Resident Evil: Racoon City [PS3/Xbox 360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
    Surely the 'gameplay' is completely different in single player to multiplayer, what do you mean by 'gameplay'?

The only controls criticism I saw was for a restricted movement section in the campaign. You wouldn't bemoan the CoD multiplayer based on the controls in one of it's fixed point vehicle sections would you? In the hypothetical case where there had been criticism of controls such criticism would be entirely dependent on context. For example take Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. There the controls during the deathmatch modes made it feel like a generic shooter with a layer of old west painted over the top, it didn't feel realistic or fluid with regards the setting. But jump into the Legends of the West mode where the only difference was the objective of the levels and then all of a sudden it felt like you were in a movie, like you were role playing as a cowboy because the kinds of tactics and movements you performed were completely different and so there you can get two completely different judgements of the same control setup based on the way the controls respond within the context.
    None of that is the case here though. ORC differs from your examples becuase the Single Player here is the exact same game as the multiplayer as far as Im aware, the only difference is the A.I. controled team mates are rubbish, and of course they are only there to replicate human players and dont exist in MP.

I do agree that this is a Multiplayer title and should be Judged as such, but at the same time it still has to play well, if it doesnt then its a rubbish game no matter wether you are using the A.I. or playing with someone whos amazingly good at the game.

For example Left 4 Dead is a million times more fun when you play with other people rather than the A.I., but even when playing in single player it still plays well, the core gameplay is still intact and enjoyable to part take in simply becuase of its great mechanics and level design.

Having said all that, I still wouldnt even contemplate giving my opinion on this unless I had played it online, becuase thats the way it was designed to be played.
    Last edited by rmoxon; 27-03-2012, 20:01.

Comment

/2nd hand up and now im enjoying it!

Over halfway through it and it all of a sudden becomes addictive! Its not fantastic by any means but I dont feel like im wasting my time any more!

Comment

Agreed, I tried it over the weekend. It isn't a great game but certainly not worth the 3/10 pile on everyone seemed to give it.

Comment

Is it easy to find games in this online then?

Feel like giving it a go but don't want to get it only to find out that no one is actually playing it. I ended up switching to the PC version of L4D 2 becuase it was the only way I could get games, can't do that here though so what's the 360 version like in this regard?

Comment

For the versus the 360 playerbase is very healthy, evenings and weekends I've never had to wait longer than 30s to enter a game/lobby.

Comment

VS is much more healthy than people playing through the story.

Its a mixed bag really, 1st couple of lvls are pretty poor, from level 3 onwards it much improves. The difficulty though if playing solo rockets on the last level pretty steep.

Comment

For a better experience turn the gamma up so you can actually see the levels.

I was having real trouble finding my way round a multiplayer map because of the lighting and some guy was just screaming at me in the voice chat.

Comment

I'd traded in my Kinect and games and in a moment of weakness picked this up. It's a bit crap isn't it? When it first came on I figured it was generic as hell but kind of pretty. The single player isn't really worth discussing as there's zero game design going on there, just a catalogue of errors. Multiplayer wise it's also a bit of a mess, there's some resemblance of a decent enough game in there but it's kept at bay by a truly horrid cover system and rigid controls.

Comment

there's a huge patch due for this sometime soon fixing AI, cover system and a huge ammount of other things.

Comment

just finished this heap of crap so here's my top 10 (in no order) reasons to why this game is sh!t.

1. The first "Boss" battle is so stupid because you can't go past him. It's as if there's a magical invisible wall stopping you. Dumb F*cking idea that is.

2. Computer AI is complete bollocks. They get in the way, follow you about like a lost dog and kill themselves by walking in to fire and so on.

3. Pretty **** controls all round and very unresponsive actions for using meds.

4. Poor level design.

5. Awful story.

6. Hard to distinguish between enemy and foe at times.

7. Weapon select is in the wrong place. It should be on the D-Pad. The amount of times I wasted a grenade or meds while trying to select a weapon.

8. Easy to become trapped making it impossible to escape from bloody zombies beating down on you.

9. Awful collision detection when shooting zombies and what seems to be random zombie energy level. You can empty rounds in to one yet it won't go down while at another time the same zombie will fall with just a few hits.

10. Pathetic piss poor ending.

Yep, this game is a sack of crap. Thank God I only paid 1500 yen for it new. I'd be well pissed if I paid the full 6800 yen for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        3. Pretty **** controls all round
                        What did you find bad about them? Just seemed like pretty standard 3rd person controls to me, albeit with a nice dodge mechanic.

6. Hard to distinguish between enemy and foe at times.
                        Assume you mean friend and foe. Everyone on your team has dark clothing and glowing eyes, everyone in SWAT has bright beige trousers as far as I remember.

7. Weapon select is in the wrong place. It should be on the D-Pad. The amount of times I wasted a grenade or meds while trying to select a weapon.
                        This is entirely personal and completely disagree with this. As you have 2 weapons it makes far more sense to have a button to toggle them. The D-pad is way slower to hit than Left Bumper and would result in unecessary deaths. Plus I don't see how the pistol 360 degree shooting mode would be possible with the d-pad.

8. Easy to become trapped making it impossible to escape from bloody zombies beating down on you.
                        Maintaining situational awareness and not letting yourself get surrounded by zombies is part of the charm for me, one of the things that sets it apart - that you can't just focus on gunning down the people in front of you without keeping an eye on your back. Proper zombie movie style.

9. Awful collision detection when shooting zombies and what seems to be random zombie energy level. You can empty rounds in to one yet it won't go down while at another time the same zombie will fall with just a few hits.
                        Genuinely never had this myself. Are you sure you're getting headshots and not just spraying? As headshots put them down fast. Assume we're not talking about the armoured zombies here.

Really recommend trying the Versus as that's where the game's main focus is and it's a fantastic, really original experience.

Comment

I stand by all my comments I will agree that the online mode is more fun but that's not why I bought the game. I bought it for a good 1 player romp. Just as well I like playing online as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X