Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien colonial marines ps3 review

Ok,

Most of the moaning about this seemed to be coming from people who hadnt even played it, so i decided to trade a load of stuff at cex and pick a copy of it up as i was curious and liked the last game.

I have just come off a 4 hour session on the campaign and i think its great. I have saw two small glitches, but everything is nice and smooth. Technically i think its great; the sound is meaty (with a strong orchestrated score) and the lighting looks stunning in places. I have had no problems with the AI (played on hardened), and they hide and try to flank you throughout. The weapons are awesome and fully upgradable, with sights, under sling attachments, extended mag, etc. For a fps, it controls perfectly, and has the same fluildity of movement as a COD game. There are afew nods to COD (mainly the upgrade system), but it works well and you are always on the lookout for upgrade ribbons. The gun play is excellent, and i have even decapitated human enemies with the pluse rifle. The aliens clambering up pipng is excellent and there are some really tense fire fights. I havent touched multiplayer yet.

A strong shooter, that has really surprised me

I am not a massive aliens fan tbh, but if you are i'd say you'll go nuts for some of the detail in this game. Dont believe the internet BS

Game was patched on loading to ver 1.02.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I have played it.

I wish I hadn't.

I thought it was a tragic waste of the license.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      I have played it.

I wish I hadn't.

I thought it was a tragic waste of the license.
      How long did you play it for and what did you expect of the game?
      Last edited by dvdx2; 15-02-2013, 17:00.

Comment

I, as most who'd seen the trailers, had hopes for a decent FPS with all the trappings of the Alien universe.

I played for about 2 hours before I had to turn it off.

It looked awful, glitching everywhere, with really boring corridor based shooting.

I liked the music and some of the sound effects but the voice acting was laughable and it just felt old.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2
          Ok,

Most of the moaning about this seemed to be coming from people who hadnt even played it, so i decided to trade a load of stuff at cex and pick a copy of it up as i was curious and liked the last game.

I have just come off a 4 hour session on the campaign and i think its great. I have saw two small glitches, but everything is nice and smooth. Technically i think its great; the sound is meaty (with a strong orchestrated score) and the lighting looks stunning in places. I have had no problems with the AI (played on hardened), and they hide and try to flank you throughout. The weapons are awesome and fully upgradable, with sights, under sling attachments, extended mag, etc. For a fps, it controls perfectly, and has the same fluildity of movement as a COD game. There are afew nods to COD (mainly the upgrade system), but it works well and you are always on the lookout for upgrade ribbons. The gun play is excellent, and i have even decapitated human enemies with the pluse rifle. The aliens clambering up pipng is excellent and there are some really tense fire fights. I havent touched multiplayer yet.

A strong shooter, that has really surprised me

I am not a massive aliens fan tbh, but if you are i'd say you'll go nuts for some of the detail in this game. Dont believe the internet BS

Game was patched on loading to ver 1.02.

I finished the campaign mode and totally enjoyed it, isnt without its flaws but it is a solid shooter' 7\10...
          multiplayer is a load of fun, this game didn't deserve such bad publicity

Comment

Its bad , but its 5/6 out of 10 bad imo. The worst part is that the 1st 20 mins of gameplay with its rather nice setting and atmosphere just shows how much potential this game had . The AI , bugs and graphics let the game down badly

Comment

I've not played this game, so it might not be so bad, but ive seen the demo video and i guess most people that bought it was expecting something near that level, so this game is a lie and should be judged on that merit.

Comment

I've been playing the Xbox version of this for 3-4hrs last night and enjoyed every tense second of it. Bar some tearing on very quick movements, and that I'm not the best shot lol I've no real complaints so far. Still to play multiplayer, but the idea of 4 chums on a bug hunt ala R6 Vegas terrorist hunt has me very excited.

Comment

At least its slightly encouraging that some of you are getting enjoyment out of this. I think when it gets to bargain basement price i will be more forgiving than if i was to pay full price for it.

Comment

Ok, this game is absolutely terrible. The first alien you meet runs away from you then faces the wall while you shoot it in the back. That pretty much sums up the game really.

Comment

I was expecting something utterly garbage when I played it, so I don't know if it's because my expectations were so low or that it just really isn't THAT bad and people are saying it's worse than it is because of the bullshots/ lying demo videos. But I found some enjoyment in it. It's average. There's some terrible AI/ Graphics in places (I noticed a rock popping through the side of the elevator in one part, that's something even someone doing their first time animating/modelling something would notice, yet it's left here, in a supposedly professional product), but it all works decently enough.

I played it through on the hardest difficulty and apart from a few spots it was really easy. I would have probably gave it a 5.5 if you don't care about aliens, or a 6 if you do just because some parts of it are quite cool, like the sewers level (apart from the terrible animation), which showed what the game could have been in terms of suspense/tension, because as it stands they just give you every gun available and throw aliens at you, which is why I think it's average.

I rented it though. If I'd paid for it, I might have been more harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                        Ok, this game is absolutely terrible. The first alien you meet runs away from you then faces the wall while you shoot it in the back. That pretty much sums up the game really.
                        Thats certainly right up there with the quality of your usual reviews....did you manage to kill the first alien before you turned it off?

I am 6 hours into the campaign now and loving it. Upgraded most of the weapons now and auto turrets are becoming more frequent. The aliens are now coming in packs (i had 6 charging at me in a open valley area) and i have discovered loads of the marines lost weapons. Sitting around rank 21 so some tasty unlocks still to go. Starting to have new varieties coming into play now too. Nothing a shotgun with a fast reload mod and explosive shells cant handle :-) Its feels very doom 3 in places too.

The ps3 uncompressed audio is stunning; i love the weapon sounds and touches such as your armor being destroyed.

A soild 7 from me, but a bit more polish and tlc and it could have been a 9

Comment

Glad to hear a few of you are enjoying it. Watching the video reviews it looks average & the AI looks pretty ropey which really is inexcusable given the length of development. That said I'm a big Aliens fan and the fact the campaign is short I think it might end up being on my rental list when the price drops substantially... I am guessing that won't be too long.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                            Thats certainly right up there with the quality of your usual reviews....did you manage to kill the first alien before you turned it off?

I am 6 hours into the campaign now and loving it. Upgraded most of the weapons now and auto turrets are becoming more frequent. The aliens are now coming in packs (i had 6 charging at me in a open valley area) and i have discovered loads of the marines lost weapons. Sitting around rank 21 so some tasty unlocks still to go. Starting to have new varieties coming into play now too. Nothing a shotgun with a fast reload mod and explosive shells cant handle :-) Its feels very doom 3 in places too.

The ps3 uncompressed audio is stunning; i love the weapon sounds and touches such as your armor being destroyed.

A soild 7 from me, but a bit more polish and tlc and it could have been a 9

Umm. I completed the game. Hence "sums up the rest of the game". And if you think that's anything like my usual description of games then you take as much notice of them as you did of that one sentence I wrote in this thread.

The game is atrocious.

The graphics are terrible, the textures are barley existant, nothing has any detail too it. Grenade explosions look like fire crackers. Lighting effects, which are a massive thing in these types of games are also barley existant. Character models don't seem to have any facial expressions at all. It looks like its a 10 year old game, and even 10 years ago we would be complaining about the lack of effort put into it.

As mentioned in my one sentence the A.I. Is incredibly poor. Theses aren't the smart aliens from the films, they are ones that run up to you then spin around in circles while you shoot them.

Everything about the game feels rushed, everytime some kind of scripted set peice happens there always appears to be several frames of animation missing, which not only kills the moment but makes you go "eh?".

The combat is boring, not only becuase the A.I. Is rubbish but becuase there are only a hand full of weapons in the game (unless you count the variations) and none are any fun to use. Sure the pulse rifle sounds like its from Aliens, but that doesn't help to make it fun to kill things with.

The upgrade system is pointless and even on the hardest difficulty you can complete the game with your eyes closed. Also the motion tracker is pointless, you simply never need it. In fact I never bothered with it after the first 20 minutes.

Also the audio is not "stunning". As I mentioned it takes loads of cues from the film, which is kinda cool, but then a lot of other Aliens games have done that before, and in fact Most of the Audio from this game seems to have been copied and pasted from the PS1 version of alien trilogy, only the audio is not even implemented as well as in that game. A lot of the time the game has no atmosphere and the poor use of audio is one of the big reasons why. The developers seemingly had no clue how to create a tension filled sequence, they constantly make basic errors.

The people who are enjoying this must have never played one of the better Alien games, like the original AvP and AvP 2 on the PC. Becuase if they had they would know what a shambling disappointment and backwards peice of work this game is.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 18-02-2013, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                              Umm. I completed the game. Hence "sums up the rest of the game". And if you think that's anything like my usual description of games then you take as much notice of them as you did of that one sentence I wrote in this thread.

The game is atrocious.

The graphics are terrible, the textures are barley existant, nothing has any detail too it. Grenade explosions look like fire crackers. Lighting effects, which are a massive thing in these types of games are barley existant. Character models don't seem to have any facial expressions at all. It looks like its a 10 year old game, and even 10 years ago we would be complaining about the lack of effort put I into it.

As mentioned in my one sentence the A.I. Is incredibly poor. Theses aren't the smart aliens from the films, they are ones that run up to you then spin around in circles while you shoot them.

Everything about the game feels rushed, everytime some kind of set peice happens there always appears to be several frames of animation mission, which no only kills the moment but makes you go "eh?".

The combat is boring, not only becuase the A.I. Is rubbish but becuase there are only a hand full of weapons in the game and none are any fun to use. Sure the pulse rifle sounds like its from Aliens, but that doesn't help to make it fun to kill things with.

Also the audio is not "stunning". As I mentioned it takes loads of cues from the film, which is kinda cool, but then a lot of other Aliens games have done that before, and in fact Most of the Audio from this game seems to have been copied and pasted from the PS1 version of alien trilogy, only the audio is not even implemented as well as in that game. A lot of the time the game has no atmosphere and the poor use of audio is one of the big reasons why. The developers seemingly had no clue how to create a tension filmed sequence, they constantly make basic errors.

The people who are enjoying this must have never played one of the better Alien games, like the original AvP and AvP 2 on the PC. Becuase if they had they would know what a shambling disappointment and backwards peice of work this game is.
                              You are obviously playing a different game to me, or maybe you have been sold the pre-beta version? Called it atrocious is pure trolling, because at its worst, its a highly playable fps. There are plently of weapons in it, (its the alien universe, not borderlands).

I have seen some excellent lighting in the game too and whilst not halo 4, the graphics are fine

The audio is stunning; comparing it to the ps1 version is silly; what brand of lossless encoding amp and speakers are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X