Titanfall (PC / Xbox One) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titanfall (PC / Xbox One) review

Ok, so got this today on the PC for ?20, which is a sweet bargain if I say so myself.

Running it on my MacBook Pro, where if I turn everything down I can get almost 60fps and a fair chunk of tearing. Either way, it's still playable (tip if you are struggling, Texture quality seems to have the biggest effect on the performance)

*EDIT* Some new drivers are out and using the laptop screen and not my TV seems to be much better, have cranked everything up a little now.

So far I've played 4 of the 9 Campaign maps, as expected you are dropped into a game with other people, there is some dialogue that plays over the game lobby as you wait.
    Once the game has started there are cutscenes with recurring characters, as you play you'll see these characters talking and progressing the story in the corner of the screen. This still feels very much like the multiplayer Beta you may have already played, just with some extra context as to why you are on a particular level. You are still very much within a multiplayer experience, there are still lobbies, menus and all the same things that you have when you play in "classic" mode.

As I'm playing there are only a handful of people playing and I could see other players becoming frustrated as they played the story map 3 times, the game must wait for the situation where every player has played all of the previous campaign levels before it will move the party on to the next one. Because the opposing team was whooping us so hard, my team mates would drop out and the game would be filled with a few other players who have also only just started.

Be under no illusions that the campaign mode is the multiplayer mode dressed up differently, whilst I have not played the all yet, each "level" has lasted as long as a multiplayer match will, so I would expect you to be able to play through the campaign from both sides perspectives in a couple of hours.

If you have played the Beta then you already know what you are in for, it doesn't feel significantly different from in any way, it's that with more maps and more modes.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I didn't realise you could play this on a MacBook Pro Boris, what's the spec on yours?

Comment

I'm running it from a Windows Partition, but my machine is an 2.3 i7 a, geforce 650m and 16GB RAM.
      Biggest issue is the PC one needs a 50GB install, so I've had to set aside 80GB of my 250GB SSD for it.
      Last edited by EvilBoris; 10-03-2014, 17:05.

Comment

Geez that seems sacrilege to use a rMBP that way, surprised it doesn't perform better as the 650m isn't too bad. I think the biggest changes are going to be the weapons and the use of zip lines from the beta. Getting it on the Xbox One as didn't want to use my MacBooks SSD so hopefully they can add that bit of extra polish they seem to have promised now and get it to 900p.

Can't wait new levels looks awesome as do the new weapons, especially for the Titans.

Comment

Sacrilege, should I only be using it to pose with in Starbucks?

Comment

Haha no just Windows is an awful OS to use that much space. Just a shame that it has to be that way is all.

That is shame about the campaign but tomorrow should be a flood of non-pro players and will be smoother if the servers don't die that is. I want to know how the matching up will work in the regular multiplayer and how skill levels will be managed. If it will be based on actual skill or amount of time played.

Comment

This ships in just over 5 hours on the US Xbox Store so I'm planning to pick it up there. Xbox One version is 16.39Gb and then a 825mb patch on top.

I've heard the campaign is limited which is a shame but then its not like they pretended it was anything more than multiplayer with a story. It might be a lot better when the deluge of news players arrives?

Comment

Yeah, those problems were purely down to population, it'll be fine tommorow

Comment

I started campaign this morning, just like picking up where I left off with the beta. More Titans, more guns, more maps - more fun!

Had a bit of an issue with people who were 32 in campaign demolishing my team but a quit out and a new lobby and I found normal people and all was good.

Not had any tearing issues so far and everything looks great, will be nice when team mates know what they are doing though

Comment

There is some tearing. Also had some frame rate dips but in all honesty the beta was a very close benchmark to the end product on day one. I've played for around 4 hours and I'm up to level 11 and done around 7 rounds of the Militia campaign.

Same as you, got owned by some higher ranked guys. Encountered one guy who has gone up a generation already (prestiged). Seems like everyone's been playing this a lot longer than me and I'm the cannon fodder. Regardless has some real fun and the maps I've played so far range from really excellent (Lagoon) to decent (Rust Desert map) with most being great.

The campaign though. Well I'm disappointed so far it's been rubbish. I know it was always going to be multiplayer book ended by narrative but honestly voice overs in a lobby seems really basic. Even a small cutscene or something would be great. Seems fairly lacklustre do far but at least when the action kicks off it's forgotten.

Comment

Xbox One version came today too, looks generally nicer than I could get it on my PC, I think they have tweaked a few things since the beta. The Grunts and Spectres are a bit more adept at being bullet sponges and I think the smart pistol is a little slower to lock on

Comment

Yeah I have just been using the smart pistol and it does seem slightly slower, trying it with the suppressor now to see if that helps.

Comment

Poll added

Comment

I've switched to my Halo control scheme (Bumper Jumper) which allows you to jump/wallrun as you are aiming, so it makes the parkour much more effective.

I have been playing most of today and love it.

Finished the IMC campaign and that was pretty disappointing, I don't know what happened to the Scenes that they demoed which showed people talking, I think they could have made more of the story had they had more of those.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              I've switched to my Halo control scheme (Bumper Jumper) which allows you to jump/wallrun as you are aiming, so it makes the parkour much more effective.
                              Praise-be for bumper jumper (I never once looked in the beta to see if it was there)
                              I presume it's a straight swap, where 'A' button is now used for pilot/ Titan skill?

Comment

Working...
                              X