No announcement yet.

1080 Gamecube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I managed a x13 combo at 99450 with the filps. I'll keep trying. That skeleton keeps beating me on matchrace too

Comment

you need to learn some of the killer shortcuts on that last match race...I learnt loads of shortcuts on that track by trying to get all the coins in it in Time Trial---it took me about 10 goes to get my route right, mind.

Dunno if I can beat my score though....I'll have to think for ages to plan a strategy. Any further insight on which tricks are fastest to pull off Marklar?

Comment

Nah man, sorry... I must've played it for a couple hours or so when I tried that Air Make stuff. Crap, restart, whoa, restart... huh? restart... Y certainly seems to be the fastest grab no matter which direction but it seems to score less in a combo; I guess it is less technical than L/R+B/X. Hmm...

I kind haven't had the energy to play it since then (Air Make, that is - I've been playing the flag challenge). Gonna have another go on the weekend

Regarding secret character races; I found staying across the top of the map is pretty fast, although I don't think it is the fastest route through the course but it'll put you ahead of who ever it is you're racing. Then, just grind the trees in the last half of the course. There is a lot of air to be got over the top, building your power meter up so you can play dirty when you get to their level *ahem*.

Oh! My Car!'s suggestion is the better one though; get time trailing for the coins and you'll soon find you can do it almost flawlessly.

Comment

Cheers guys. I've completed the time trial for that course a few days ago so when I got back to it I was kinda taken aback by that skeleton - very fast. I'll go back to time trials and learn the course better, going the top route didn't seem to do much (must have been going slower to make sure I didn't fall or something), I think my problem is the area with the tree grinding though.

Comment

'L' grinds onto stuff if you miss it slightly, taking some of the work out of that pixel-perfect line up. Other than that, it's just practice

Comment

I find that starting on the middle gets you a pretty good start. He'll no doubt take the same line and both of you will end up in the tunnel. Of course having fully powered up going into it can mean the difference between an easy victory and loosing by a second. Very, very satisfying when you coast to victory after loosing to old Skelly for half a day.

Comment

Aye, that's a good tactic - probably best to 'jump' and do a trick off the start line rather than have a quick start maybe (a flip works well)...

...also, towards the end when it opens up, the ground gets a bit bumpy - guarenteed the other racer will "jump" the first bit to either clear it or hit the bump on the down slope to avoid bouncing and losing speed. You should do the same 8)

Comment

Alright, you could say I copped out here but I managed to complete all of gate challange and got the NST 1080-A board. Ahem, I used this board for the matchrace against Bones Haywood and thrashed him soundly, and the avalanche final too. Got Bones for it though

Comment

yeah...I'm surprised it actually lets you win with that-I thought it would disqualify you, like in time trial 8)

Comment

Fantastic game, collected it on Friday and have been playing it pretty much non-stop since.

Of the three snowboarding titles I'd have to say my preference lies with SSX 3. It has a huge scope which is very nearly really well implemented, with well made racing and tricks modes (for those that don't need the realism), its also big, bold and flashy and just so full of character as well as easy to just get on and play.

1080 reigns racing wise, even though its a tad slim on the tricks aspect that doesn't concern me since the racing is sublime which is what I bought the game for. Each track gave me a real buzz first time round and the blur effect that kicks in at top speeds really emphasises the speed aspect. But, I can't shake the feeling that I'll get fed up with it, not because the game is bad in any shape or form, but because I'll have done everything there is to do soon. However for the time being the title is simply oozes 8)

And Amped 2? A big fat meh, I can appreciate how deep it is and how well designed the game is. It just doesn't grip me, the game has this look and feel to it as well which all MS games seem to have. Its like MS have a template for games design which they plucked Midtown Madness and Amped from which just looks, bland. When I first played Amped 2 it immeditely reminded me of MM3 which was weird. And the soundtrack "300 new indie songs"!!!!!!!

....... which are all ****e (except that Fingers Eleven track which also appears on 1080 ) I'll be singing the tracks from SSX 3 whilst sliding down a beautiful untracked pass, humming 1080's tunes whilst blitzing full speed away from an avalanche and digging out a decent record to play after I've fallen flat on my arse fro the upteenth time in Amped.

Oops bit of a rant there.

Anyyywayyy digressions aside, since as has been mentioned, the focus for most racing games is replaying to improve times. Is it worth me starting a times / scores thread for this? I know someone else is probably planning on doing it, but I'm getting tetchy waiting for some race times to challenge

Anyone interested?

Comment

Aye, I'm interested... I've got times on all of the courses (IIRC), after playing them a couple of times so it should be a good starting point, yea?

I'll jot them all down later and post something over there, mmmkay?

Comment

Hurry up then

Comment

Done! Get to it

Comment

yey! A big challenge thread....now where's that one from the original gone?

oh--->
                              Originally posted by charlesr
                              Here's the ntsc-uk challenge thread for the original 1080, so when the new one's out, post in that and I'll convert it to the 1080A times thread.

Comment

pfft! if you don't want my scoreboard thread then FINE!! *sulk*

Comment

Working...
                                X