The Darkness 2 Demo XBL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Darkness 2 Demo XBL

As a massive fan of the 1st game, it was a pleasent surprise to see that there is a demo up for the new game which is due out on the 10th of Feb.

Digital Extremes have taken over developement duties from Starbreeze for the sequel and my oh my have they done a good job on this demo.

Graphically it looks like the Bastard Child of GTA4 and Borderlands, but it runs at very stable 30fps with no tearing that I noticed, all whilist looking very nice.

Controls very similar to before, triggers do ya guns, bumpers do your tentacles. mmm sweet tentacles.
    Noticable improvement here is that DE have found another use for right stick other than just looking, you can swipe the stick in any direction as your press melee to control the direction of your tentacle attacking, so you can deliberately sweep people or objects into one and other.

The initial section has you running around shooting scared prisoners , you can pick up objects and hurl them quite a way to impale enemies at a distance, a little like the stake gun in Painkiller

Particuarly awesome was pulling off a car door, your Demon Arms holding it infront of you as an impromptu riot shield as you run towards your terrified enemies, dual wielding pistols and shooting them through the window!

Immediately noticeable was just how much more First Person Shootery is this one compared to the original, very easy to control and enemies don't seem totally stupid this time round.
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 17-01-2012, 15:12.

Nice impressions. I rather enjoyed the original too and look forward to playing the demo later.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this - ripping people in half like snapping a wishbone was more fun than it should have been

Like the new cartoon, cell shaded look too - suits the game down to a tee.

This wasn't on my radar until the demo and I'm very tempted to pick it up now.

Comment

Downloading now did enjoy the first outing

Comment

i found this pretty good fun definetly more action based then the previous game

Comment

didnt play 1 so cant compare but was really impressed by this. happily spent half an hour impaling bad guys through the face with parking meters

visuals remind me of XIII on the original Xbox.

definitely gonna pick this up I think

Comment

You didn't play 1? oh man you gotta fix that, first game is a good un. Had like a small open world tied up with the story was very good for the time, most people who hadn't played it and did were impressed by it.
              Man I just wiki'd it and the original will be 5 years old in June
              Shame they couldn't get Kirk Acevedo back to do Jackie again, least Patton is back sounding all evil.
              Just about to try the demo...

Comment

Just finished this, must concur with you all, this is a job done very well. Graphics wise, I was thinking maybe XIII mixed with Deus Ex Human Revolution, these have a nice sheen that make them seem very solid, the 'new look' is really cool and doesn't detract from the original feel, in fact it enhances the experience.

As it's only about six months since I completed the original, this is very much a continuation of the first game and thankfully doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong at all, in fact it feels tighter and the upgrade system should be interesting. Yeah, good stuff, though the only truly WOW! bit of the demo was the stroll through the Italian restaurant near the beginning, it ends a bit too soon for a 1.4gb install.

Comment

Also just finished it and man they really do let you rip with those powers, like what they have done with it visually looks a treat adding a skill tree for super power upgrades is a neat touch, pre-order got.
                  Well when I say got I mean when The Darkness 2 was announced
                  Can't wait to get stuck in to the full game.

Comment

One of the bes demo's I've ever played . Loved the 1st game and love this demo and the new Art style can't wait .

Comment

It is very well put together and shows actually what a demo should look like.

They show off some really nice graphics, decent cutscenes a bit of story and even what the game plays like later on.

I hate demos that are literally the tutorial, so this is such a pleasant surprise. My preorder went down on it today

Comment

It is a very well put together demo . I just hope Keith Vaz doesn't every get to see this game, he'll go nuts

Comment

Despite the positive views I was still expecting to be let down by this when I started up the demo but it seems like the devs have taken the things they learnt making Bioshock 2 and made a really polished game. Well impressed, hopefully there's more animations in the full game though for the Darkness, in the demo alone they started getting old

Comment

Very nice demo! Pretty much sold me as a day one purchase.

Comment

Working...
                            X