No announcement yet.

New Super Mario Bros. U review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MarioU is much more fun than the LuigiU, I 100% this when i first got it, i just cant bring myself to want to keep playin LuigiU atm, never mind find all the coins... maybe a 6 month break from 2D platformers will make me wanna play it again..

Comment

The NSMBU challenges have pulled me away from Monster Hunter. True story. This is slowly becoming my favourite 2D Mario game.

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      Always felt it looks so uninspired.
      Nah, it's awesome stuff. Which other Mario game lets you try stuff like this?

Comment

Almost had a heart attack just watching that!

Comment

Jesus thats scary!!

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Crazy skills

Comment

Am I the only one that finds the snow levels on this intensely frustrating?

Comment

Seven years later (Jesus Christ) and I'm getting into the late worlds again on the Deluxe release. As Nintendo has grown progressively lazy in its ports to the Switch it isn't worth creating a new thread for what is the same experience here. Going back after a long time I feel like there's the potential to write some sort of thesis on how it is that it's so hard to care about the New Super Mario Bros games. Like last time, I'm enjoying it broadly enough but the game makes no lasting impression and always feels like an imitation of better times with the plumber. You have to take the reliance of these ports as a signal Nintendo will super-cheap out of making new instalments for the current system and in this instance I'm fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Seven years later (Jesus Christ) and I'm getting into the late worlds again on the Deluxe release. As Nintendo has grown progressively lazy in its ports to the Switch it isn't worth creating a new thread for what is the same experience here. Going back after a long time I feel like there's the potential to write some sort of thesis on how it is that it's so hard to care about the New Super Mario Bros games. Like last time, I'm enjoying it broadly enough but the game makes no lasting impression and always feels like an imitation of better times with the plumber. You have to take the reliance of these ports as a signal Nintendo will super-cheap out of making new instalments for the current system and in this instance I'm fine with that.
                    It's just because one of the early ones was a shocking success, even to Nintendo; the Wii game sold almost 30 million copies. It's insane.

Comment

The Wii game was a banger in 4 player to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        You have to take the reliance of these ports as a signal Nintendo will super-cheap out of making new instalments for the current system and in this instance I'm fine with that.
                        Lol, you make it sound like producing an NSMB game is somehow expensive for Nintendo - they've recycled the same audio and visual assets since NSMB Wii! It wouldn't have killed them to have made a little more effort for a genuine "NSMB Switch", surely?
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-01-2019, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          It's just because one of the early ones was a shocking success, even to Nintendo; the Wii game sold almost 30 million copies. It's insane.
                          Yup.

NSMB Wii also pretty much destroyed any chance of there ever being a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Yup.

NSMB Wii also pretty much destroyed any chance of there ever being a Super Mario Galaxy 3.
                            Yeah, and the thing is, I struggle to blame them because of the sheer difference. It isn’t that NSMB was more successful; it was probably more successful by an order of magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Yeah, and the thing is, I struggle to blame them because of the sheer difference. It isn’t that NSMB was more successful; it was probably more successful by an order of magnitude.
                              Hard to disagree with that. NSMB Wii decimated both SMG games for sales.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the finest games of that Wii/360/PS3 generation but there's no denying that it underperformed (at least in Nintendo's eyes) - just under 7.5m copies sold worldwide when its predecessor sold 13m copies, and even that pales in comparison to NSMB Wii's 30m copies sold.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-02-2019, 08:17.

Comment

I loved NSMBU on Wii-U. It felt like the closest thing to Super Mario World you're likely to get these days. It's not a better game than either of the Galaxies but it's still a great game.

To this day though I still can't understand how the masses embraced classic 2D Mario over 3D in the modern era.

Comment

Working...
                                X