No announcement yet.

Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly don't know what they were trying to achieve with Bloodborne. It's a good game and all, but it has way less content than the Soul's games, and it's not like it's any more accessible. Perhaps it's just a test bed for Demon's II. I do prefer the start button bringing up the inventory though. You should have been able to switch that in DSII I reckon.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

They’re trying to appeal to a larger audience.
      Not everyone loves Souls. IMO their aim was to make Bloodborne a lighter mix to try and draw more people in.

And it’s worked! For me at least.

I know a lot of Souls veterans are saying they’re basically the same but I consider them quite different. Reasons you consider BB worse than Souls are exactly the reasons I was able to get into BB.
      I’ve never got on with Souls (tried both Demon and Dark but gave up a few hours in) but I loved Bloodborne so much I’ve gone out and bought Scholar of the First Sin as I thought I finally “understood”.
      But I didn’t.
      It’s taken a while but I finally get Dark Souls now too and I’m enjoying SotFS

Bloodborne was never meant to be a rebadged Souls game.

Comment

Appeal to a wider audience at the cost of antagonising their loyal followers though? Bloodborne is without doubt a button-mashing step backwards.
        Whilst I'm fully aware that it isn't a Souls game, it is actually a heavily stripped down Souls game. The faster combat aside, it's still a very foreboding atmosphere. It plays in almost exactly the same way, and is no more accessible to a Souls veteran. The difficulty level is just as high, you just can't do as much as you could before.
        Last edited by J0e Musashi; 05-05-2015, 18:10.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

This, and the previous Souls games are in a different league to Bloodborne. The choice to take out enemies in the way that you choose with a multitude of close up, blunt or edged weapons, upgradeable in multiple ways, or ranged weapons, or magic, or miracles. Choosing stats to upgrade for the particular build you are going for. All present here and all stuff missing from Bloodborne and it's the best part of the game in many ways. By the third or fourth boss in blood borne I was still using my starting weapon. It's been upgraded but not in any special way of my choosing, just upgraded. Dull.

Anyone know if a PS3 game save can be used on the PS4 game? Wondering whether to upgrade.

Comment

Brad and Daryl in third agreement shocker.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Lol. Thing is I'd got the impression that this game was a pale imitation but so far it's refreshing souls goodness.

Comment

It's the worst of the three, but it's still epic.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Quick note, the issue with weapon durability has been patched on PCs. Patch for consoles will (probably) be issued soon.

Comment

PS4 patch is out...time to get back into this!

Comment

I've never understood if the white shadows you see when playing online in Dark Souls 2 (but also in Bloodborne) are two-way, meaning that the player you see also sees you.

Nevertheless, I've taken the habit of bowing to them if I/they aren't engaged in battle. No special reason, I just do that.

Yesterday, while making my way to Aldia's Keep, I was followed by a white shadow. He wasn't just going his own way, he was following me. I was running for a short while, he was jogging behind. I took out the two Kobolds (or whatever they are) with the bow, he did the same few seconds later. I started walking up the cliff, he waited. He disappeared when I was engaging the cyclops, but later reappeared when I was running past the small bog, standing still in front of me. Of course I couldn't tell if he was the same guy, but equipment-wise, he was. I run in front of him, bowed, the proceeded toward the keep, without running. The guy started following me again, I stopped a couple of times, and he stopped at the same time. Third time, I stopped and made the "point" gesture toward the keep and stood still. He ran past me, never to be seen again.

I had a good time, guy in knight's armour and curved sword. And the white shadows you see are two way. Cool.

Comment

NG+ is awesome. I've killed seven bosses in under an hour. To think how cautious you are in NG is insane.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

After Bloodborne I wanted to play something more easy going, then I saw the PS4 version of Scholar for ?25 on shopto and I couldn't resist

I've said a number of times how much I loved Demon's but didn't really get on with Dark, but I think playing Bloodborne has somehow sharpened me up again and prepped me for the challenge. Really enjoying it, though I know I've barely scratched the surface (not faced a boss yet but exploring and a bit of soul farming feels like a good pace for me - though the disappearing enemies make it seem like From don't want you over-farming). So I'm currently in soul form with half a vitality bar, which is making progression a little more challenging, but no less fun ... I'm hoping a boss-kill will return me to human form and full health. It better do.

Comment

Leave your summon sign down successful co-op will make you human again - or you can just consume a human effigy.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            After Bloodborne I wanted to play something more easy going, then I saw the PS4 version of Scholar for ?25 on shopto and I couldn't resist

I've said a number of times how much I loved Demon's but didn't really get on with Dark, but I think playing Bloodborne has somehow sharpened me up again and prepped me for the challenge. Really enjoying it, though I know I've barely scratched the surface (not faced a boss yet but exploring and a bit of soul farming feels like a good pace for me - though the disappearing enemies make it seem like From don't want you over-farming). So I'm currently in soul form with half a vitality bar, which is making progression a little more challenging, but no less fun ... I'm hoping a boss-kill will return me to human form and full health. It better do.

Comment

Cheers Zaki. Yeah, just beat 1st boss and got my question answered. Guess you don't become human again upon beating a boss like in Demon's. Might have me some co-op if the going gets tough. Are effigies in relatively decent supply?

Comment

This game is my best of 2014 and 2015. Doubled dipped PC and PS4. Did the same for DS1 on PS3 and PC.

Hard to explain but there's something magical about the world, the way you're connected to others in subtle ways. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X