Always Sometimes Monsters [PC] review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always Sometimes Monsters [PC] review

Anyone picked up this curious little indie title? Because I did, after it piqued my interest when Eurogamer reviewed it and gave it 9/10.

Always Sometimes Monsters is an adventure/RPG/survival game set in our own, modern world. You take the role of a struggling writer, who finds himself unemployed, left by his lover and soon homeless if you can't pay your landlord the $500 you owe him.

At the start of the game you choose your character's gender, race and sexual orientation, which will affect the gameplay and how certain characters will react when you meet them in the game. Always Sometimes Monsters deals with serious issues, such as racism, homophobia, drug use and violence, but tries to tackle them in a serious and mature way.

Visually the game looks like the Japanese RPG's of the 16-bit era, like Final Fantasy VI etc. Character models are big headed and big eyed and important characters have hand-drawn portraits in the dialogue (which there's a lot, this is a moderately text-heavy game).

The gameplay is about living your life, trying to make the ends meet while maintaining and making relationships with other characters in the game. The key aspect of the game is choice and consequence: will you steal a wallet to buy food or feed the stray dog even though you need every buck yourself. There are a LOT of choices, even in the first day of your life in the game (from the total of 30 ingame days I presume) so ASM offers a lot of variety and replay value for those who like the game.

I'll add some examples of my character's playthrough at a later point if anyone's interested in reading how the game plays (and after I play some more).

The game is available on GoG.com for $8.99 USD (release price, after that it'll be $9.99)

Out of money and out of luck you find yourself heart broken and on the verge of collaps
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

So, at the start of the game, you select your character and his/her significant other at a party, hosted by your publising agent, Larry and his wife. I picked an easy-going-looking white guy in a hoodie, and chose a cute girl with head-phones as my girlfriend. I named my character "Andy" and my girlfriend "Sam" (short for Samantha). I forgot that the main character's writing partner in the game is also called "Sam" (it was mentioned in the beginning) so I hope it doesn't get too confusing. You should probably another name.

Larry proposes a toast and I get to choose what to toast for. I decided that we should toast for "not screwing up". I hope it'll help me in the future.

Day 1

Fast forward one year from the party.

Seems like my toast didn't really help with the future. I wake up in a messy apartment,dirty laundry litters the floor. I am alone. Sam and I have broken up, I don't remember why. So lonely. The mail comes. I get out of the bed and pick up the darts from the dartboard on the wall and throw them back. I check my fridge and find three whole slices of pizza (which require 2 minutes in the microwave)! After a morning poop and shower in the bathroom I decide to check my mail infront of the door. Probably more bills and ads.

There's a note from my friend, Darkeff (that's his stage name, he's a musician). Darkeff wants me to come to the Phoenix Club to help him set up for his gig tonight. He tells me to not be late as usual. There's something else in the mail. It's a letter reminding me about my late rental payments, $500 and kindly asks me to pay as soon as possible to ensure my good credit-rating. Broke as ****, I head out the door.

Edit: To be continued...

Comment

Working...
    X