Goat Up 2 (iOS) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goat Up 2 (iOS) review

Llamasaoft's latest just hit the AppStore and it's a blast. Given the protacted development period (going on for 6 or more entire months!) when compared to the previous breakneck release windows of Llamasoft games on iOS (every 8 weeks), this is probably his smartphone/tab equivalent of Ocarina of Time. Only this is the better game.

It's a sequel to their first ever platformer Goat Up, an endless vertical climber. Here the platforming is more Rainbow Islands crossed with Manic Miner/49er, but with Minter's superbly fluid and effective touch-screen controls. I think Apple should employ him as a consultant to other devs to show them how it's done properly.

Anyway, game involves moving your goat around levels hunting for the exit, nibbling grass to stay alive, while collecting objects that give you ability to fart. Farting allows you to do a double jump to get to otherwise unaccessible areas, and it also serves as your attack (you have to do a mid-air turnaround to point your bottom at the enemies). There's a lot of thought and complexity in these levels, which start off already quite fiendish (80 in all), as well as in the various power-ups and level-furniture and status changers (e.g., Vindaloo gives unlimited farting), gravity switches, teleports, etc. Also includes water! Minter does real-world physics! Sprites and artwork are Minter's trademark ripped-off jobbies, while sounds are the usual discordant melange of everything and the kitchen sink.

Also included is a level editor and sharing option that I've only glanced at but which looks simple yet comprehensive, and clearly better than Little Big Planet.

Jeff and Giles have clearly poured a lot of effort, thought and polish into this, and it tells. It's clearly leagues ahead of some of the more slight 'Minotaur Project' iOS/Android offerings, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

?2.49. "Less than the price of a pint", as the hairy one says.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Played further into this now and I'm increasingly amazed at the cleverness of level design and item/goat placement. Goats give you score multipliers but they can be farted away just like any other item you pick-up, so there's real incentive to find optimum routes through the levels that allow you to keep you little goat-multipliers in train behind you. Combined with the time-clock ticking down your end-of-level bonus it makes for a really tightly-designed game. I think Llamasoft have pretty much cracked platformers at only their 2nd try. Still don't quite understand how they keep getting away with all their pinched IP/sprites/samples, though: there's a barrel-chucking Donkey Kong in Level three, for example.

Comment

8/10 from EDGE: http://www.edge-online.com/review/goatup-2-review/

I'm renewing my subscription / chortle

Comment

This is an excellent and potentially classic game that everyone should play. I've finished Tomb Raider, I've finished Bioshock: Infinite, but I'm still playing this. I imagine I'll be playing it on and off for years to come.

Best llamasoft game since Iridis Alpha IMO. Buy now!

Comment

Wish he'd put them out on PC, so we could have joypad support

Comment

He's working on an update of Tempest 2000 now. For PSVita. Called TxK. Mentalist.
            Last edited by Golgo; 11-04-2013, 18:08. Reason: Or maybe not a mentalist: maybe this will save the Vita...

Comment

Oh yes indeed! People mocked me when I bought the Jaguar. But T2K insured I had the last laugh. Stunning.

'television is the retina of the mind's eye'

Comment

Strange though that he's reverting now to the Vita, which - for all it's genuine qualities - isn't exactly in the ascendent hardware-wise.

Comment

Like the Jaguar, it needs only one game. And that game is... P4 Golden.

Anyway he's always championed underdogs. Nuon And Jaguar for a start.

Comment

I'd prefer to see a full on 3DS TxK to be honest. But that's probably only because I've got one of those.
                    Last edited by Golgo; 12-04-2013, 07:52.

Comment

It's made out the vita has no decent games. I welcome anyone to come round and look at my Vita's over-priced memory card.

I have a 3ds also. But I'd rather see it running on the Vita's mighty screen. Given the choice.

Plus I think Sony are more understanding of indie devs.

Comment

I've been playing grid runner on my nexus 7. As usual a lack of proper controls ruin the experience. Tempest on Vita sounds amazing!

Comment

^ I don't disagree. But if it tanks on Vita nine months from now Yak is going to be screaming blue murder all over the internet about people not understanding his genius and threatening to throw in the towel again.
                          Last edited by Golgo; 12-04-2013, 07:51.

Comment

@ FSW

Couldn't agree more, on both counts

Comment

also, I love Space Giraffe

Comment

Working...
                              X