[3DS] Mario Golf demo impressions review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3DS] Mario Golf demo impressions review

Couldn't see a thread for this and didn't realise until today that a demo came out ten days ago to be honest.

There are three courses in the demo which you play three holes on, and a couple of additional games where you have to try and collect star coins or hit the ball through big rings while trying to still get par.

4 out of what must be 15+ characters are playable in the demo (Mario/Priness/Yoshi/Bowser).

Looks great and everything you would expect with courses like "Wiggler Park" being spot on visually and layout wise.

Gameplay is quite simplistic re golf swing and the like, but does have a few nice touches like being able to set a marker for the required distance in the power bar etc. Can't see anyone ever saying this is too complicated for even youngsters - the tutorial takes about 60 seconds to complete fully! Good to see you're not forced to use the touchscreen at all, sure everything on the touchscreen has a button assigned to it too.

All the usual stuff like club selection, power, direction, camera control (not sure if there was a zoom feature though come to think of it, there is behind player, the hole and overhead views) is as you would expect and don't know what else to say really.

Not sure how many courses/unlockables/extras are in the full game or if I would buy on day one, not really a genre that grabs me nowadays.

Gamexplain preview video from last month, seems to show a few characters so don't watch if you class characters as spoilers.

Last edited by VR46; 27-04-2014, 19:13.

I really liked the demo. Shocked at some of the review scores seen a couple of 6 out of 10. Seems like it's just fun to bash Nintendo at the moment. I'm going to give it a rent and decide for myself but certainly based on the demo the game is no 6 out of 10.

Comment

The main reason this seems to be getting lower scores is that it's missing the RPG mode from the other handheld versions of the MG games.

I really enjoyed the demo but I get bored of golf games quite quickly so not sure if I'll buy this straight away.

Comment

Had this pre ordered for ages and enjoyed the demo.Looking forward to Friday

Comment

Recently got this finally started playing, been a long time since i played any mario golf game the last one i touched was on the gamecube, not hugely into golf but Mario & gang make it fun with the themed courses. Played a couple of hours so far & i'm rather enjoying it, the controls feel just as good as they did on the cube there are a lot of options for tweaking the shots. Love all the extra kit you can unlock there are some great outfits and the change your stats adding a bit of strategy, was suprised to also see that the online tournaments are still running too.

Currently going through unlocking all the courses. You don't get many to start with but seeing as this only cost me ?6 i'm not too cut up about that. There is more than enough content for my ?6 investment (yay cheap Amazon Japan imports) i also went to the eshop and bought the DLC which wasn't too expensive so i have a lot more extra courses to play with now although i mainly wanted it for gold Mario and the coin ability. Can see me sinking many hours into this one as there are a lot of challenge modes like there were on the cube. A nice addition to the collection.

Comment

Been playing this for months and hours of my life have vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              The main reason this seems to be getting lower scores is that it's missing the RPG mode from the other handheld versions of the MG games.
              I hate it when stuff like this happens.

I admit, Nintendo are fortunate that Smash WiiU is so bloody good in so many ways, because I'm still a bit miffed that it has no story mode.

Comment

Working...
              X