Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
    @Uli: how did DS ending slap you in the face? A congratulatory "you did it!" fanfare and parade wouldn't be in Souls' style.
    it slapped me in the face by not giving me any kind of story conclusion. all i can remeber is that after finished the last boss and lit the bonfire i was instantly taken to the credits sreen and then back to the start of the new game plus. sorry that's really lame for such an ambitious game. Demons Souls ending was kind of crappy too but at least you got one.

Comment

Originally posted by hush View Post
      I've a question is there much different to playing online then offline from the start menu or is just for pvp and the whole invading other plays or is there more to it that I'm not seeing?

Am really liking it am on my third build the first two didn't click but the third build did am into my magic build it. What's peoples start class and did it change for the one your using now.
      Never played it offline but you don't get invaded often unless you use certain item to promote it, attack other players causing blue revenges or hang out in certain areas other covenant players have to protect. I guess you wouldn't see the messages which are helpful and sometimes funny, and the pools of blood showing other hapless player replays of their deaths, which can help you with traps or cause comedy with some of the ways people have died.

Also found what to do with the boss souls,

this time instead of crafting them you can trade them with an npc for the weapons/shield after got a new tree yew from helping scorpionman tark which I used on the petrified prisoner in lost bastille this time round

Last edited by Tobal; 17-03-2014, 12:44.

Comment

Did you get the Link The Fire ending or the Dark Lord ending? The Dark lord one has a bit more to it IIRC

Comment

You get a 10 second cutscene regardless or what you choose. I got a bunch of bowing worms. Don't see how they could resolve such a totally inchoate and allusive plot anyway, even if - indeed - there was a plot. Dark Souls wiki was full of speculation, I seem to remember, with Hidetaki piling in now and again to half-clarify and/or confuse things. I'm not convinced he knows what it's about himself although apparently he has a secret notebook where it all ties together...
          Last edited by Golgo; 17-03-2014, 12:53.

Comment

I didn't really expect anything more from the endings TBH but I'm not sure why. I guess the game was sparse with it's explanations from start to finish so to expect anything concrete at the end...

Comment

no need to defend the game. i love it, even more so than Demons Souls. but the lack of a satisfiying ending hurts, expcially after all the pain and effort one went through to complete the game. maybe if i ever do the NG+ i will go for the "bad" ending as it looks like the real ending and is significantly longer than the mini cutscene i got - i just watched a bit of it on Youtube.

so what about Dark Souls 2' ending? anyone finished it already and can report whether it's any better than in the predecessor?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                no need to defend the game. i love it, even more so than Demons Souls. but the lack of a satisfiying ending hurts, expcially after all the pain and effort one went through to complete the game. maybe if i ever do the NG+ i will go for the "bad" ending as it looks like the real ending and is significantly longer than the mini cutscene i got - i just watched a bit of it on Youtube.

so what about Dark Souls 2' ending? anyone finished it already and can report whether it's any better than in the predecessor?
                I'm still a way from finishing it, but just like Dark Souls before it, the story is told in notes and hidden details rather than an onslaught of exposition. I would be very surprised if the ending changed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                  Demons Souls ending was kind of crappy too but at least you got one.
                  I thought it was amazing. I consider that final little boss fight in that bizarre realm as being an interactive ending in itself.

Comment

Agreed, Sketcz. The final boss who

is too corrupt and decrepit to put up any fight at all

was amazingly unexpected and powerful, after all the previous boss-whuppings.

Comment

It's is so, so easy to miss an area, cleared out 3 of the 4 great souls and spent ages looking top to bottom for the next area.. finally found It and its huntsman's corpse... can't believe I left it for so long.. my attack and poise crush is off the charts for the monsters in it but im a paper tiger, couple of swings and im out.

Also in my mission to find the 4th great soul area I found another part of rat kings covenant.. got invaded 4 times in my trip

around pharos, and because you always start in the water it so very tough to run away with 2 toxin rats, 1 elephant, 1 dwarf and the player after me ... and the boss of that area what a git.

Comment

These games aren't about the endings IMO. They are about the journey [/clich

Comment

Loved the ending to Demon's Souls too. The setting for the last few moments was just genius -

That pure white sky after 50 odd hours of relentlessly oppressive murk. It felt like I'd broke though, achieved enlightenment or sommat.

Still loving this. I popped through the mist at the top of

Belfry Luna

just now. Won't be going back there for a fair while. Horrific.

Comment

Is

Belfry Luna

a mandatory area? I'm slightly stuck as to where to progress from here.

My progress so far has been Heide's Tower of Flame (Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer defeated first), Forest of Fallen Giants (defeated that giant tree boss and The Pursuer, obtained Soldier Key), No Man's Wharf (defeated Sentry), The Lost Bastille (defeated Ruin Sentinels), Sinner's Rise (defeated The Old Sinner), and now I don't know where to go next. Is it Belfry Luna?

It's kinda weird that you need a Pharros Lockstone as a mandatory item to progress? I don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
                              Is

Belfry Luna

a mandatory area? I'm slightly stuck as to where to progress from here.

My progress so far has been Heide's Tower of Flame (Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer defeated first), Forest of Fallen Giants (defeated that giant tree boss and The Pursuer, obtained Soldier Key), No Man's Wharf (defeated Sentry), The Lost Bastille (defeated Ruin Sentinels), Sinner's Rise (defeated The Old Sinner), and now I don't know where to go next. Is it Belfry Luna?

It's kinda weird that you need a Pharros Lockstone as a mandatory item to progress? I don't have one.

it is optional - from what you've said, you're best off now trying another path from Majula

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

it is optional - from what you've said, you're best off now trying another path from Majula
                                I just figured out about those and where they are.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X