Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone Survivor (PC/Mac) (Indie survival horror)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone Survivor (PC/Mac) (Indie survival horror)

Really curious title. A 2D survival horror game - when I first heard that, I thought it sounded like an awful idea. This is cracking though.

The format is should be familiar to anyone used to Silent Hill. In fact, the scenario, setting, music and even sound effects are all very Silent Hill-esque. The game utilises the creepy setting, eerie ambience and clever use of filters to create a genuinely atmospheric survival horror game. Don't let the pixel art put you off.

I'm really pleased with this. With both Capcom and Konami seeming to forget how to make a 'pure' survival horror game, it is a real joy to play a game that drags the genre back to it's roots and puts the emphasis one a creepy scenario and fantastic atmosphere. My housemate and myself our both massive survival horror fans, and I was skeptical when he told me about this, but this is well recommended.

You can play a Flash-based demo here.

Last edited by charlesr; 02-05-2012, 09:54.

I played the demo a while back, loved it but I like all my games on steam... Bought this today and playing through it at the minute. Awesome stuff, much better than the silent hills/ resident evils at the minute in terms of atmosphere etc.

Go buy it! Think the developer is British too, which I found quite odd. Would have expected a game like this to come out of Japan/USA.

Comment

Any pad control options?

Comment

Not as far as I can see. Can use joytokey as usual though I suppose. Not many keys to bind.

Comment

The controls are extremely basic so there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to use Joy2Key or Xpadder.

Comment

Very nice game, bought it when It hit Steam, have now spent around hour on it so far.
            Very atmospheric, had a few open door moments with flashlight still on and OH GOD IT'S RIGHT IN MY FACE eek, liking the idea of having to eat and sleep and basically survive as you are trying to explore as far as you can. Had my first story moment

Met some neighbours partying, got a gun and as I went back in neighbours were being eaten by zombies, after that my dude later on passed out and was met in a blue curtained room, guy sitting on a chair who said If I wanted to meet him again, take the blue pill. All a bit creepy so far.

Highly recommend trying the demo if you are a survival horror/silent hill fan.

On tracking back through who developed the game, I didn't realise it was the same guy that did the NESque Silent Hill 2 game, Soundless Mountain 2 (can find it on his site http://superflatgames.com)

Comment

EDIT - Removing my question.I got low on ammo and in an impossible situation. If anyone else gets like that, the answer lies with

blue pills.

Last edited by chopemon; 30-04-2012, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                EDIT - Removing my question.I got low on ammo and in an impossible situation. If anyone else gets like that, the answer lies with

blue pills.
                Do you have any
                left? If you do, use one and go to sleep. When you wake up you'll have
                if you

swallow the blue one

. I haven't tried the others apart from

green for batteries

Comment

Yep, I didn't realise they did that. I'll do it next time I fire the game up.

Really enjoying the game now that the very hand holdy beginning is out of the way.

Comment

Finished it today, on a lazy Sunday.

I liked the premise, and how it functioned mechanically, but ultimately I didn't like it. There's too many useless items, and illogical item usage. For example, to make coffee I need water and a kettle. Fair enough. To get water you place a bucket under a drip (great idea). Once the bucket is full it's too heavy to lift, so I need a container to carry the water. I try filling the kettle from the bucket - no good. I try using a saucepan to carry some water to the kitchen - no good. The solution? Drink some bad milk to empty the milk bottle, fill that with water, then go to the kitchen. That's stupid.

Also, how do I cook the ham? Can I even cook it? Spent the entire game with ham I can't use. Also, lots of items have a combine option, but the only one that I've found is fruit salad and rice pudding. Was hoping for some cool crafting, and hardcore survival, but actually the game plays like a Sierra style adventure game with adventures bits bolted on. S'alright, but it seems to be holding itself back.

Also, you basically have infinite ammo, since the blue pills keep refilling.

I realise that taking pills and using ammo nets me a very specific ending, but that bring me on to...

The terrible endings. I got the blue one, and went and watched the others on youtube, and none of them were satisfying. Not in the same way Pathologic's special endings were satisfying. It all seemed a bit wishy washy, with an unnecessary "let's all get emotional" hand holding under a tree bit.

For the record, I never liked Silent Hill 2's story, I was always more a fan of Silent Hill 1's less subtle narrative.

Comment

I'm with Sketcz on this. The item management and feeding regime was an illogical faff. Also, the game features the worst, most disorienting translation of a 3D space to 2D since Tir Na Nog. I got frustrated endlessly

trying to remember the way back through the basement when fleeing the big monster

and rage-deleted it.
                      Last edited by Golgo; 24-11-2013, 16:01.

Comment

Bump. On sale on PSN for less than ?3. Not cross platform but available on Vita, PS4 and PS3. Went for Vita myself.

Comment

Ummmmmm....couldn't take this one seriously myself...soz to be a miseryguts but it felt like an average Metroidvania-type with a cartoon SH skin tacked on and it didn't scare, disturb or thrill me in any way, and tbh the cutesy trendy pixel art just erodes all sense of menace. It was immensely hyped as a 2D Silent Hill taker-onner/beater but it really isn't that at all.

Feel a bit guilty dissing it because it clearly makes an effort to be different but I gotta be honest, for I was really stoked to play this at the time and all I kept asking myself when playing was "when is this gonna kick in?"...it never did.

Comment

No need to apologize, JazzFunk, I thought it sucked b****.

Comment

Whew, thought it was just me!

Comment

Working...
                              X