• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small b or capital B?

Comment

Small b.

Comment

For US/JAP Cube owners version 1.04 is the way to go. Afaik it?s the only one that plays Mario Kart. I guess it?s the same with 1080?.

Comment

Sorry about that. It seems to work now. The first few times I tried it, it asked me if I wanted to use 60Hz or 50Hz. I tried 60Hz a few times and it didnt work. I just tried 50Hz and it did work. I rebooted and tried again ready to choose 60Hz just in case, but it never appeared and just went straight to the game. The game is running in 60Hz mode now.
          Weird stuff. I'm off to play now!

Comment

15 minutes later and 4 crashes, I'm fed up. I presume it's a problem caused by FL, but after I've chosen my rider and board, it then loads the level (very fast - only 5 seconds or so) and says "press start". Most of the time when I press start, it freezes and just plays the music and doesn't load the level. After a few reboots and retries, it worked and I had a go.

The L trigger corresponds to the old Z trigger on the N64 in that you have to hold it down to go faster. Unfortunately, you have to hold it all the way down until the digital clik at the end of the travel is engaged, which is a pain. With L pressed your cornering ability is severely compromised, but letting it go let's you do a nice carve, but you slow down rapidly as soon as you let go, so when trying to avoid skiers, my opponent just went straight past me by picking a better line through them.

I'm hoping that again it's a FL problem, but the framerate was incredibly varied and jittered all over the place at high speed. Some of the graphics were great and really felt like being on the slopes. Some of the textures would look more at home on a GBA though.

It seems to play very fast, in a similar over the top way to ssx, and landing jumps is very easy (in comparison to the N64 version), although I've only tried the first 3 levels.

I'll have to wait till my US version turns up now, cos the constant crashing was too frustrating.

Comment

Impressions from someon at DVDForums
              But here's the killer folks, the real crippler. The framerate. For a game which was designed exclusively for the Cube, this stinks. This is no lazy port, there were no other versions in development alongside this one. So the only reason I can think for the iffy framerate is that the developers just don't know what they're doing with the hardware. There are no particularly high res textures knocking about anywhere, and its doesn't exactly hurtle along when the framerate is good, but still it suffers.

Now, we're not talking "grind to a halt" bad here, but we are talking drops in framerate noticeable enough to be offputting. I'm playing at 60hz mode, btw, don't know if 50hz might be any better. Sprays of snow seem most capable of hurting the framerate, but drops occur quite often.

All things considered, I won't be keeping it. If you've got ONLY a Cube, then I'd suggest SSX3. Its more fun, runs better, has more personality, and more things to unlock.

If you've got and Xbox also, then check Amped 2 out, which is a more sim-like approach, and might be more to the tastes of some players.

Sadly though, I can't recommend 1080
              This guy is an avid Amped 2 fan though.

Anyone concur or is he talking out of .......?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono

Amped 2 sucks. It's boring as hell, looks rubbish and handles like a dog on stilts with rollerskates attached, covered in Mazola and lit on fire.

1080 is good for its own reasons, though the framerate is a bit noticable in places - less noticable in 50hz mode, but still there. Shame, really... but if you're going to be the type who takes a game back just based on that (as opposed to having fun instead), then more power to you.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                  I'm hoping that again it's a FL problem, but the framerate was incredibly varied and jittered all over the place at high speed. Some of the graphics were great and really felt like being on the slopes. Some of the textures would look more at home on a GBA though.
                  that's a FL problem for sure....my version is clean and fresh as my new shoes, no framerate problems at all, and the textures look fine to me---you guys are just moaning.
                  Quit winging!

Comment

just tell me one thing....does it still "feel" like you're snowboarding in the same way that the original does and ssx and amped dont?

Comment

Originally posted by martTM

Amped 2 sucks. It's boring as hell, looks rubbish and handles like a dog on stilts with rollerskates attached, covered in Mazola and lit on fire.
                      Ye are talking ****e, mon .

Amped 2 is de baddest snowboarding game on the block. I'm really caning it now and some of the combos I can pull off are un-bel-eivable. Plus it looks amazing with a constant frame rate, the trick system is easily the best and the structure is one of then best I've ever seen.

Just coz ure rubbish at it .

Comment

Originally posted by geldra
                        just tell me one thing....does it still "feel" like you're snowboarding in the same way that the original does and ssx and amped dont?
                        yep...it owns

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                          Originally posted by martTM

Ye are talking ****e, mon .

Amped 2 is de baddest snowboarding game on the block. I'm really caning it now and some of the combos I can pull off are un-bel-eivable. Plus it looks amazing with a constant frame rate, the trick system is easily the best and the structure is one of then best I've ever seen.

Just coz ure rubbish at it .
                          I'm kind of warming to amped 2 now. I still dont think it feels as authentic as 1080 and the riders look like they are standing a bit too straight (if that makes any sense) but it is very good. I'm rubbish at it though.

Comment

snowboarding is ****

play mario kart instead :P

think I'll leave any opinions til I've played it. did at least look interesting, when ppl complain about frame rate, is it generally plus or sub 30fps?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                              I'm hoping that again it's a FL problem, but the framerate was incredibly varied and jittered all over the place at high speed.
                              Just played my friend?s copy seems fun but I did notice the jitter now and then. Not that it was a problem.

One thing though the Pal VJ also had some jitter on 60hz but a few times I?ve played it on 50hz and didn?t notice any jitter. So maybe if you play 1080 in 50hz the jitter will go away?.. Just a though I didn?t try it.

Comment

Ala 60hz Halo u reckon then?

Comment

Working...
                                X