Rocksmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocksmith

Sort of surprising to find that no one has created a first play thread for this yet. While not out in Europe, I thought such a unique concept like this would be worth an import.

Been intrigued by the concept since I saw some guitar tech demo from Disney at E3 many years back. Have had an electrical guitar since I was 15, so something to make me actually play it would always be welcome. The reviews have been fairly solid, with the only criticism seemingly being that isn't as "party friendly" as Guitar Hero/Rock Band. To me this wasn't an issue at all, as my main reason for getting it was to actually get better at playing.

Have played it for about an hour straight now, and am so far pretty impressed. The only reason I'm taking a break from it is simply because playing guitar destroys your fingers if you're inexperienced. My left hand is currently useless after all the crazy shredding I've been doing, but this is normal for beginning guitar players. The skin of your fingers will harden very quickly so this will soon no longer be an issue.

The game does a great job of motivating the player. Like all modern games, you get experience points (RockSmith Points) for everything you do in the game. And you're constantly given new avenues to play in, new amps for creating new sounds, new guitars, new mini-games and other stuff of varying coolness. The game adjusts to your skill on the fly as you play. Hit a lot of notes successfully, and you will see more notes appear on the sheet and vice-versa. I was afraid this game would have an insanely high learning curve compared to the plastic guitar games, but so far this has felt very much like my first encounter with Guitar Hero. I feel like I'm continually getting a tiny bit better, and the game is good at telling me how amazingly skilled I am. The minigame I've unlocked (there are around 10 in total I believe) is great fun too. It consists of moving up and down the frets hammering a string to shoot ducks that appear in each lane. Addictive stuff.

While I've only played it a for a brief period, I'm so far very much impressed with the product. A very thought out product which gives a great feeling of progression when learning, which is about the highest praise I can give a guitar-learning-game.
    Last edited by JSR; 12-05-2012, 13:42.

Wait, what? You can plug in a real guitar? Amaze.

Can it be used as a guitar coach or do you need to know how to play already?

Comment

Yeah, it's only for real guitars, not even compatible with Guitar Hero guitars. Doesn't require any prior knowledge, teaches you everything you need to play it.

Comment

That's amazing. Please review it for the site immediately.

Comment

Do you need to know anything about music or does it really hold your hand the whole way?

Comment

I'm trying to decide whether to get the ps3 or pc version. I've already got a line 6 tone port which is great for recording and applying effects but something to actually teach me to play would be great. I suspect that special cable that comes with it does the same job as my tone port. I wonder if the software is compatible with any other hardware?

Comment

I have just ordered this for the pc, was torn between pc or xbox version I hope I made the right choice.

I am what I would class as a total beginner on guitars, had a few lessons but only picked up a few chords. (I also have little stumpy fingers)

Will let you know how I got on

Comment

Re: Rocksmith

Can't wait to hear your YouTube videos!

You can be the new Kenickie!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  You can be the new Kenickie!
                  Ha that is a name I haven't heard in a while

Comment

Re: Rocksmith

I did actually like them!

I had the "Punka" single, saw them live and even met Lauren Laverne at a Pavement gig at the Newcastle Riverside.

I know they're Maccums not Geordies like you, but I couldn't think of any all-girl bands from Newcastle.

Maybe, thanks to Rocksmith, you can change that! \m/

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I know they're Maccums not Geordies like you, but I couldn't think of any all-girl bands from Newcastle.
                      If only you had seen me and my mate performing wanted dead or alive on rock back (i wouldn't hold out too much hope for us)

Comment

Originally posted by wicky View Post
                        I have just ordered this for the pc, was torn between pc or xbox version I hope I made the right choice.

I am what I would class as a total beginner on guitars, had a few lessons but only picked up a few chords. (I also have little stumpy fingers)

Will let you know how I got on
                        You made the right choice. I have both the 360 and PC versions and the 360 version has quite bad lag, to the point that it doesn't even register that you are playing certain notes at all sometimes when your guitar is set to an alternate tuning. I don't notice this problem on the PC version at all.

Hopefully your PC is in a room where you won't be distracted by other people though, as learning the guitar requires a lot of concentration.

Hopefully Ubisoft have sorted out the problems with the PC version not containing game keys too, I had to wait a few days for them to send me mine, and it required loads of messing about on my part sending them proof of purchase ect.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 31-12-2012, 12:01.

Comment

Picked this up today, along with an electronic pickup and a 1/4 inch jack coupler so I could use my exisiting acoustic guitar. I had to replace my nylon strings with steel strings so the pickup would work, but I'm pretty impressed with the software. For a beginner like myself it seems to have the right balance of simplicity and accessibility.

The menu system is a bit of a slog, the bundled songs are mainly average, and my fingers are hurting from the steel strings, but if it improves my guitar playing then it will be well worth it. Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn guitar.

Regarding the lag, it's at it's worst through HDMI, but is a lot better if you run your sound to your amp using an SPDIF cable, I've not tried it through RCA but that's what Ubisoft recommend.

Comment

I've been learning bass(total beginner) on the 360 version and I've not really noticed any lag. I can play a few short bits on my own now like the start of Roxanne or the bit from Message in a Bottle so I'm happy. I've love to be good at Freebird though. Just need some Smiths tunes to be added and I'll be all set.

Comment

The 360 version deffinitley lags when when playing guitar, I don't know about bass though.

Its deffinitley a fun way to learn how to play guitar, it will teach you songs, however it doesnt actually teach you any kind of theory. You will be playing along in just a few weeks but you won't really know what you're doing in any meaningful way. It's a great tool for technique building though. It's also a more exciting entry point into the world of guitar playing than simply reading what to do online or in a book.

Comment

Working...
                              X