Dishonored [PS3/360/PC] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dishonored [PS3/360/PC] review

Played up to the end of the first major mission last night.

It doesn't have the strong start of the games it's drawn comparison with, and I don't really feel invested in the story...yet. About halfway through the first open environment though, when I was up to speed with all the games systems and mechanics, it all clicked into place and I was in le zone. It's properly fantastic when it's all up and running.

The level design is the major success for me so far. I've gone for the patient non-lethal stealthy approach (with a small allowance for choppin' folk for when it goes tits up), and it really gives you time to drink in just how well put together the level is, and how many options you have. I was thinking this morning, that by the time I'd completed the first mission, I had such a clear picture of the level layout that I could walk through it from start to finish...I can't say that about many modern games really, and it makes me want to replay levels right away...rather than the usual never again.

The rune heart is brilliant too, it gives you just the right amount of info, and is a really simple way of ensuring you explore every nook and cranny. The blink ability is also great, and allows for some gutsy maneuvers that wouldn't be possible in other games...I do miss daring runs across opens spaces, though, and guards seem to give up a little too easily if you use it to escape.

So far, all its little systems have worked together beautifully and have produced some pretty nice, organic feeling puzzles with multiple solutions. Even the rat possessing ability has produced a neat little puzzle, and initially I thought that idea was a bit...stupid?

Really like it so far, looking forward to playing more...
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Nobody playing one of the highest rated games of 2012?

Ok, I've only done about the first half an hour but it seems good so far

Comment

Ive done the first act, loving the stealth and controls. Would be playing it now but i'm trying to wrap up sleeping dogs first!

Comment

I have put a few hours into this so far and have got as far as first mission. I dont know why but it just has not clicked for me yet, just cant quite put my finger on why this exactly, the combat is pretty good and the world is pretty clever, maybe just need to play more.

One thing that does really bother me is it really is a not a great looking game, i hate to sound like graphics whore because generally im not but it just looks pretty bad, maybe i have been spoiled by recent games. If this was released 3-4 years ago it would be understandable but when pretty much all games released for Xbox now are really pushing the system to its limits, this is disappointing.

Comment

I'm hoping its a slow burner, I've played a couple of hours and I am a little disappointed. I'm hoping as I unlock more abilities that it opens up more options for me, I seem to be struggling with the stealth and end up just killing, which I don't want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            I'm hoping its a slow burner, I've played a couple of hours and I am a little disappointed. I'm hoping as I unlock more abilities that it opens up more options for me, I seem to be struggling with the stealth and end up just killing, which I don't want to do.
            Thats really funny you should say that about the stealth, im having the exact same problems. I just end up always getting spotted and end up just killing everything which kind of is not what the game is about, the restrictions on ammo for example dont help. Another thing is im crap with the sword when it come to blocking/parrying, its not to bad one on one but when someone goes behind you it makes it impossible.

Comment

I completely stealth-ed the prison with no problems. While choking someone you can actually move while you are doing it, so you can pull them out of view, grab them and then just drop them somewhere.

Comment

One word; amazing!!

More words; the world, characters and art style are all fantastic. The little interaction between Corvo and Emily at the beginning so he doesn't seem like a cold blooded psycho.

I really like the stealth although taking on a group of soldiers was brilliant! The counter and power items (left hand) stuff is really well done.

The gripes I've read about this being 4 hours long seem stupid seeing as I spent 2 doing the first main assassination. I really like the multiple choice way of dealing with the "level bosses" too.

Definitely a contender for my GotY.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                  Nobody playing one of the highest rated games of 2012?

Ok, I've only done about the first half an hour but it seems good so far
                  I decided to wait til I have heard more views on here. I think I will have a similar experience to the one that EvilBoris mentioned...so will be a better idea to wait for the magic ?17.99 price drop unless I am persuaded.

Comment

I'm surprised how much dialogue there is in the game. You can talk to people for ages before they take away the option to talk anymore. Then there's the heart which tells you secrets about whoever you are looking at. She (the heart) seems to have alot to say too. Can also peek through keyholes and overhear conversations, sometimes concerning you, before entering rooms. Still feel like I've barely touched the game though.

Comment

Ok, it was starting to get good towards the end of the first real missoin, the scope for variety really became apparent. I've levelled up a couple of abilities now and I am finding it easier.

I'd love to see this running on a PC, the watercolour texture thing they are trying to do doesn't seem to look right, especially with all the compression artifacts knocking around.

It does look very unreal enginey, if Bioshock infinite was out, I think we would be suprised by just how similar they look because of it.
                      Last edited by EvilBoris; 13-10-2012, 16:48.

Comment

Started at 10:30pm last night and finished at 4am today - they have created an amazing place in Dunwall and can't recommend enough

After making solid progress I have unlocked the majority of the Rune playbook - so many options on how to complete each objective and proving quite challenging on hard, engrossing.

Comment

well I played upto and including the first mission... Seems awfully bland to me - its just not satisfying or fun for me. Combat is restrictive and stealth isn't satisfying. It looks quite poor too, though it does have a nice visual style. The only positive is that it's big, if that kinda thing floats your boat...

Issues with combat could have been fixed with a change in perspective and some minor tweaking. I expected something a lot more then a slightly modded Bioshock really... Ah well...

Comment

I'm playing it on the pc with max settings. Will post some videos when i get back to it. It doesn't look great mind you, lazy pc port. Looks nowhere near as good as sleeping dogs in terms of a console game on a pc.

Comment

I may set myself a challenge of 1000g this game, not really looked at all the cheeves but this will FULLY tide me over til Forza Horizon.
                              Was really enjoying being a stealth bastard, sword at the ready.
                              Noticed the dialogue too, really is a lot of talking and it adds to all the lore.
                              Really was enjoying the couple of hours I put into first proper mission, always get distracted by secondary objectives ALWAYS have to do them.

Comment

Working...
                              X