Soul Sacrifice (PSVita) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul Sacrifice (PSVita) review

Thought I'd post up a review of Soul Sacrifice based on the demo, since it contains a good portion of the game which is out later this week. There are a lot of parallels between this and Monster Hunter, but it's different enough to potentially draw in anyone put off the former. Best way to think of this is MH with less complex grinding that takes you straight to the action.

The game takes place with you in prison to a mad sorcerer, Magusar, awaiting your death. A strange animated book comes to you in your time of need and promises that reading it's contents may present a way out of your predicament. This is actually presented quite well, each quest is a relieving of the book's tale with some background narrated before and after. The story and it's lore are compelling enough to make the single player worth engaging with so far.

To kick off the main difference between Soul Sacrifice and Monster Hunter is combat. Fighting in SS makes use of spells generated by sacrificing offerings, upto six which are bound to square, triangle and circle with R shoulder to switch between two sets. Key point is offerings are picked before a quest after which you're stuck with them till the mission ends. They have a limited number of uses so choose wisely. To use a spell just hit the relevant button, there's a variety to choose from with a range of uses and effects. Broadly they break down into offensive, defensive and healing types with varying attributes. Use one up and you'll need to recharge it before it breaks which leads to...

Sacrifice. The name of the game. Every enemy killed can be saved or sacrificed by holding down the relevant shoulder button next to a defeated enemy. Saving creatures, in the long term levels up your holy side increasing your defense but not your HP, during a quest it recovers some health. Sacrificing creatures, levels your Devil side, this increases your attack in the long term, but also renews your offerings while on a quest. The trick is to strike a balance that works for your play-style, Holy tends towards tanking and support, Devil towards offense with all out Devil being a bit of a glass cannon.

The grind in SS orientates around your spells and arm sigils, which boost your attributes. Each quest has a number of offerings available as rewards upon completion. Quests are scored, resulting in a rank from lowest Third Rate Sorcerer up to Legendary Sorcerer. A high rank score increases your chance of getting the best offerings. Offerings can then be either leveled up by combining identical items repeatedly or new offerings can be created by fusing together those in your inventory. Sigils are written on your arm by drawing upon essences collected from saving or sacrificing creatures and shards found out in the field. This is where you'll be returning to quests, to collect spells, shards and essences.

There's further depth behind the spells, elements inflict different ailments. These can lead to powerful combo's. So for example a frozen enemy can be struck with lightning for immense damage. There are also Black Rites, only one may be equipped at a time, they become available on a quest once criteria are met and result in a huge amount of damage but at a price. Your first forbidden spell will halve your defense, not just during the quest you are on, but every quest after until the effect is removed.

Allies can be recruited to your cause as the game goes on each with their own holy/devil bias and preferred offerings, the AI won't blow you away but they are useful enough to justify taking them on the tougher quests. They can also be saved / sacrificed when killed. Saving them keeps them in the game, sacrificing them unleashes a stupidly powerful spell at the cost of losing an ally. Even though the game states they are lost, the recurring theme of the book is that it can be rewritten, dead allies, curses from the Forbidden Spells and broken offerings can be renewed using Lacrima tears that the book itself dishes out on a regular basis.

Multiplayer is unlocked after the first chapter is complete, this is deliberate as you'll need the offerings and experience to stay alive long enough against the tougher enemies and avoid being berated by the rest of your team. Overall it works well enough, even if the structure is a little bare bones. Players jump straight into a lobby where they can choose their loadouts and send short messages to each other before the quest begins. Gameplay is much the same with downed players able to be either sacrificed or saved, and you will want to sacrifice members of your team. Using sacrifices and Black Rites at the right time is key to taking down the Archfiends faster and achieving a better score.

All in all it plays really well. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Monster Hunter derivative with plenty of unique points differentiate between the two. The game looks great on the Vita and the music is appropriately dramatic for the creatures you face. I've found the demo quite compelling so far, enough to spend a good 10 hours on it if not more.

So that's Soul Sacrifice, the demo is worth a download if you're interested in this type of game, even if MH didn't take your fancy. You can take your progress from the demo into the full game which is an added incentive to give it a go.

Can anyone link me to a guide for this game as I really don't get this game. Really don't understand it.

Comment

There's a wiki here, but it's quite recent:

What are you stuck on buddy?

Comment

Best methods of play really. What spells I should I use, should I sacrifice or save. I'm not seeing any benefits yet from either. Spells running out too.

Comment

With spells you'll find that it's best to swap skills according to the situation. If you hit R on the offering page you can save your current palette to one of 50 slots. Try to create palettes around particular elements for bosses, so for the Harpy you want mostly fire spells. I always aim to have at least one close combat, one ranged and one healing spell. The rest just pick according to what you're comfortable with. So for example against Harpy I have:

Firetree root, Imp pitchfork, Soldiers ember (all fire)
          Healing bloom, Irondrake Egg, Snow tree root (healing, neutral, ice)

Reason for having ice in there is fire will eventually apply that effect to prone enemies, using ice then causes a lot of damage. Elements basically work like paper, scissors, stone.

Lightning > Ice > Fire > Venom > Stone > Lightning

If an opponent is biased towards one element, use the one that beats it. Keep hitting an enemy with one element, say fire, then treat it as an enemy of that element to create a combo, hit it with ice, and do high damage.

As for running out of spells. You have two ways to replenish in battle, sacrifice enemies or find renewal points in the area. To find renewal points, push down to activate minds eye and look for white highlights, these points won't change between maps. The strategy of the game is how you approach each fight and maintain your number of offerings.

The sacrifice system takes a while to come into effect, it all boils down to how you want to play. If you are confident avoiding attacks, want to go on the offense and maximise the damage of each spell, sacrifice more to rise your devil level. This will bias your game to offense, the sigils for your arm and their bonus effects will favour offense. Likewise if you want to tank, support other players and generally have higher defense, save more enemies than you sacrifice and raise holy side.

Comment

I've been playing quite a lot of this (I got it early), but am quite enjoying playing online now. Anyone up for some MP sessions?

If MH would've been half as accessible as this I think I'd have lost myself to it.

Comment

Yeah I'm up for MP. Only finished Avalon I and should be on most evenings this week. PSN ID is PerfectSmith.

Comment

Is the single player good in this or is it only worth bothering with in multiplayer ?

Comment

Similar to Monster Hunter, the story mode and multi are identical aside from the wrappings. The story won't blow your socks off, but it's narration in book format is quite interesting and there's much more there than in Mo Hun. I enjoyed it, sets up encounter with the end boss well enough and was compelling enough to want to see how it panned out.

Comment

I've been grinding this quite hard the past few days, currently sitting at 40/40 (so now I have all black rites) and now going to focus more on the dark side of things. I like it a lot.

Comment

So, Eurogamer have a small flash ad for PSN at the top of their main page and it says, quite clearly, that Soul Sacrifice is ?19.99. When you click it you're taken to a page with various games on it but Soul Sacrifice is suddenly ?29.99.

e Tweet and emailed Sony but had no reply. The ad is still up so I feel they should honour the price.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        So, Eurogamer have a small flash ad for PSN at the top of their main page and it says, quite clearly, that Soul Sacrifice is ?19.99. When you click it you're taken to a page with various games on it but Soul Sacrifice is suddenly ?29.99.

e Tweet and emailed Sony but had no reply. The ad is still up so I feel they should honour the price.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
                          Wha? Don't get it.

Comment

I'm keen to pick up a couple of copies of this for coop, but I've read that you need to beat the first 6 levels to unlock the multiplayer mode. Can someone please tell me how long it takes to do this?

Thanks.

Comment

Not very long - in fact, if you download the demo, you can do them on there, and then copy your save over to the full game once you get it so you're ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X