No announcement yet.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say mostly the former, hit detection etc seems more forgiving this time. I'm not at all a fan of some control decisions though such as holding R to grab vines etc, not very intuitive for complex platforming and generates frustration faster than fun.

Comment

I did find that i had to get used to the hit zones, I must admit. Additionally, as others have mentioned, there is a wee bit of a learning curve - having to hold R to grab/hold onto vines is definitely odd...

But now i'm getting into the swing of things i'm dying much much less. Even managing some good time-trial scores!

I definitely enjoyed revisiting earlier maps with a fresh appreciation of the game's pacing and mechanics :-)

It's fun playing around with the additional characters - though the differences are subtle, they are enough to make me consider which Kong i favour depending on the level - they come in handy in water areas too :-)

I wish they had ironed out some of the loading problems - there's a great deal of spit and polish elsewhere, yet the loading times and loading hiccups are quite poor - Perhaps i'm just spoilt by Nintendo's almost unyielding high quality bar.

I recommend leaving the characters idle! Some cool little extra details
      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Well I swapped a lot of old stuff and bought this.

Have to say after just one level there is a lot to like. The R button for hold was no issue for me and after the disastrous controls on the Wii for banging the ground (shaking a Wii U controller!) this control method of using Y or X is a million times better. I love the no time limit, so you are not forced to race through making a ton of mistakes. Graphics are lovely and colourful.

Looking to forward to playing more tonight, but so far happy with my purchase.

Forgot to post earlier, I am playing with the Pro Controller. The Wii U Pad is not needed (again)
        Last edited by jim g; 24-02-2014, 13:37. Reason: added text

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse
          Barring another major price drop I'm unlikely to even consider purchasing a Wii U at present, so I wouldn't mind seeing a 3DS port of this at some point, a la DKCR.

Just do it already. If you can pay <?200 with 3D World, it's definitely worth it imo!

Great to read some impressions of this. Is anyone playing coop, and if so how's that going?

Comment

Done with this now, it is better than Returns but the original trilogy and a myriad of Marios or Rayman Origins/Legends are superior platformers. Retro improved on some of the previous games choices, standard controls bring a lot to the table but its nothing worth going out your way for. If Nintendo ever greenlight a DKC6 I really hope they make themselves or try someone new and put Retro on something we'd rather have and they're better suited to like Prime 4

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              Done with this now, it is better than Returns but the original trilogy and a myriad of Marios or Rayman Origins/Legends are superior platformers.
              After a few hours play I am inclined to agree, 7/10 at best. It has a charm but unlike Rayman, there is no WOW for me. Decent game, but my guess is will sell next to nowt. I will still complete it, but not loving it right now.

Next big game for the Wii U is Mario Kart in May (well almost June). If that don't ring the bells with everyone, then the Wii U will remain a niche machine forever.

Comment

Ah wow, I feel totally opposite. It's the first game in quite a while I'm actually excited to get home from work to play (like a big kid!) equally I'm finding I want to explore every corner, every little secret - haven't done that in a game for a while too

In some ways it has an almost adventure-game feel to it - where I'm inclined to explore each screen-full before moving forward - in that sense I like how different it feels to say the 2d Marios or rayman - very different styles of flow.

Tonight will be more k-levels.... Let the rage begin
                ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone View Post
                  Ah wow, I feel totally opposite.
                  You have to remember I am jaded old git (55) and having played DK1,2 3 to death this is why I am little underwhelmed. it is a looker though on he big screen.

Comment

DKC3 was arse-flaps.

Comment

I love this game. Truly worthy of the name.

Comment

DKC3 was fine, it just lacked the polish of the first two due to when it came out but the platforming itself was solid. This has struggled sales wise and being on WiiU makes comparison hard to judge but after Returns I would expect a drop off either way, Retro pitch these at the wrong crowd.

Comment

Really enjoyed this, I found the levels easier than DKC:R but the bosses harder.

Like Crystal Dynamics have with Tomb Raider this is a good example of how a different developer can maintain or even improve a game series. Sega should let Retro Studios do the next Sonic game :/

Comment

I think it's beyond anyone to make a decent modern Sonic.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                              Like Crystal Dynamics have with Tomb Raider this is a good example of how a different developer can maintain or even improve a game series. Sega should let Retro Studios do the next Sonic game :/
                              There's nothing at all wrong with the last few Sonic games tbh . The only people ranting about the Sonic Cycle, are the ones who had too much fun on the Sonic sucks bandwagon, refuse to accept that that wagon broke down years ago never played the current games anyway and that's overlooking, how vastly overrated the 16 bit Sonic games really were .

But like with Call Of Duty, Resident Evil is more cool and fun to be party of the bashing wagon, than actually playing the games in question

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                                They are already having that American studio with ex-Naughty Dog members make the new Sonic game.

Comment

Working...
                                X