Rocksmith 2014 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocksmith 2014 review

I'm not sure how much interest there is in this game here considering the first one had a thread that was about 2 pages long, but anyway....

If you are interested, this is more of the same, only better. Its still the same game, you still use a real guitar to play songs that gradually get harder to play the more you play them, but the main difference now is that the game has been streamlined in such a fashion that makes the whole thing a lot more fun to experience.

You no longer have to tune your guitar before every song, and as a result playing the same song repeatedly is now a much quicker process. Also, the mini games and lessons are integrated a lot better, which makes actually learning to play guitar a much more accessible experience. There are also just many more options for the player now, and I would guess that whatever complaints you had with the first game have been rectified here.

There's also a few added features, such as a fantastic session mode where you can jam with the games very own dynamic backing band. Its just like playing in the garage with your mates, only the game wont complain if you mess up.

The best new features for me though are the songs themselves and this is the biggest area of improvement over the previous game. There are many more recognisable songs than were available in the first game, and they aren't all by the rolling Stones either (though paint it black is there if you need your fix). There's a few heaver tracks this time too for people who thought the first game was a bit too indie, such as Thunder Kiss 65 and Bat Country.

Overall I think this is fantastic and a big improvement over the first game.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

So can I learn to play the guitar with this?

Comment

Yes. The game is designed to teach people how to play the guitar.

It's not quite a perfect all in one teaching kit becuase without information from other scorces you probably won't learn everything you need to know about playing guitar. But It is a fantastic tool to get people into playing guitar, as its a lot more fun than reading guitar tabs off a sheet of paper and studying cord charts.

There are loads of mini games and lessons included and can be tackled in the form of missions that compliment when you're learning to play certain songs.

Basically, if you're interested in learning guitar but have never tried, then this is a very good place to start.

It's also worth noting that this new game is a lot better than the previous version when it comes to experienced players, as well as new ones, as there are a lot more settings to change, and it's now possible to play songs at any difficulty you like from the off as well as the ability to skip over things if you already feel confident with them.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 27-10-2013, 09:30.

Comment

Great stuff, thanks.
        Will pick it up, not sure I can afford the version with the guitar tho!

Comment

Brilliant timing! I was watching the video on YouTube and my wife asked me if I'd like it for Christmas.

I've hit a threshold with my playing and need a bit of a boost and this looks great fun.

As a rock fan, the soundtrack sounds more up my street than the original, but can you access or import those tracks?

Also, this is totally single-player, isn't it? No split-screen or online jamming? No chance of the Official Bordersdown Band forming?

What guitar do you play, rmoxon? You've not been on here for a bit, but a great comeback! I'm going to look into this a bit more.

There's a "100 riffs" video I'll add later.

Comment

You can import the old songs but will have to own the original Rocksmith and buy an import tool to do so. The tool is ?7.99 on the PC, I imagine its the same price on consoles but not sure.

There is multiplayer in the game but obviously you will need two guitars and two cables.

I'm using a Gibson SG 60's tribute to play with. But for people who dont already own a guitar, or need a second one, the game can be purchased with a decent epiphone starter guitar for about ?130 which isn't a bad price at all really.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 27-10-2013, 10:21.

Comment

Not today, I'm feeling... saucy.

I have a lovely Fender Mustang that I plan on using.

I struggle getting a heavy tone with it so would like something with a humbucker and Metal Muff at some point.

Anyway, back on topic, do I have to buy Rocksmith 1 and the import tool?

Any ideas on the best console version? What does Kinect do? Is DLC discounted for PS+ members?

How do I get hold of "Cherub Rock" if I've not pre-ordered?

Comment

I've preordered this but not got it yet due to being away this weekend. I enjoyed the first one and it's a great fun with the bass as a lot of bass tabs on their own don't sound like much. I played the first one using a fretless bass but I fancy a fretted one at some point.

I thought you could play online with someone on the first rocksmith?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Not today, I'm feeling... saucy.

I have a lovely Fender Mustang that I plan on using.

I struggle getting a heavy tone with it so would like something with a humbucker and Metal Muff at some point.

Anyway, back on topic, do I have to buy Rocksmith 1 and the import tool?

Any ideas on the best console version? What does Kinect do? Is DLC discounted for PS+ members?

How do I get hold of "Cherub Rock" if I've not pre-ordered?
                  You need the first game and the import tool to play the original games songs yes.

I don't know what the console version of this is like, I had the 360 version of the first game and it had bad lag when playing the sound through the tv. The only way to fix it was if you plugged a component cable directly from the xbox into a speaker system.

I imagine cherub rock is available on the in game store, but I haven't checked yet.

Comment

Is this you QC?

Comment

Don't be ridiculous!

I don't smoke...

Comment

There is a bug on this at the moment, if you choose not to import your old songs at the beginning then you don't get the option in shop later. Apparently effects ps3 and 360 versions.

Comment

Spent the last couple of hours playing this - it's really very good.

I'm a big fan of the session mode, I spent a good half hour just playing random blues riffs, it's brilliant how the backing adapts to how you're playing.

I've played guitar since I was about 18, but it's kind of taken a back burner for a few years. I used to play every day and I can easily see this bringing me back in to it. The arcade games definitely work to improve technique and the way the songs adapt in difficult to how well you're playing is also impressive.

My fingers are aching now though, so I've had to put the guitar away, but I'll definitely be playing this again tomorrow.

Comment

Good feedback, thanks!

You sound a lot like me and my playing. I need a boost in motivation.

A good sign if your fingers are aching!

Marty, have you mainly been playing songs from The Eurovision?

Comment

Sadly they don't seem to be available on the DLC.

This is what I'm playing on, a Yamaha RGX220

Last edited by MartyG; 21-11-2013, 20:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X