Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies review

No idea why none of you have made a first play for this yet so here it is. I have only just made it through the first case so early days yet but, so far, I'm loving it. It looks gorgeous and I can't think of a better example where 2D drawings have been converted to 3D models while retaining all the charm. It's so rare but the character models and animations are so much fun and have everything the old 2D characters did. So I'm really happy with the look.

The music is orchestral and sounds lovely, although nothing in the first case quite has the punch I remember from the others but often they build later in the game. So far it's good musically though.

The game itself is same old Phoenix Wright. Poke holes in the testimonies. This time the added feature comes from new character Athena Cykes, who can hear (heartbeat) when someone has an emotion that doesn't quite match their words. They don't really give you much of a taste of that in the first case so not sure how good or not that will be. And no investigation in the first case either - I have heard that the investigations are more limits this time around. The characters are strong so far and it's great bringing Apollo Justice into this as it sort of ties the older games together (yes I know they were tied together anyway but they do it well here). Nice little anime cut scenes too.

Dialogue so far is good and better than my memory of the poorer earlier translations (AA2) but not quite as fun and snappy as my memory of the better translations (was it 1 or 3 that was written really well? Can't quite remember). My memory is rusty though.

So far, loving this. I hope it does well so we see more. Whatever happened the Layton crossover? Is that not ever going to make it over here?

Still being worked on as far as I know.

Comment

Only done the first two cases, but it has been bloody lovely so far. The game has been brought into the current generation without losing the charm of the older games. Everything is improved, characters and backgrounds use 3D models instead of sprites, which really makes the game come alive. Sound and music are great too, although I still prefer the music of PW1 and 3 the most.

I am sure there is a lot waiting in store for me, but so far so good!

Comment

Finished case 2 and I'm loving it. The animations are gorgeous, script is good and the cases so far hilariously twisted. My one main gripe is that the investigation stages don't really let you investigate any more. They were always pretty linear but at least you got to examine things. The investigations here are very limited and more just about playing through the conversations.

But the courtroom stuff is awesome. All pretty easy so far but still a lot of fun.

Comment

I reckon the investigating is better than ever.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Bump!
            Finished this a couple of days ago, definitely up there with AA3, and being able to play as different characters in each case was a nice twist on the usual formula I really enjoyed that they kept the charm of the sprites of the old games while using the newer 3D models. Definitely get this if you haven't already!

Comment

Thanks for all the impressions, I enjoyed playing the demo and will pick this up in the new year when I have gone though Zelda and Bravely Default. I was making the foolish mistake of looking for a copy on eBay until I released it was download only! What a plum I am.

Comment

Finished this and the DLC recently. It's ****ing brilliant, and makes me love the series even more than ever. I don't often say this, but I'd love another DLC case! Or a new game, naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Whatever happened the Layton crossover? Is that not ever going to make it over here?
                  Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney has been confirmed for an EU release on March 28th.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Bit of a necrobump now, but thought I'd ask...

Has anyone else found this a bit of a slog?

It's weird, because I don't think there's anything wrong with it - just after 4 prior games, the premise seems to have worn quite thin. I'm about halfway through the case about the Yokai.

Comment

Working...
                      X