Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MotoGP 14 (PS4/PS3/Vita/360) review

[Impressions based on the PS4 version]

There is no XB One version, not sure why.

Received this from Gameseek yesterday ?33 delivered, nice price compared to Amazon, Shopto etc.

First thing I tried was a Time Trial lap of Silverstone in a BMW M4, yes you read that right, the safety car in this game is driveable and has it?s own separate time trial online leaderboards - it's for Time Trial use only, you can't race it against bikes at any point. The driving physics of it are actually quite realistic.

Contains all the riders, tracks and liveries from the 2014 season. In fact the game has over 100 riders in total.

Visuals ? the bikes, riders, shadows etc all look great, a massive step up from last gen? borderline I would say, the gravel for instance looks pretty ropey.
    Four views are available, two from behind the bike, a helmet cam and handlebar cam (roughly).

Audio - quite realistic and the Doohan 500cc bike from back in the day sounded great.

Gameplay wise there is loads to do, the obvious career mode, instant races, time trial (with online leaderboard per track) and challenges etc. More than any MotoGP game before I think with lots of great racers and bikes to try and unlock along the way. There is a split screen mode and couple of types of online races - though I tried three times between 9pm and 11pm last night and couldn't find a single other person online sadly.

The bikes handle really well and much better than the Capcom offerings of the last few years, there are three realism settings for novice?s and pro?s alike.

One thing a bit strange is that the TCS (traction control), this can be altered mid race with a press up or down on the d-pad. You can?t just fly around the track, you really have to pick your breaking points and tipping in point well to stay on the tarmac.

Would say difficulty is spot on, there are lots of riding aids to help if needs be, so don't be put off by thinking it would be too tough.

Good detailed review from Eurogamer here I agree with
    The winner of the 2014 MotoGP season may already be a foregone conclusion, but that doesn't mean the new MotoGP 14 game can't throw up its own surprises.

Had a nice blue screen error code too, CE-348878 or something after an hours play, didn?t affect my save file but getting thrown back to the dashboard after starting a race wasn?t great, thought these sort of errors had been resolved, not seen one for ages.
    1 - back of the grid
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    5 - middle of the pack
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - pole position
    0%

5 days after release and the first DLC lands.
    Love that track and corkscrew such as shame it's been dropped from the MotoGP calendar.

MotoGP™14 Laguna Seca Redbull US Grand Prix (?3.29/€3.99/$5.95)

Comment

Demo of this lands on PSN for PS4 later today if anyone is interested. It's pretty lonely in here

Comment

Interested may give the demo a to. Always enjoyed the bike racing games like Hang On etc never bought any of the Sports like Moto GP or Super Bikes though.

Update: downloading Demo now
        Last edited by JU!; 18-07-2014, 19:27.

Comment

Be prepared to crash and fall off quite a bit, but take it easy until you get to grips with things, a few tips for the new ones to the games;

- join the brakes in the racing options to front and rear are applied together
          - brake and accelerate when the bike is upright ideally
          - turn on the racing line visual, will help you greatly with breaking points and where to turn in etc.
          - set TCS to max initially (press up on the d-pad a few times)

Learning these games takes time and patience and I bet only 10% stick with it past half an hour sadly.

Comment

Working...
          X