Peter Molyneux's Curiosity review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity review

First thing i'll say is I've been waiting years for a game of to come along, I've literally stopped playing Halo 4.

The graphics, absoutely incredible. I can't believe I'm playing it on a phone, there is a small part of me secretly wishing it was in 1080p@60hz though.

So right, you have a cube, you can rotate the cube around and if you keep zooming and zooming and zooming in, you reach pixel level.
    Tapping on a pixel destroys it, Minecraft style, revealing another layer below it. You can't touch this 2nd layer until THE WHOLE OUTSIDE LAYER has been tapped away.
    Mind blowing stuff.
    I've tapped my screen over 8000 times now, it just never gets old!
    I can't wait to finish tapping away at the green layer and reach the red layer!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

More smoke & mirrors from the maestro himself of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
      More smoke & mirrors from the maestro himself of The Emperor's New Clothes.
      What?

Comment

Comment

Is it the Big Brother of the gaming world. What social experiments do we need to know as gamers?

Comment

Errr... So you basically just tap the screen a lot then?

I'm a bit lost... I don't understand why that is mind blowing?

Is this sone kind of sarcastic joke thread?

What is happening!?
            Last edited by rmoxon; 07-11-2012, 23:35.

Comment

Loving it! Just like Minecraft, but without all the fluff. Simple yet genius.

Comment

Its a social experiment. There are over a billion small cubes to tap on a giant, muliti-layered, cube. Everyone who plays the game is playing the same cube.

Whoever taps outs the last cube wins a prize., and nobody knows what it is. It is then up to them if they want to tell anyone else what the prize was. Hence, curiosity.

It is, quite frankly, a disaster. Im warming to the concept, but the technical implementation is appalling. The cube hasn't updated for me in over 12.hours, and even when it did there was a huge disconnect from what you saw 'zoomed out' (where you see the cube) and what you see 'zoomed in' (how you interact). Frequent errors, crashing, losing scores etc... This wasn't anywhere near ready for release.

Comment

Yeah I just looked at it again and it looks no different to last night. SUCKSOR

Comment

So it's just reverse Jenga?

Comment

This is equal parts ****e and genius. It's like Molyneux is taking his revenge against all the people that rightly criticised him in the past.

Comment

Strange that they screwed up the load handling. It's a free game from the hype master: anything he released would get hundreds of thousands of downloads almost immediately.

Once you're in you seem to stay in, unless you hit the FB button... so right there you have some strategy elements.

Other than that if you can tap blocks without mis-tapping (tap the layer below, or wait too long) you'll build up a multiplier, which resets when you mis-tap. Your highest chained score is stored top-left. On top of that you get a bonus when you completely clear a screen of blocks without hitting FB (score depending on how many blocks were on the screen, which is therefore related to your zoom level and maybe the device you're playing on).

Takes about 5 minutes to get 100,000 coins. So far I've bought firecrackers (5,000) and bombs (115,000), both of which are short lasting and don't appear to provide the benefit that they cost. I'll try the iron chisel (300,000) if I play long enough - will only make sense if it can clear 300k coins in 5 minutes.

So far I haven't found further depth to the scoring, but I expect they'll add something as the cube progresses. It's possible that I'm looking at it from too much of a gaming perspective.
                        Last edited by Nijo; 09-11-2012, 18:42.

Comment

Iron Chisel: made 500k in 5 minutes (200k profit). Tiresome work though.

Comment

Ok, a 3 million combo with the steel chisel.

And I'm done.

Comment

I have to stay away from this thread!!! Last night I spent a good hour typing and deleting my words, haha.

It has certainly been interesting reading people's thoughts about this. I can imagine Peter laughing to himself
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                              X