Pikmin 3 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pikmin 3 review

I'm assuming because of the database issue, the original thread seems to have disappeared.

However, the game won me over. I finished it today on Day 39 at 10hrs 30m. The handful of areas in it are well thought out, only the final boss level to me felt like a decline, not living up to the rest of the game as it forces you to rush more which puts you more at the mercy of the slightly dodgy path finding and close camera.

Overall though good stuff, roll on Wonderful 101
    1 - Compost Fodder
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - The Darling Buds of Koppai
    0%

This is my first Pikmin title and am loving it, just right level of exploring/thinking required. For me anyway. Taking it all nice and slow now I know I have 99 days to finish it in.
    Not read the online manual, but should I be worried that I'm down to about four Rock Pikmin after defeating the (early enemy spoiler)

giant worm thing in the cave

Also does it make a difference what colour Pikmin kill an enemy/plant or retrieve the subsequent reward?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
      This is my first Pikmin title and am loving it, just right level of exploring/thinking required. For me anyway. Taking it all nice and slow now I know I have 99 days to finish it in.
      Not read the online manual, but should I be worried that I'm down to about four Rock Pikmin after defeating the (early enemy spoiler)

giant worm thing in the cave

Also does it make a difference what colour Pikmin kill an enemy/plant or retrieve the subsequent reward?

Thanks,
      Don't worry about not having many rock Pikmin as you progress you are able to trade in pikmin for ones of a different colour using a certain flower. These flowers are quite frequent. Also plenty of chances to harvest new rock pikmin

Comment

Ten hours??! Did you get all the fruit and secret memos??? I'm already on 17hours

Been spending a lot of time just chilling, collecting pikmin. I'm on the last stretch now but don't want to finish. Will start a new playthrough straight away focusing on a more refined play.

Absolutely love the challenge modes, very addictive...

The mole.... If you use the same colour pikmin as the pellets you get more sprouts. Also when carrying enemies back to the onion the colour pikmin that are the majority will determine which pikmin are increased.
        Love the pink pikmin! It's funny watching another colour carrying an item, only for the pink pikmin to take over. When the item rises to the air the other pikmin try to hold on! It's adorable - love little touches like that

Roll on DLC!
        Last edited by Adam Stone; 31-07-2013, 18:29.
        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Personally finding it a bit of chore to play so far, admittedly I'm not far about 3 hours or so... It's not grabbing me though. It has some really nice effects here and there but some dodgy textures too.

Also I'm finding that the Wii U gamepad seems to lack precision, not sure why they couldn't just adopt a more comfortable dual analogue control method... It's just a bit meh, to me overall - though I must fight through it I'm sure it'll click at some point...?

Comment

I definitely recommend using the Wii remote if you can

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
              I am playing with the gamepad and am managing just fine.

I was close to giving the game an 8 but its been a while where i have been so engrossed in a game that i lose track of time. That really meant for me i had to give it the 9. The length is not an issue as i have it on rental. Once im done it will go back, just in time for The Wonderful 101

Comment

Ah I get it.... My time is total play, including challenge mode.

Just beat story mode, took me 9:48, which surprises me! Thought I took longer

Now to ace those challenges and start a new playthrough

As for controls.... Gamepad works fine however remote offers a great deal more freedom. Worth a try if you haven't but great to hear gamepad does the trick for you.
                I personally love how the pad is used. It's definitely more than just a map, in the challenge modes it's vital to chip away at those high scores
                Last edited by Adam Stone; 31-07-2013, 20:48.

Comment

Yeah, I keep hearing it's the best way to play - but it feels like quite an oversight. I want to use the Wii U control method not the last console's controls... I don't know, right now I'd rather just play Castlevania 64...

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole View Post
                    I am playing with the gamepad and am managing just fine.

I was close to giving the game an 8 but its been a while where i have been so engrossed in a game that i lose track of time. That really meant for me i had to give it the 9. The length is not an issue as i have it on rental. Once im done it will go back, just in time for The Wonderful 101
                    Who do you use to rent now Lovefilm has buggered off?

Comment

Ended up with about 43/66 fruit and about half the secret memo's, mostly played it via Pro Controller too which worked a treat. Clock wise it feels short but if it had been a longer game I suspect I'd have started getting bored of it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext
                        I'm assuming because of the database issue, the original thread seems to have disappeared.

However, the game won me over. I finished it today on Day 39 at 10hrs 30m. The handful of areas in it are well thought out, only the final boss level to me felt like a decline, not living up to the rest of the game as it forces you to rush more which puts you more at the mercy of the slightly dodgy path finding and close camera.

Overall though good stuff, roll on Wonderful 101
                        So it's quite a lot shorter than Pikmin 2 then? I'm well over 15 hour in Pikmin 2 doing the extra story at the end (can't really remember in detail as it was a while ago). But the sub-levels got quite hard and I never really went back to it.

I think the length of Pikmin 1 was about right so if this is around 10 hours I'll be happy.

Really pleased with this, I thought a 3rd game might go stale but it still feels fresh even though it kind of plays like the first games in terms of how they teach you everything again from the ground up to cater for the new player.

It looks fantastic in HD well done Nintendo.

Is it wrong that I keep restarting a game day again when I kill too many Pikmin? It's as if I get too attached to them to let them die instead of spending an extra game day making more Pikmin to replace the dead ones.
                        Last edited by MarioMark; 31-07-2013, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                          Yeah, I keep hearing it's the best way to play - but it feels like quite an oversight. I want to use the Wii U control method not the last console's controls...
                          This is why I completely disregarded the PS2 and PS3.

If you don't want to use the last console's controls for fear of shattering your elbows at the cost of a potentially improved experience based on majority opinion, then simply don't. No one has a gun to your head.

Perhaps Nintendo should give people LESS control options; maybe that would be better, and less of an "oversight".
                          Last edited by dataDave; 01-08-2013, 03:32.

Comment

Ah I get it.... My time is total play, including challenge mode.

Just beat story mode, took me 9:48, which surprises me! Thought I took longer
                            I think this doesn't include any days you may have replayed either.
                            Thanks for the info replies to my questions Mole and Adam.

Comment

I am finding the fruit finding a struggle, I seem to always be low on juice

Comment

Working...
                              X