Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita

I've only managed to put a few hours into this over the last day or so(thanks to Monster Hunter Tri G) but I've been impressed by what I've played so far. Firstly the graphics are very impressive, easily the best looking handheld game I've played/seen so far. As long as you don't go in expecting Uncharted 2/3 level graphics I don't see how you could not be impressed with the visuals on offer.

Gameplaywise the main bulk of the game plays much the same as previous entries in the series, inevitably though there's a bunch of Vita specific touch screen controls added to certain parts of the game. You can use the touch screen during platforming sections and climbing up and down ropes etc but if you're like me and prefer more traditional controls then those are available too. There are some touch based mini games that crop up from time to time as well, for instance early on in the game you have to make some charcoal rubbings by rubbing the screen. Motion controls are featured in the game as well and can be used for aiming and zooming in and out with the sniper rifle. The motion controls for balancing on logs from the original Uncharted have returned also.

My only gripe with the game from what I've played so far is the aiming controls feel a little off. The shooting in Uncharted has always been the weakest part of the series and here it actually seems worse than before. Trying to aim directly at the enemies is more difficult than it should be thanks to problems with aiming sensitivity. You can change sensitivity settings in the options but I've yet to find a setting that suits me so far.

Of all the launch titles this is the only one that I really wanted and I'm glad it has lived up to my expectations thus far.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Does it have support for uk language, text and voice?

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa
      As long as you don't go in expecting Uncharted 2/3 level graphics I don't see how you could not be impressed with the visuals on offer.
      That's kind of what I was expecting, considering the Vita's specs. Where are the compromises?

Comment

I can confirm that the Japanese version plays in full English on a Hong Kong unit. I'd gather it'll be the same on a Japanese unit too.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Cheers joe

Comment

There's a video on the PSN store (HK store I think) of some gameplay sections of Golden Abyss which show bright as day (though will look better of the PSV's screen) the gulf between the visuals in this and UC2 and 3. Sony really shouldn't compare Vita's power to PS3's. That said, it still looks better than pretty much anything else on a portable format

Comment

Is it not foolish to judge based on a launch title?
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Not really. Launch titles set the tone. Sure, with any system, things will get better and better but the launch titles give you a very good impression of what a system will deliver. I don't think I'll quite forget how RR on my import PSP totally blew my mind.

Comment

I don't agree. Genji didn't set the tone for PS3 at all.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

True, probably a better comparison would be against UC1... which Golden Abyss still doesn't look as good as. It is close enough though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa
                      My only gripe with the game from what I've played so far is the aiming controls feel a little off.
                      oh dear, it wasnt the same team that did UC3? the aiming for me was broken in that

good impressions though

Comment

This was developed by Bend rather than Naughty Dog. Having now played a third of the game I can say that they've done a really good job with it overall.

I took some pics using the Vita's screen grab capabilities, which is a great feature. Sadly the pics make the game's graphics look a bit worse than they actually are.

Comment

Did Bend make the PSP God of War games? Cos they were fantastic.

Comment

That was Ready at Dawn. Bend are the guys behind the Syphon Filter games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa View Post
                              Sadly the pics make the game's graphics look a bit worse than they actually are.
                              Worse?! Wow, I think they look pretty incredible. A huge leap up from the PSP.

Comment

Working...
                              X