X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madden 13 [all your formats belong to EA] review

"Oh yeah, it's that Tebow time of year again!"

/machomanrandysavage

Well, the football season has started. No, not that namby-pamby thing you call saw-ker. Real football where people truck into each other, get up and brush themselves off every given Sunday.

For peeps who tldr or guys with ADHD or even both, a breakdown of good and bad:

Dan Marino's
    + Finally. Decent-ish physics. Yes there's jankyness (which I'll get to later) but all you NFL2K5'ers can zip it, and yes I did love 2K5, but Madden has been playing half decent since #10.
    + Passing is once again quite good. With being able to lead the receiver a little better. Loads of new Wide Receiver animations.
    + No more EA Trax with obnoxious rap/ metal tracks ruining my game of egghand. Instead, it's going more towards traditional NFL legacy tunes, with not a single licensed track in sight.

JaMarcus Russell's
    - You can still cheese by passing to the Tight End pretty much on every down, and passing to the slot.
    - Online is still full of 10 year olds doing money plays, going for it on 4th and 20, and playing hurry up offense every play.
    - There's a rather annoying glitch where your cornerbacks run commit when coming out of man to man, thus giving the oppositions wide receiver a free catch. There's a huge topic over on operation sports forum about it.
    - The running game (particularly with faster running backs) still feels a little like they're skating rather than running.
    - Disappointed about the lack of any real trademark individualism from major players. Such as Arian Foster taking a bow when getting a TD, or Jared Allen/ Clay Matthews doing to two gun salute when getting a sack. Though I did see Tim Tebow do the erm, Tebow.

The much touted 'Infinity Engine' which is supposed to give dynamic collisions and whatnot.
    Generally it's decent, believable at most. However, there's some funny things happening, usually at the end of each play when the players usually get up, then trip over over someone else, then get up and trip over someone else. Laurel & Hardy this ain't.
    Also, some tackles should result in a forced fumble on close up examination. Mainly when there's one arm flailing from the ball carrier, but yet still manages to maintain a vice-like grip when he arm is bent backwards still carrying the ball.

It makes running the ball a double edged sword, especially navigating your O-Line, since now you can run into your own players which will put a speed bump into your run plays if you're not careful. Before you could keep on running into your own men, and there would be this force field stopping you from making direct contact which would result in a negative play. This year is different.

As always with the Madden crowd, they're the only ones more anally retentive than most when it comes to "real life" representation of Americas favourite pastime into digital form... Meaning difficulty sliders. Again, your mileage may vary depending on what you want from it. There are some good ones (on operation sports) and I'm using one that's a mix of pro/ all-star difficulty, set to 13 minute quarters, so I could get the usual 120-130 plays per NFL average. It does mean playing the best part of an hour on a single game mind you...
    Last edited by jimtendo; 11-09-2012, 22:21.

Yes this got a ten on god is a geek.

A TEN?

Comment

Working...
    X