Game & Wario [WiiU] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game & Wario [WiiU] review

The game started with the wrong pace due to its lack of manual...or better, it has a manual on how to access the electronica version of the game manual. I could go on for quite some time ranting about manuals, so let's skip to the game.

I've never been constant in following Wario's minigame collections, but I played a lot of Warioware Inc (GC, along with other friends) and Touched (DS); never particularly enjoyed Smooth Moves, even in multiplayer. Enter the WiiU and the minigame collection turns into a 12 single-player game collection with just one of those featuring a small selection of old/rehashed minigames. Weird. Games in this iteration are more similar to NintendoLand than anything else, and a couple of them seem completely ripped off the WiiU's launch game: launching arrows at incoming enemies and steering Jimmy T. along a sky slope with the pad held vertically are among the most basic uses of the console's hardware and come across as completely uninventive. Most of the single player games do not fare excessively well.
    Here's a brief breakdown:
    Arrow is the first game. Launch arrows at incoming enemies by tapping on the touchscreen. It's as riveting as it sounds.
    Shutter is one of the most interesting, but nothing new if you've played Lego undercover. as Mona, the pad turns into a camera and you hav eto take photos of five targets; photos are judged in target's size, facing the camera or not and so on.
    Ski is the aforementioned ski-down-the-slope game.
    Patchwork, starrying Kat & Ana has the player match cloth patches to reproduce an object. The problem is that patches are the same every time, and once one of the 90 puzzles have been solved, there's no need to get back and aim for a better time. There is just ONE MUSIC LOOP THAT GOES ON FOR ALL 90 PUZZLES.
    Kung Fu...has a guy jumping around collecting food. Graphics recall heavily Okami, but that's the most interesting part of this one.
    Gamer is one of the most interesting. In the primary mode, you play as 9-Volt playing a minigame collection on his handheld console. At night. When his mother told him to sleep. The minigames are displayed on the pad, the TV shows 9-Volt's room that will be checked from time to time by his mother...by appearing through the television, if necessary. When mom appears, you press ZL and ZR to hide but the more you stay hidden the more sleepy 9-Volt gets.
    There's also a secondary mode where you play as 18-Volt playing the same minigames, and this is Game & Wario closest tie to other Warioware games.
    Design has the player drawing lines and shapes by following Crygor's directions, like a 2.5 in. line, or a circle of a certain diameter. Boring? Yes.
    Ashley stars Ashley (...) that must escape Sweets Lands by riding her flying broom to safety. The pad is used to steer her and collect purple dots to increase her magic power. She'll automatically shoot down incoming cookies and at the end of the stage there will be a boss. While interesting, it's very basic and only three stages are provided.
    Taxi has Dribble and Spitz saving animals from UFO snathcers. Drive their taxy around, when near an UFO, begin firing with Spitz's bazooka. Save the animal, bring it back to the farmer. Boring? Yeah.
    Captain Wario is probably the best of the bunch, and kinda reminiscent of Rhythm Heaven. The pad acts as a shield, which is used to protect the player from suction arrows fired from four pirate ships. Arrows must be blocked by physically moving the pad around and after all salvoes are gone, it's time to mimick Wario's dance moves before firing at him.
    Bowling. Yeah.
    Bird is the local reincarnation of Pyoro.

Of all these games, I'd say that just three are enjoyable (Shutter, Captain Wario, Gamer), with the rest being downright boring. But every game here hardly fits in the usual Warioware stuff, the level of wackyness (one of the main selling points, if you ask me) has been toned down a lot and it's present in just part of the graphical presentation and in the game's credits. The use of the pad is very basic at best and rather than a huge, fast-paced collection of bite-sized games, Game & Wario is a small, slow collection of boring games that barely show any hint of creativity.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Sounds woeful, thanks for the write up though, reviews for this seem very varied, from 4/10 up to about 7/10 for some reason, will wait for it to hit ?15 before the year is out.

Comment

The reviews for this have been awful.

Shame as i was looking forward to it. Will save my money for Pikmin 3

Comment

I'll be trading mine in before the week is out.
        The most fun I've had is Bird, as playing it on the gamepad is set up to be like and LCD game of old.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
          I'll be trading mine in before the week is out.
          The most fun I've had is Bird, as playing it on the gamepad is set up to be like and LCD game of old.
          It's probably one of the most boring Pyoro interpretations though. The one in Touched is far better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole View Post
            The reviews for this have been awful.

Shame as i was looking forward to it. Will save my money for Pikmin 3
            A decent review of the game at Kotaku.

Comment

Finally chucked this in last night as we (3 peeps) wanted something simple but fun to play, that didn't require me looking high and low for controllers. I know the general consensus is that the game is tripe, but we had fun! The game with the tower thing isn't great, but the blatant pictionary clone actually makes for good times provided you're in the right crowd. Quite enjoyed the thief/agent game too. The games in Nintendoland are probably better, but hey, this is maybe worth grabbing for cheap if you can go in with the right expectations.

Comment

Working...
              X