Spec Ops: The Line (Demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spec Ops: The Line (Demo)

So what we have here is a cover based shooter starring Nolan North.

Judging from the demo this is basically Gears of War set in the real world, there's lots of witty/dumb banter between you and your squad and you run around taking cover and shooting people while being backed up by high production values, great graphics full of nifty desert based effects, and really good shooting mechanics.

Basically it's a lot of fun, not much else to say really as its just standard shooter fare that happens to have been done really well, and it looks like it will deffinitley be worth playing through the full game.
    Last edited by rmoxon; 10-05-2012, 01:24.

I enjoyed it up until the point I had to shoot things, and then it become boring. The mechanics aren't bad by any means but the action is so bland. Shame the demo didn't show off the sand mechanics very well (two scripted moments) but at least it gave you a good go at the game - half an hour or so of gameplay which is quite nice.

Comment

Played this one. Boring, Boring, Boring.

Gears of Spec Ops, with none of the charm of Bulletstorm's fantasy setting.

Worst of all, the game looks great, seems to super high production values, but ultimatly if the demo is representative of the final game, I would say the creative scope of the game is greatly lacking. Taking into account the obvious skill of the artists and dev team, I can't help but wonder if this is due to the publishers being risk adverse.

A new Unreal3 cover shooter is not going to get my ??? unless it does something new. Shooting a mini gun from a helicopter isn't new. Storming a plane wreck and killing tangos in bullet time isn't new. GOW stomp and shoot dynamics aren't new.

The best part of the demo was the black box recorder.

On the basis of the demo, it might be popcorn enough for gamers with masses of time on their hands, but for those with a limited gaming window, this is to avoid.

Comment

Bland.
        That's the word I was trying to think of when playing this.

Cheers PeteJ, I couldn't think of a more apt one word synopsis of Spec Ops: The Line.
        It felt like Blood on the Sand, but without as many F-bombs, Fiddy and funny moments that weren't meant to be funny.

It's a Shame as I was looking forward to this.
        We'll see when the full retail releases.

Comment

I must be the only one that liked it then.

I thought it played a lot better than the likes of that crappy 50 cent game mentioned above. Not sure what you lot wanted this to do differently.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            I thought it played a lot better than the likes of that crappy 50 cent game mentioned above. Not sure what you lot wanted this to do differently.
            The f**k you say about my game?

Comment

I'd of thought rmoxon would of liked it given his penchant for Skulls made of precious stone

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                The f**k you say about my game?
                Hehehehhe

Comment

I liked it overall, more enjoyable than Gears for me though I haven't played no 3. The cover system was very smooth with fast animation linking, I love the sliding into cover, very cool. The animation and visuals are really well done overall, the sound is rubbish though.
                  I like the bullet time thing, a slight slowdown when you headshot is cool and actually handy, it isn't overdone. Regenerating health I don't like though, such a cheap mechanic.

Comment

I really liked this too. I'd not seen anything of it before, so was a nice surprise. Always feels somehow familiar when Nathan Drake Nolan North is on had as the main character. Combat was nice and wholesome, gunplay was solid and as Nakamura said the cover sliding etc was nicely done. I'm interested to see more!

Comment

I didn't mind it, seems worth a playthrough. Just a shame the sand is scripted.

Comment

Working...
                      X