Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster than Light review

Anyone else playing this?

I've had it a few weeks and I'm still totally hooked on it, I've got to the final sector only once on easy and I still got totally killed.

I keep trying to vary my strategy between buying more crew and spending the scrap on upgrades, anybody got any tips?

For those of you who don't know what this is small resource management game

You have a ship that you can choose from a selection and you have to fly around the galaxy fighting and upgrading your ship and completing missions.
    You have various little rooms , engine room, shield room, life support etc and each of these can be upgraded in various ways, they are also responsibly for the various functions of your ship. If any of the rooms get damaged, you have to send one of your small crew to fix it so you can use it again.

It's hard to explain how it plays, all I know is it is addictive as hell with a real one more go factor and it's hard as ****.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I played it quite a while ago, it's very good. I just didn't really get the urge to go back for some reason.

I'd reach a certain point, and be f**ked and there's nothing you can do because your weapons suck or whatever. I suppose you can always run into issues like that with randomly generated games though so it's forgivable.

I wonder if anything's been added since I played it (right near launch).

Comment

I've been playing this quite a bit and have unlocked a couple of ships the engi and stealth ones. Both demand different styles of play too, which keeps things fresh. They are bloody hard to use though and with the game being so unforgivable it means I'm struggling with the stealth ship especially.

It's an excellent game though, had lots of fun with it.

Comment

I unlocked the stealth ship last night, I didn't last one battle

Comment

Almost completed this last night with the stealth ship. I upgraded the cloak right away and then bought a shield. Became indestructible with a defense drone too.

Found my best weapon combination to be missile, beam and normal laser.

I managed to defeat the mother ship once but the base fell before I could get it again

Comment

This is a truly great game, been stuck to my screen all week playing away and I get the feeling I'm gonna keep coming back to it. Every upgrade decision is meaningful, and trying to get the right blend is what keeps sucking me back. Very nice pixel art and soundtrack too. It's on sale at the moment on Steam and at the GOG website, go pick it up now!

Comment

I think I've played over 20 hours and I've only gotten to the last zone twice!

I've just discovered that almost all of the systems/subsystems give you additional blue choices in certain situations. Even ones like the med may which I never bothered upgrading before.

I played a game where I decided to board everyone, it's quite an efficient way to take out a ship.

Comment

I picked this up in the Steam sales (for ?3.49!), loaded it up for the first time this morning at 11.00, and now it's 1.10 in the morning! It's been a long, long time since a game has kept me glued to the screen in this way. Brilliant stuff and already a possible goty for me.

Comment

Definite GOTY for me. I'd love to have this on Vita.

Comment

This would be pefrect on ipad or Android Tab.

Lends itself to touchscreen.

Comment

I finally finished it on normal yesterday. The last fight is up there with all time air punching gaming moments!

Comment

Easy choice for GotY 2012 for me, this one.

I've played it for 40hrs and have only beat it twice. It becomes amazing when a whole bunch of **** hits the fan at exactly the same time. You get boarded by 4 human beings whilst you try to fight a ship at full health with a level 2 shield. These intruders per-occupy your crew but there's a breach in the O2 room and if you don't fix that, your crew will suffocate.

It's these scenarios that make this game immense and whilst it is hard, it takes some experience to know which choices are the ones to go for.

Comment

Originally posted by Btang84 View Post
                          It's these scenarios that make this game immense and whilst it is hard, it takes some experience to know which choices are the ones to go for.
                          Agreed. I like TFL for similar reasons to Dark Souls. It's just as unforgiving and every bit as satisfying. You learn by making mistakes at the start and experimenting with different play styles, and then slowly you start to take the game by the horns and take the fight to the bastards! Then you unlock another ship and it's almost like starting again. This is the goty - more people need to play it!

I just finished with a Rock ship - red health and virtually all systems giving up. It was just as air punchingly great as the last time

Comment

So is it like infinite space?

Comment

Loving this, it's such a unique experience. Could do with unlocking more ships though...

Comment

Working...
                              X