Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Vita / 3DS review review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Vita / 3DS review review

It's a little disheartening that no-one's beaten me to this...

Virtue's Last Reward is the successor to the rather wonderful 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, and is now available in all territories for the 3DS and Vita. It's the latest visual novel from Chunsoft, and in the PAL version you keep the original Japanese dub with English text throughout.

As the main selling point is the actual story, whetting appetites without giving away too much is tricky, but the first 5 minutes see you waking up in a locked lift with a white haired girl and a weird bracelet with the number "3" written in LED letters on it. You know you need to get out, but not much else - who she is, where you are, or how you got there. Soon afterwards you realise that's it's not just the two of you that are trapped, and there is something much more sinister afoot.

The story goes in all kinds of weird and wonderful directions, and if you've played 999 before you'll probably be pleased to find out that there's been some huge improvements made in how the story branches and plays between different playthroughs. The production values are much higher too, with 3D models being used for the characters instead of just sprites.

Instead of just telling you what it is though, what I want to say here is that I bloody love this game and you should all play it. Whilst there's plenty of references to 999, many are explained, and it's certainly not essential to have played it before you start this. I believe there's also a demo on the Vita store (not sure about 3DS), so you should at least try it to get a flavour of the gameplay even if not the plot.

I believe I'm creeping up on having done everthing there is to see now, and it's taken me nearly 40 hours. Before I go in for the final stretch though, I can tell I'm going to need some kind of harness for my cock and bollocks for when they are inevitably blown clear off my body by the grand finale.

Anyone else playing it?
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Not playing it as Persona 4 Golden has been sucking up all my gaming time. Thanks for the impressions though, I'm still really excited to play it. What version are you playing, PSV or 3DS?

Comment

I'm playing the Vita version (and P4G is next on my list!), as I thought getting some trophies in the process would be a nice little bonus, and I never play with the slider up on my 3DS anyway. Supposedly there is a savegame-corrupting bug in the 3DS version though - I guess that is worth mentioning in here! In short, when you get to the escape section of PEC room, do NOT SAVE YOUR GAME.

Comment

There is a demo on Nintendo EU 3DS store also, tried it the other day (before I sold my 3DS) was nice, not enough for me to keep 3DS but nice. Always wanted to play 999, hell I even started the original thread on NTSC-UK (which is lone gone) but again I never bought it, I always do that
        REALLY wanted one of the 999 watches though, ahem.

Comment

Not gone mate, it's right here:

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Sadly our expert review (cough cough splutter) of 999 is gone, however...

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
              DOH trust me to write Nine instead of 9, damn
              Cheers for the link. 2009? man oh man.
              Take it you wrote the original review Fuse? Should re-publish it.
              Last edited by Family Fry; 13-12-2012, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                DOH trust me to write Nine instead of 9, damn
                Cheers for the link. 2009? man oh man.
                Take it you wrote the original review Fuse? Should re-publish it.
                Guilty as charged, your honour. I will have to prod Charles at some point!

Finished this completely last night, and holy moly that ending. I want other people to finish it so I can talk about it!

Comment

Will definitely be picking this up, once i have my vita. Which is due to arrive at any moment. Been looking for a good text adventure game for a long time. I was hooked on Policenauts when the english translation was released.

Comment

From the strength of the demo I was going to pick this up but I had heard you needed to play 999 to fully appreciate the ending. When you completely rinse it can you let us know if that's true?

Comment

There are a fair few references to characters and events in the first game; some are discussed by the characters at critical plot points, and you can get additional snippets by scouring around in the 'files' part of the menu to piece together the general story of 999, but you're unlikely to have a true understanding of what's happened before. I hope no-one considers it a spoiler to say that the links between the two certainly ramp up in the later parts of the game.

Comment

I got the vita version on release and have been slowly working my way though it ever since. Absolutely loving it, but having never played 999 do think I'm missing something, especially when one of the characters starts talking about events that happened before. I've seen 2 "bad" endings so far,

one where clover gets 9 points and legs it, and the same but with K instead, also got to 3 or 4 to be continued spots, where I'm presuming I have to play different variants of the story before I can continue onwards.

Definitely want to pick up 999 after playing this, but I think I'll finish this one first... I think.

Comment

Just starting this now courtesy of my Secret Santa! Looks pretty engrossing so far, looking forward to getting properly stuck in. RSG are releasing some awesome games at the moment.
                          Zero Escape looks like one to take your time over so far.

Comment

Which is the version to get? I'm guessing Vita for the improved graphics and resolution.

Comment

Trophies was a plus for me too. 3DS has 3D if that's your bag, but it also has a couple of major bugs that bork your save data.

Comment

Working...
                              X