable

camps

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
                              Originally posted by Kerraig UK

I would like to see this frame rate drop in Fzero, as i never have....
                              Runs silky smooth 60fps solid, and i have played it a damn lot...

As for the dropping in frames on PGR2 it does happen, and considering they locked it at 30 fps i think its shocking.. ft:
                              PGR2 has never dropped frames for me in 1 player, and I am up to chapter 8.

Fzero GX drops frames in 4 player and also in 1 player on the fire level where you are outside the pipe. I have the Jap version so it may have been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                                Its the full retail version I'm playing. And I really do think the AI is bad. Its no worse than any other driving game - but then thats not really saying much.

On tight corners with a fast approach in particular (in other words those that necessitate a heavy brake on the way in) I've been on the racing line going at speed and have had more opposition cars clip me from behind than I can count. And its not as if its a minor nudge... often I find myself getting spun off the track.

And before someone says the obvious "your breaking too early". No. No I'm not.
                                I certainly wouldn't say you are braking too early, i'd say you are definatel braking too late. If you are on the outside ark, not slowing down for a bend, and then you slam the brakes and rip accross the racing line then of course you are gonna be hit. if you are just sitting on the racing line, braking into the bend then accelerating out then you must be playing a very different game to me cos I NEVER get nudged in this situation. I've just completed the classics chapter (ch 7) and have all golds so far. I've played for 23 hours and i've been spun out by the AI twice. Both times when I was attempting a cheekily fast overtake in a bend. I've been nudged and bumped a lot, but they've been easily controllable and added greatly to the excitement of the race.

Also, pretty much everytime I hit an AI car on a rear off axis they will spin out. I've used this tactic to get quite a few last minute wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X