No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [PS3/Xbox 360] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'stealth' in this game is crap. Enemies sometimes see or hear you right away, sometimes they don't. There aren't really stealth options. I rebought it last week for about 5 bucks, and 2 days later the DLC was apparently free on PSN. But not for Europe sadly.

Ofcourse you can master this game, I sort of mastered Dino Crisis 3 as I eventually didn't get hit anymore. But the core mechanics are still ****. Bayonetta had a much better camera and fighting system, you could see enemies from all angles and react accordingly. No need for semi-retarded stealth that doesn't work properly to even the odds either.

DmC is also ****. Its an easy game thats basically only good for one run. Its not nearly as rewarding as the past games were. Peeps should retry DMC4, and find out its actually pretty solid still. Or DMC HD Collection.

Comment

There is so much untruth being spouted about DmC it's unreal. The latter two difficulty levels remixed the level layouts and gave brand new challenges. That section on the circular walkway with the acid pools and the three big guys charging you down was very memorable... you had to find space to pull them over on their ass and either get out of the way so they would smash into each other and not you, or find the time to charge up a super launcher and get them up in the air so you were clear of the danger below and you could go all aerial rave on them. Easy is not the word I would use, and yes I have DMD'd all the previous titles in the devil may cry series (not 2) so I know how tough it can get.

What confuses is me is when people say it's easy and only good for one run, when that statement alone proves that they haven't played on the higher difficulties which have to be unlocked.

Anyway this was supposed to be about revengeance... I will see if I can stick it out and come back with further impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
        The 'stealth' in this game is crap.
        It's crap in Super Mario Kart as well, what's the point here? There are only around five or six sections that actually give stealth as an option anyway.

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
        Bayonetta had a much better camera and fighting system, you could see enemies from all angles and react accordingly.
        And again, you're missing the point. Imagine playing MGS by just running in and trying to mow everyone down like you're playing Shock Troopers or something. It'd be **** and you be blaming the poor game design. Watch the video above, there are many ways you can tackle the enemy layouts. You can't just steam in like in Bayonetta and rely on skills 100% of the time, this is more 70% skills and 30% approach.

Comment

Played a couple of hours of this tonight.. Amazing game. I'm using the vr missions to get my skills up. Had a bit of trouble with the ai dog thing that calls in reinforcements because I couldn't get the block right but luckily it called in some regular troops so I could get some health back. Will have another go tomorrow. love it

Comment

Just wondering, got PS3 version on PS+ recently and it's summat massive like 11gig, they include DLC on + or is it just a huge file? Really like look of this, plus the graf near Leeds City Square now always reminds me to download it, dread it cos it's so damn huge!!!

Comment

It's a metal gear game. Think cutscenes and insane amounts of dialog ;-)

Comment

Eh, not so much from Rising compared to your regular MGS game.

Comment

Still a ****load compared to most other games. Codec conversations are still lengthy.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    Really like look of this, plus the graf near Leeds City Square now always reminds me to download it
                    Wow! Is it still there? I wouldn't mind going for my photo taken against it.

Comment

Yeah mate, went to Huddersfield on Thursday to pick up a modded Xbox, passed it on the bus! Always have a doobie in City Square when I'm passing through so kind of associate it with that, weird!

Comment

Nice association.

I might go and check it out if I have the time when I come back at Christmas.

Comment

Any tips on how to become awesome at this? At the moment I'm just accepting that I'll get hit occasionally as I try to work out the parry timing when I meet new enemies and hope that I can harvest fluid to fix myself but is there some way I can know what i can and cannot parry? If I suspect I can't parry I just ninja run away at the moment. Also is toward + Square while not holding any other button the only way to parry i.e. does that parry horizontal and vertical attacks? Thanks!

Comment

I loved this when I was playing it, but for some reason I just stopped. Still definitely need to go back to it once next gen crazyness has worn off Have a feeling I might get caned though, I was playing on hard and was up to chapter 6 or 7 I think.

Comment

Weeeellll...despite having had this free on PS+ for two years I never DLed it...but Morrisons had this new n' sealed on 360 for like ?4/?5 the other week and I caved.

Gave it a good two/threeish hours earlier. Got to the middle of stage 3. I'm hating the dark, generic levels so far. But I'm liking a lot of stuff about this, and as Raiden has been SO brutalised so far I'm rooting for him quite badly.

Trouble is...the combat...I can't 'get' it. I'm messing up. I S-Ranked the first boss on my first try and I'm now in a sewer on those gorilla cyborg things and I'm twunted. I even had trouble with that cyber wolf boss earlier...can you block? Or can you parry everything? I feel like I'm missing something and I'm winning by luck. I reckon if this combat system clicks with me, I'm gonna love this. What am I doing wrong with the combat?

I keep getting hit and twunted to the ground all the time and maybe I'm not parrying enough? Like, them big cyborg things that kick you with their camp naked legs, I just don't know what I'm doing with them, I beat them constantly but it's awkward, I just wanna know what I'm doing. Mistral, I beat her first time, but oh what a stressful, unsatisfying battle. I sense the combat in this is FUN, I just feel like I don't know how to make it that way for me!!!

Comment

That's how it was with me. Too much stress and took too long to click, so I just stopped playing. It never reached the 'fun' factor I was looking for. Unless you get it, it sucks. Very different from something like DMC3 which is still fun even if you haven't mastered the combat.

Comment

Working...
                                X