No announcement yet.

Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man do i hate the Shrine of Amana, you would think mage would have it easy but those bastard frogmen run under spells often and there always seem to be one more ready to pounce when you think it's clear to charge down those spell chucking witches. The cherry on the cake is get invaded as well.

Comment

If I remember correctly, hexes are OP in this game.

Comment

For hex i'd need to reset my skills at the hags, my FTH is 4 (INT and ATN at 60)... which i'm tempted to do. After clearing out the swamp, using the key on the girls and getting through the crypt for kings key, i decided to go look at the first released DLC which is the Sunken King... it's pretty anti magic, even the basic soldiers took 4 Great Heavy Arrows with the strong magic damage staff (max out), always charging at you every opportunity.

It was quite fun to progress through with all the switches hidden around every corner, had to equip a bow for some of those hidden ones and dealing with the poison/curse turtles (which absolute bastard made those unlockable). Now i've run into a wall of the lady boss, huge HP pool, massive magic def and can summon another bloody boss to help... the other direction was 3v1 vs a Havel knock-off, which i've not repeated yet as the run to the gate is horrible, if i went HEX i could see Fog being useful on both these fights. I assume the Dragon is waiting around somewhere past one or both of them. Best DLC i've played so far (which isn't hard with the other being only DS1's only DLC expansion)

Comment

I know where you are - see my posts above - good luck.gif

You've made me want to fire up a new mage character now .....not home until after Xmas though

Comment

Given up on beating the Sunken King boss, just so anti mage with the effort needed to max out hex staff and buy missing hex spells (i'd be missing HEX boss spells to, as i spent them for exp) isn't worth it the effort for one fight.

Moved on to progressing to the main game all the way up to the double final fight at the end, to which i then turned to the 2nd DLC iron king. Not anti mage this time, most zombie soldiers done in 2 hits but they sure to love packing 2 to 3 of them together in tiny rooms... had some trouble with the big guy with his huge club and fire spitting shoulder pads and his 4 pals chipping in. I like the ash like snow theme on these huge ass towers and stabbing these red statues, just not a fan of the lack of shortcuts so far... alot of long runs and i've not even reached a fog gate boss yet.

Comment

Tobal I spent the weekend starting a new mage character. You are 100% correct - early game mage sucks balls. I'm using the fire longsword more than my pew pew spells that hit like wet lettuce. Will persevere......

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                Tobal I spent the weekend starting a new mage character. You are 100% correct - early game mage sucks balls. I'm using the fire longsword more than my pew pew spells that hit like wet lettuce. Will persevere......
                Good luck

As much as i say go in blind with as much knowledge of the last time you played, if i went back again i'd definitely look up a guide for any mage build with how haphazardly the vital spell npcs are hidden across the world.

Comment

I'm trying but it is really annoying me. I'm not even a glass cannon, I'm just glass. Comparison, my last greatsword wielding character (Bazza) is near the same part of the game (Huntsman's Copse) and he's pretty much destroying everything.......

Comment

I had someone invade me in Lost Bastille last night. I just stared at him and then used the wave gesture. He waved back and didn't attack. He then watched me kill a few of the enemies with my starting catalyst after I'd killed a few enemies, he started dropping some items for me All the most powerful upgraded staffs! Witchtree Branch+10, Staff of Wisdom+5 etc. We bowed at each other and he went back to his own world.

Breezing through the game now. It was the strangest and best moment I've had with a real invader.

Comment

^ that is awesome

Comment

DLC 2 the Iron King "beaten" in so much as beating the Fume Knight and conquering Brume Tower and getting through the horrible iron passage area to fight the worst boss for sorceries where i gave up, the run to the boss is ****hole for blocking magic, slowing movement spell in 4 tight areas full of melee and spell casters, just to reach a boss who is a magic powered version of the Smelter Demon (so pure sorcery resistance) from the iron keep.. Soul Spear doing a whopping 170 damage (of about 9500hp) with best soc staff and 62 in INT... naaaahh. Got what needed from the DLC which was a good but fair challenge in the tower and the clutch sorcery ring (+soc dmg, -def), definitely better then DLC1.

so my give-ups so far,

Main game - both Bell Tower bosses, didn't fancy the pvpve which was one key thing i remember being hell from my very first play through, also a lack of drops worth a damn for sorcery
                        DLC1 - Elana and Sinh the dragon (who is locked behind her)
                        DLC2 - Smelter Demon ver2 and Alonne (main boss?, locked behind the demon)

Time to move on DLC 3 Ivory King.
                        Last edited by Tobal; 07-01-2024, 20:49.

Comment

Not having a great time with the Ivory King, it's more zombie soldiers with an ice theme and half a level blocked off until a beat the magic resistant ice-tiger boss which i assume stops the weather one death. Went and levelled up my pyromancy hand to +10, got the few spells from vendors i could still get but the damage is barely better than my sorcery (297 magic dmg staff, 62int gives Great Soul Arrow 97dmg vs great fireball 98dmg with +10 hand), and for the first time called in real players (twice, found only 2 players in 40 minutes of waiting)... which all died quickly, even when sharing agro.

Hex damage with 17 FTH (62int) was 98dmg with the basic orb, so it looks like a character reset is needed and go in throwing dark orbs. I'm really not a fan of how dirty FROM did pure sorcery builds in this game from early game and how all the DLC seems unreasonably anti sorcery.

Comment

DS2 has a history of nerfing spells (all types, not just sorceries), and the DLCs boosted resilience of standard enemies heavily to cope with players running around with ultra greatswords.
                            I still think the DLCs are the best thing about DS2, but this is the only soulsborne games I struggle to find any reason to start it anew. The idea is always in the back of mind, but then I realise I simply didn't enjoy going around most locations in my previous pkaythroughs.

Comment

respec'd to a hex build, farmed souls to max out the best hex staff and buy whatever dark spells i could still get, all for 127 dmg per dark orb. Between 2 npc summons i managed to get the bastard tiger down after good few tries then went on to finish the other 2 of 3 bosses off, didn't bother with the double tiger boss, had enough. Easily the worst the of the DLC.

With that done, went on to finish the last 2 bosses (queen and her guard) without any trouble. Not sure if i'll ever be back and would make sure to mod it for those texture/shadow upgrades, if it ever got a demon souls like remaster it would need to some serious work on the balance, remove the ADA stat, redo the the access to the corpse as it's way to easy to miss where it's placed, offer rock spells for sorcery to deal somewhat with anti magic (like elden ring), fix that sky box for earthen mound, and stick DLC in without the teleports, some nice tunnels or lifts to them.

Next would be DS3 mage build, but... i rebought Elden Ring on PC (had it on xbox) for £30 at christmas and i've fallen into seamless co-op mod for elden ring playing with 3 others, how mod does what all dev's refuse to do when it comes to co-op is unbelievable (proper progressions saved for everyone as we are all the 'host'), and to get it working with very few quest glitches (which can be easily fixed by a quick drop in and out of the world by all the players).

Comment

I'm really enjoying the Ivory King DLC. I also started as a mage build, but that Giant Lord memory boss is easy stupidly easy to farm for millions of souls, so I'm at level 250 now and put loads of points into a strength and endurance. Using the Red Iron Twinblade to get through all the magic resistant enemies in the DLC. This weapon seems to work a lot better if you don't lock onto enemies though.

Red Iron Twinblade is a Weapon in Dark Souls 2. Red Iron Twinblade guide with all stats, location, upgrades, lore, and tips.

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                                respec'd to a hex build, farmed souls to max out the best hex staff and buy whatever dark spells i could still get, all for 127 dmg per dark orb. Between 2 npc summons i managed to get the bastard tiger down after good few tries then went on to finish the other 2 of 3 bosses off, didn't bother with the double tiger boss, had enough. Easily the worst the of the DLC.

Comment

Working...
                                X