No announcement yet.

Earth Defense Force 2025 (360/PS3) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the co-op lobby screen that I was so impressed with.

-At the top is the general room settings (level, limits)
    -On the right-hand column is the list of people in the room, the RM is a the top. You can see the weapons selected, class and various armour levels. I was at 0.50% at the start of the night and climbed to the lofty heights of 1.46% at the end of it.
    -The middle column tells you the level you're on and the limits imposed. I believe this can be switched off when you reach a certain point, either level progress or possibly completion rate. The picture and description are useful because you can see if you're in a tunnel or city and choose your weapons accordingly. Underneath the picture are the 5 squares indicating which difficulties I've completed it on.
    -The left-hand column are all the options at the top, and a little chat window at the bottom for those without headsets. You can see Prinny insulting Katsu for taking an age to get in the lobby and Van Peebles for having the audacity to see his girlfriend instead of playing this...

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
      I was just browsing for a couple of games before bed and saw the Quality Chimp name on the server list. You're the only game I've had online because the rest of the lobbies I've joined have either been in progress or full of American kids.
      I felt a little awkward when some 14-year-old American kid was talking to me about puberty last night. I made my excuses and went to bed. (EDIT: not with the kid)

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
      Did a piss poor job of dealing with those ants with low powered weapons. Did a sterling job of getting in the way of a chopper missile though.
      Ha ha ha! I'd forgotten about that. I thought I was doing you a favour by sending some homing missiles towards the ants turning you into Chompemon, but seeing your body ragdoll through the air proved me wrong!

Comment

[...]seemingly endless waves of ants coming to chew on Deuteros like he was a giant sugarcube.

That happens A LOT and is why I don't leave the house as much as I used to... It's like one of those AXE commercials!

Here's a list of all the weapons in the game, (automatically) translated from japanese. There are LOADS of them! According to Sandlot, "the number of weapons in EDF 2025 surpasses the total of all weapons in the past series (EDF1, EDF2, and EDF3)". It's funny how they completely dismiss EDF: IA...

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          You can see Prinny insulting Katsu for taking an age to get in the lobby and Van Peebles for having the audacity to see his girlfriend instead of playing this...
          Maybe we needed 30 seconds to recover from saving your hide! I notice you missed the mission where I revived the entire team numerous times and stayed alive for longer than you all combined on minimal health for 4 attempts (with both my Power Ranger & low stat JapanManWorkoutSauce ChickDiver) out of this report? I think you're gonna get fammydodded soon bud with this partial reporting

Comment

I thought it went without saying that playing with Katsu (#1 EDF guy), usually entails you being saved multiple times in between him killing the monsters AND Hoovering up all the collectable for everyone!

Comment

How many of those revives were due to Katsu "friendly" fire though?

Fingers crossed my copy is waiting at home...when I finally get to leave work...

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
                How many of those revives were due to Katsu "friendly" fire though?

Fingers crossed my copy is waiting at home...when I finally get to leave work...
                Oops!

Comment

Despite Katsu not believing me, I had a slight glitch with my armour settings as it wasn't going up despite hoovering up lots of drops.

In the game lobby, there's a specific Armour setting in the Class/Equipment section.
                  You can either set it to automatically update (rises and drops to the max level in relation to the mission/difficulty selected) or manually configure the value.

Mine was set to automatic but never went above 200. Changed it to manual, then back to automatic and my armour jumped up to nearly 600!

That probably would have come in handy with the level where a load of Hectors kept attacking. Then ants. Then ants and spiders. Then flying drones which meant you couldn't call in new vehicle drops or bombing runs. Then MORE Hectors!

Good times with Katsu, and Robster last night. It was fun replaying the initial bunch of levels using the weapons I'd subsequently picked up.

Other musings:
                  The city is really great. I should have been assisting in the tunnels, but I was milling around the shopping mall looking at the designs. There were shops selling suits, shirts, smoothies, sushi and so on. Each one had its own unique posters and prices. There is repetition, but you have to look for it. In the cities, squeezing between the buildings whilst waiting for weapons to reload out of sight of enemies, I noticed flyposters on some walls.

It's easy to dismiss 2025 as 2017+, but it's such a leap forward. Chess and draughts are played on the same chequered board, but the difference in tactics between the two games are staggering.

In 2017 you could take any weapon you'd unlocked but stick with the same (lousy) vehicles that could never be replaced. In 2025, the level restrictions means you can't take overpowered weapons, but ones that feel just powerful enough. You try out a lot more weapon combos than 2017, which pushed you towards the Lysander Z/ZEXR Turrets combo, usually.

Now the vehicles are more useful, it's great that you can call more of them onto the battlefield after a certain amount of kills. It's not unusual to see a flying Chimp mashing up some robots (whilst singing "I Wish I Could Fly").
                  Last edited by QualityChimp; 28-02-2014, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Despite Katsu not believing me, I had a slight glitch with my armour settings as it wasn't going up despite hoovering up lots of drops.

In the game lobby, there's a specific Armour setting in the Class/Equipment section.
                    You can either set it to automatically update (rises and drops to the max level in relation to the mission/difficulty selected) or manually configure the value.

Mine was set to automatic but never went above 200. Changed it to manual, then back to automatic and my armour jumped up to nearly 600!

That probably would have come in handy with the level where a load of Hectors kept attacking. Then ants. Then ants and spiders. Then flying drones which meant you couldn't call in new vehicle drops or bombing runs. Then MORE Hectors!

Good times with Katsu, and Robster last night. It was fun replaying the initial bunch of levels using the weapons I'd subsequently picked up.

Other musings:
                    The city is really great. I should have been assisting in the tunnels, but I was milling around the shopping mall looking at the designs. There were shops selling suits, shirts, smoothies, sushi and so on. Each one had its own unique posters and prices. There is repetition, but you have to look for it. In the cities, squeezing between the buildings whilst waiting for weapons to reload out of sight of enemies, I noticed flyposters on some walls.

It's easy to dismiss 2025 as 2017+, but it's such a leap forward. Chess and draughts are played on the same chequered board, but the difference in tactics between the two games are staggering.

In 2017 you could take any weapon you'd unlocked but stick with the same (lousy) vehicles that could never be replaced. In 2025, the level restrictions means you can't take overpowered weapons, but ones that feel just powerful enough. You try out a lot more weapon combos than 2017, which pushed you towards the Lysander Z/ZEXR Turrets combo, usually.

Now the vehicles are more useful, it's great that you can call more of them onto the battlefield after a certain amount of kills. It's not unusual to see a flying Chimp mashing up some robots (whilst singing "I Wish I Could Fly").
                    How very bizarre that only yourself and renowned MegaWagon Robster only appear to have been effected by this prolific glitch I'm still narrowing it down to user error myself

Nice to get online with & Vanpeebles reminds me of the golden days of VideoGameImports... TeamAndromeda, Hartley Hare where are you!?
                    Had some cracking games all week tbh, and last night using the Air Raider & playing the new mini game "Limpet Robster" was no exception!

Robsters cave disco shoes? http://web.stagram.com/p/665332144906208020_45534639

In other news my ramblings from September time are finally up http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/...e-force-4.html Mega delay as I really wanted to add some video footage but numerous events & PC failures got in the way

Comment

I am back in the saddle...have decided to main the Fencer class! A lumbering oaf with dual Gatlings!!!
                      Last edited by BaronSqwelch; 01-03-2014, 12:59.

Comment

Just to confirm, I popped the PAL game into all my consoles, and it worked on NTSC-J and NTSC-U, as well as PAL (natch).

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
                          I am back in the saddle...have decided to main the Fencer class! A lumbering oaf with dual Gatlings!!!
                          Have you figured out how to abuse the dash glitch? I can't find a guide anywhere.

Comment

Only had a quick play so far so not tried yet...apparently it works better when you find a faster melee weapon than the starter though.

Comment

Who's online this afternoon ?

Comment

I'll be on later but I won't have an operational headset.

Comment

Working...
                                X