Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (3DS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (3DS)

Just posting some preliminary thoughts up, been playing this a fair bit this evening, though not enough to make a real conclusion.

Anyway, this is really good. You begin by setting up the camera, and here is where the main flaw of the game becomes apparent, and it's actually a limitation of the hardware rather than the game - the light has to be on in your room for the camera to actually operate. Dunno about you, but I play survival horror games in the dark. That said, it's not as big a problem as it sounds - you are not sat there constantly using the camera, after all. Just be relatively close to the light switch in order to turn the page every 15 minutes or so.

The horror element is where the game really shines. It employs all the horror techniques that you will be used to in the best Asian horror films (and indeed, previous Project Zero games), but the fact that you are in control of the sight means that you do not see it coming. Movement appears to be largely on-rails, the game making use of the gyroscopic features of the 3DS to allow you to look around as you're moving - this is actually really nice, it's like being in a movie but having 360 degree control over what you're looking at.

I won't put any real spoilers up, but there's this one scene where a glass shatters on the floor behind you. You instinctively turn around (as in, in real life, turning your body around, and 3DS with you) to see what happened behind you. Nothing appears to be there, but you hear a from somewhere else. Do the maths.
    There's a scene where you can hear a voice coming from somewhere - I was frantically looking around trying to see where it was coming from, before feeling like a tit because I was actually looking around my real-life, pitch black room. Fantastic stuff.
    The freakiest stuff is when the spirits start appearing in your own room, the 3DS camera filming your room and manipulating everything. It's cracking stuff.

Don't expect the gameplay to move the genre forward, much of this is on rails in fact (abeit, with 360 degree control over everything you're seeing), but if you're disappointed with where the survival horror genre is heading, and don't exactly think grabbing a shotgun to blow up a non-physical enemy is an appealing idea, turn off the lights and give this a go.
    Last edited by sj33; 25-01-2012, 00:05.

Yup, your thoughts more or less exactly mirror mine. I'll leave the in-depth details for my review for the site, but there is some impressive stuff on display here.

Comment

To be honest, you almost feel like this would be so much better if this was played through some kind of visor rather than awkwardly trying to hold the 3DS in the right place and fiddling with the light switch. It's impressive when you start seeing spirits in your room, but it being limited to the 3DS screen does break the illusion a tad. Still, it's cracking stuff all the same.
      Last edited by sj33; 24-01-2012, 23:50.

Comment

About bloody time Shakey it's been ages since you got this (well hours but it seems like ages lol), i have been camping out in the first play thread in hope LOL, i need my info fix till mine turns up.

Sounds as fun as i imagined, nice mpressions keep them coming

Comment

With regards to the light thing, I'm actually considering buying a torch, sitting in a dark room and using the torch to read the notebook for proper survivial horror feel. We'll see if that gives enough light for the 3DS camera

Comment

Hehe what a great idea, creepyness factor increased. Im sure with a torch it would be enough light if it's a brightish one. Kind of wished they had gone full out & made that dairy as real as possible instead of just a booklet. Gone all ninokuni & made it hardback, hell they could have just done a limited edition for people who love to spend extra on realistic tat hehe.

It's the one cool feature that i really like is the AR stuff, it's the one thing that makes the 3DS not like anything before it. Yes AR is old hat but not for nintendo stuff it isn't.

Comment

They've been slightly sneaky - there's no instruction booklet with this, the notebook basically takes the place of the instruction booklet (though in fairness, the notebook is printed on nice rough, coarse paper rather than the shiny stuff that instruction booklets are normally printed on, making it feel quite special). But I agree, there's a missed opportunity here for a Special Edition, I'd certainly pay extra for a larger, hardback, realistic version of the book, the standard one would do for regular players.

I've really not been following the whole AR wave, aside from the cards that came with the 3DS, but the execution here is quite excellent. When you find yourself instinctively looking around your own bedroom trying to snap the spirit, and it feels like the most natural thing in the world, you know it's well executed.

Comment

More games are starting to use the AR function the upcoming Miku Hatsune game comes with a AR card for live desktop performance fun. I hope more games use this function as i love weird stuff like this, good to see it so early on in the 3DS lifecycle as i thought it might be one of those things that Nintendo do then abandon.

Seeing ghosts in your own room does sound freaky, people with active imaginations are going to **** bricks that short promo horror film i posted in the headlines hread with the 3 girls playing it really creeped me out. Japanese horror has that effect on me, all i have to hear is that high pitched whine & im stright back in Ju-on (shudder)

Hmm seeing as you can get a pdf file of the book from nintendo im seriously thinking about getting it turned into a hardback hehe
                Create, print, and sell professional-quality photo books, magazines and more with Blurb. Get started today with our free bookmaking and design tools.

Tadaa perfect hehe
                Last edited by importaku; 25-01-2012, 00:30.

Comment

That would be an awesome idea if they could somehow make the cover out of some kind of rough materal too. Shiny won't do!

Another minor thing with the game, again not a flaw with the game itself... but given the 360 degree nature of the game, the fact that spirits can appear from any direction around you etc., you can't help but wish there was a way to get surround sound for accurate sound direction placement. A technical impossibility of course, and there's no way this type of game could be done with anything but a 3DS (or the Vita, but loosing the 3D would be a big thing), but you can only dream. This is done so well, yet the inherent limitations of the handheld medium become clear.

Comment

Been looking on that page they do a square 17x17cm book thats only just larger than the booklet so it would work, im guessing the pages would be shiney but im not 100% as there may be an option for paper type in the order section. Im certainly going to look into it hehe.

Comment

LOL well after spending several hours stripping out the images from the replacement diary pdf on Nintendo's site i have uploaded them to blurb & created a hardback book, i could have chosen for it to be a dustjacket type but i decided to go for image wrap where it's printed direct to the cover & then binded around the book. It's matt finish on the cover & pages as i upgraded, also got matt black endsheets too. Had to alter the cover slightly & remove the white wearmarks near the spine of the booklet. Also theres a 20 page limit so i had to be creative. Only worry is when they trim the pages as theres a border when you create the book so the page numbers might get chopped of but i shall see. Was tempted by 30x30cm size but i had no idea if the size would screw up the ar detection, the images i have are very high DPI so they can be blown up pretty big.

It's now off to the printers, will be interesting just to see how it turns out, cost me ?25 all in but it's worth a chance as if they pull it off i shall have a one of a kind hardback cursed diary, yes it's pure overkill but im weird like that

Sorry for the offtopicness in this firstplay thread, i shall post pics when it arrives. Theres a book preview here
                      Browse self published books. Buy, sell and share photography books, wedding albums, portfolios and more. Find self published books as unique as you.
                      Last edited by importaku; 25-01-2012, 13:31.

Comment

Bordersdown Spririt Camera Review

Comment

Well my experiment finally turned up, most parts it looks ok but theres a few things i'll do for next time if i decide to have another go, due to page trimming i need to properly resize the images as the numbers on the pages are nearly cut off & the logo on the front & back is too low down but apart from that it's pretty cool. The game still recognises the pages fine as long as you have loads of light as i discovered energy saving bulbs are not bright enough to play it.

Comment

Working...
                          X