Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Ops declassified - PS VITA review

Right,

So this potentially massive game for the vita has arrived finally, and after trying to keep optimistic about the final quality of this title, the truth is....it kind of sucks bad.

Where to start?

Well seeing as its my number one vita bugbear the visuals. Subnative/No AA/crap A.I/really crap excuse for a visual respresentation. Why on gods earth have sony made a machine with this resolution when 95% of the retail games dont even use every pixel, and still look ****. A first for a handheld surely outside of retro/emulated titles on psp etc.

On to the controls, and as soon as you fire up the combat training its just a bit of a nightmare from the get go. The dual analogue sticks are nowhere near up to scratch, if you thought aiming in uncharted was bad then dont even come here, seriously. Touch screen knifing feels completely wrong, though funnily enough frags felt ok. If like me you like to tackle cod in veteran mode, then please save your self the stress and strands of hair, because by virtue of the dire controls its just unfathomably difficult.

In terms of the story/levels/design etc, i've only played a few missions but its sorely lacking any (even faked) excitement in terms of decent set pieces, and levels are so dull and basic it makes the first basic level of something like doom seem like a masterpiece here in 2012. They should have gone with a real bang of an opener in mission one, instead you get such a dull intro into the game, and things havent really improved a few missions in either....although i have only played 4 of them so far. It may take a while to update this, because they are so tedious. If you hate the way cod is like walk to set piece> wait> kill some guys>next set piece> rinse and repeat, then forget this game, because its that drastically shortened, and devoid of any excitement at all.

The multiplayer side of things so far is a complete disaster. As i sit here typing i have spent the last 45 minutes trying to connect to a game, the closest a came was getting into the map loading screen once, and right when the game was about to start it kicked me back to the menu for the 100th time... i kid you not. Then to make matters worse when you try and start another game by clicking on "multiplayer" it gives you a blank screen and you cannot return to the main menu at all, you just sit like a plumb until you shut the game down and restart it, holding out each time through the tedious loading screens etc. To have to relaunch the game every time you crash upon multiplayer error.....really sony/activision/nihilistic???

You know you are onto a **** dev when on day one they introduce a patch to implement something that should have always been part of the game from beta onwards, and the patch ruins the rest of the multiplayer. And the patch itself was 409mb.

I've never tried so hard for a **** 4v4 in my life, hell even the ps2 could handle more players in its also crappy port of rainbow six 3 years back, without any issues, and with visuals and level size that rival this. And here was me thinking that the vita was probably more powerful than the original xbox, forget the ps2....hang on let me check the specs a second, the xbox produced 16 player online games with better visuals, bigger levels etc and on paper was nowhere near as powerful?

Awful.

This kind of game could be considered a landmark for all the wrong reasons, "the hump that broke the camels back" if you will.

The best part? the menu music that is idential to black ops.

And the only thing that made me smile? the ?44.99 price tag on psn. Oh sony bless you, its like you have two divisions working against each other. One team comes up with PS+ on vita as fantastic money saving deal, the other makes deals with publishers to create games this ****, and champion the use of sub-native ****-o-vision.

Anyway, try at your own risk.

EDIT(going off the topic of this game): What this kind of game and other just recently have really tought me personally, is that the biggest failings of the vita have come at the cost of cheap skating on sony's part each and every time. Sub native trending most probably comes from cutting the vita gfx memory prior to release, and sub native was an easy/cheap way to get the already mostly developed games out quick, rather than properly optimising games for the memory cut. I mean can you imagine how amazing the likes of uncharted would have been at native res? and AC3? the mind boggles. They would change from being good looking but strangely dull/muddy, to genuine pick your mouths off the floor games, and in turn system sellers like COD2 was on xbox360 back in 2005....and who could forget seeing that on those samsung HDTV's in game and thinking "holy ****"!?

Cut down ports to some extent could be down to the game size cap, which brings me nicely onto the loading times of many vita games. If sony are going to give us old gen SD card tech, then at least give us decent sized cards for our money, but oh no they had to be greedy both ways, old tech and shady memory sizes for top dollar. Meaning crappy game size caps, and infuriatingly long loading times in quite a few games(though i hear ragnorok is decent in this regard).

Sorry guys this has veered off into a vita rant, but i'm a nats bollock away from tarding this machine in as much as i love certain things, its a painful waste of fantastic tech.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Your post confirms my suspicions. And I agree: the game selection on Vita are mostly examples of missed opportunities. Though I think we should be careful to put the blame on Nihilistic. As soon as they where "finished" with (when Sony deemed the game ready to ship) Resistance Burning Skies, Sony put them to work on this game, with only a few months before the game is supposed to ship. Nihilistic have even stated that they are done doing console games now, seemingly discouraged by the jobs and results given by Sony. I suspect Activision haven't even touched the game; only cashing checks from Sony to allow them to use the license.

Comment

Just deleted my game data, and reinstalled on vita to check if the patch is still up.

Suddenly no need to patch, pulled already.

Jees.

Edit: Its up again.
      Last edited by PaTaito; 14-11-2012, 05:28.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed impressions. The lack of reviews up yesterday seemed to indicate this might be the case.

Comment

Thank you for your very honest and very detailed review, you have saved me ?40 as i was considering buying it. I really did not think that was going to be a worth while effort, you only need to see the amount of attention it has got since E3, which is pretty much nothing at all. Considering all the previews in mags and online for Blops2 on consoles i cant remember this having a single, decent preview with pictures etc.

What this does show is again these greedy publishes who just release absolute ****e games, or in EA's case with Fifa 12, just updating the player roster and charge ?40 for the pleasure of it. What is really depressing about this is the Vita is capable of so much more, it could easily handle a full on COD with all the trimmings, just needs a developer to spend time and make something decent, not churn something out in 8 months. You only need to see how much effort Criteron put into NFSMW, this has had lots of love lavished on it by its developer. Bet then why bother if people will still go out in there droves and happily pay money for something with the Call Of Duty name.

Comment

Developed by Nihilistic of PlayStation Move Heroes and Resistance Burning Skies "fame".

Should tell you all you need to knocw about this game.

...although I kinda "enjoyed" Resistance.

Comment

This is perhaps the worst game I have ever bought. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                Developed by Nihilistic of PlayStation Move Heroes and Resistance Burning Skies "fame".

Should tell you all you need to knocw about this game.

...although I kinda "enjoyed" Resistance.
                Did you not read my post?

Comment

So I take it this is the system seller the Vita needs?
                  Welllll I say system seller, I actually mean once you play it you sell your vita.
                  HAR HAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                    Did you not read my post?
                    Yeah, but Move Heroes was **** too so in my books that's 3 for 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                      So I take it this is the system seller the Vita needs?
                      Welllll I say system seller, I actually mean once you play it you sell your vita.
                      HAR HAR!
                      lol indeed, literally the ONLY reason i havent gone to town today to trade in my vita in anger, is that persona 4 golden is out later this month in the US...a game i want bad.

And i expect nothing less than a stellar game, seeing as its something of a sweetheart in japan.

Comment

Several reviews have said the missions are 3-4 minutes long.
                        Gameo former said he'd finished the main single player game in 42 minutes

Comment

I can't believe the number of people on here that have given Activision money for this. Did anyone here really think this could ever be good? Or that some degree of effort would be put in (I'm ignoring who the developers are - they never stood a chance with Activision in charge). This had cash in written all over it from the moment it was announced. I guess there is a bit of a drought with Vita software so you are all forgiven. Don't do it again though.

Move Heroes was total arse.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                            I can't believe the number of people on here that have given Activision money for this. Did anyone here really think this could ever be good? Or that some degree of effort would be put in (I'm ignoring who the developers are - they never stood a chance with Activision in charge). This had cash in written all over it from the moment it was announced. I guess there is a bit of a drought with Vita software so you are all forgiven. Don't do it again though.

Move Heroes was total arse.
                            I bought it mainly because i loved the 2v2/3v3's that were introduced on mw3.....so i still thought that with such a solid background to tap into for the multiplayer, even nihilistic perhaps could come up with something fun to wittle away lunch breaks, and boring trips to relatives you dont really care about!!!

This game will **** the vita, if it wasnt ****ed already...i'm sure of that.

Get your trade ins quick after xmas folks, or right now if you dont plan on playing persona.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Yeah, but Move Heroes was **** too so in my books that's 3 for 3.
                              Imagine having some time consuming repairs done on your car. You deliver it to the mechanic who starts working on it right away. Ten minutes later you come back stopping the process and take your car with you. The car is still broken. Who's to blame: The mechanic or you?
                              Last edited by JSR; 15-11-2012, 02:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X