No announcement yet.

Deus Ex Invisible War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw these impressions on anther board and thought they were worth posting...Not my work, obviously.

I was one of the first to come here and post my early impressions of Deus Ex: Invisible War. And, as many of you might have read, I wasn't very happy with it. But my opinion of it has changed now that I've invested a lot more time into it. Basically, I have not been able to put it down.

Some of my complaints with the game were the low framerate, blocky graphics and long load times. While the framerate still isn't as good as I would like, it does manage to stay at a steady 30fps. The graphics have improved greatly. There's a lot of detail, and the lighting and shadows are simply amazing. The load times are still an issue, but I've gotten used to them. Thankfully, the game never loads while you're actually walking around in an environment. It only loads when entering into a new environment through a door or elevator.

The game does seem a little overwhelming at first, and somewhat confusing as well. This is why I decided to start over again from the beginning. The first level of the game made a lot more sense when I played it through a second time. And once I started playing, I couldn't stop. Because after you understand the game mechanics more, it really becomes fun.

The game is an RPG first and a FPS second. It's rather open-ended, and allows you to tackle each situation in your own unique way. This is something that not many games allow you to do. And you would be surprised how much fun this can actually be.

There's a lot of weapons and gadgets in the game, and at first it's not always clear how each will benefit you. But once you experiment with everything, you learn how they each can be used to your advantage for certain situations. This adds strategy to the game.

As you talk with different characters in the game, you're given different objectives. Some of these you have to do in order to progress the story, and others you can do simply if you want to or not. The benefit of doing them usually results in more money and better weapons. Money can be very useful in the game, so this gives you a reason to want to complete the side missions.

The game features a wide variety of different types of characters, and this is what allows the game world to be so believable. It's also sometimes hard to determine if a character is good or bad. So it's not always easy to decide who to do missions for and who not to. But that's what gives the game the feeling of freedom. You are able to decide for yourself who you want to side with. It can get a lot more complex than this, but figuring it out for yourself is part of the fun.

There's not many games that give you the freedom to approach situations in them the way you want to. Most games are scripted and unfold exactly the way the developers intended them to. But that's not the case with this game. You really feel like you have the choice to go about things the way you decide. Even though there are missions you have to do in order to progress the story, there's several of them to choose from. There's not just one set path to follow. And which one you choose can, and will, determine how the game unfolds. So the replay in this game can be quite high in order to see how choosing different missions can change the outcome.

I would currently say that Deus Ex: Invisible War is my Xbox GOTY. I have not played an Xbox game this year that I've had as much fun with. And that does include KOTOR. I didn't enjoy KOTOR quite as much as most other people. But Deus Ex: Invisible War has really kept me glued to it. And that's saying something considering how many other great games I have to play for my PS2 and Xbox.

I admit that Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't for everyone. Those who like their FPS games to be packed with non-stop action will probably want to pass. But those looking for a sci-fi RPG will want to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Manta Ray vs Guitar
      You started by saying that this game is trying something new ... and then proceed to talk about physics, FPS, lighting and ragdoll physics.
      What happened?
      Originally posted by the shape
      Clearly these are all shallow aesthetic observations about the engine. I am well aware - as it's what drew me to the game - that there's a giant gaming experience under here with the very latest and most daring implementation of so-called emergent gameplay, moral choice and dynamic situations.
      It's a first impression.

Don't worry folks, Manta's just a little burned because he stuck his neck out too far in another thread last month, guaranteeing that Deus Ex 2 would be delayed "well into next year," and berating someone else for being stupid enough to put it on their list of highly anticipated Christmas games, because this didn't meet with his own bizarre projections.

And here I am looking at the box.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
        I should have this any day now also, I missed out on Deux Ex mainly as my PC couldnt run it to my satisfaction, but will try to put some time into this and post impressions soon after.
        Well, I missed out on Deus Ex as well, mainly because my PS2 couldn't run it to my satisfaction, so we're both in the same boat. 8)

Comment

So, has anyone played both versions and compared them?

Comment

I should have this game by tomorrow or Saturday, hopefully, I am slightly concerned about the framerate, being too jerky and whether I might have the patience to do justice to this title, I didn't really get on with KOTOR and didnt find this game grabbed me, but I am hopeful that DE2 does, I am hopeful though.
            Oh and Shape I only realised yesterday that you wrote in GAMES tm
            Seemed a fairly decent piece this month about the UK vs US Xbox packages, I myself feel a bit miffed at the current bundle sold with the UK Xbox, as when I bought mine all I received were Sega Gt 2002 and JSRF packed in I would have liked to have got all those games currently being sold in the UK Xbox pack, but if I were in the US there is no way I would buy a pack with Tetris and clonewars or whatever, anyway enough of my complaining

Comment

Don't worry folks, Manta's just a little burned because he stuck his neck out too far in another thread last month, guaranteeing that Deus Ex 2 would be delayed "well into next year," and berating someone else for being stupid enough to put it on their list of highly anticipated Christmas games, because this didn't meet with his own bizarre projections.
              That's not the reason, but good spotting all the same. Also, I didn't so much guarantee as make a bet with anybody who wanted to. If only you'd taken me up on it. I was right about Ninja Gaiden. I don't remember berating anybody though. I might have insulted somebody. I do that a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Manta Ray vs Guitar
                I might have insulted somebody. I do that a lot.
                How come?

Comment

Don't suppose anyone knows if it has a widescreen mode? (one of my few beefs with KOTOR)

Comment

Guess what I've forgotten to order

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                      Guess what I've forgotten to order
                      Me too, although I've got far, far, far too much to play at the moment.

Comment

The opening room......

the pillow.......

the ball......

the physics.....

30 minutes gone whilst having laugh and giggles

camps

Comment

Originally posted by shock33
                          Don't suppose anyone knows if it has a widescreen mode? (one of my few beefs with KOTOR)
                          It does not.

However, it does support 480p, so make of that what you will. And by that I mean, how many people have HDTVs that are not 16:9? None many, that's how many, none many! This was even odder considering that the little 'supported features' chart on the box only points out that 720p isn't supported, not that 480p is.

While speaking of video options, there's no screen position wotsit either.

And I just got some crazy bad clipping carrying a traffic cone through an air tunnel.

This said, the cone was being transported merely to place, UK student-like, on a heap of unconscious goons I had put to sleep with non-lethal neurotoxin shortly beforehand. So Deus Ex 2 still wins my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                            The opening room......

the pillow.......

the ball......

the physics.....

30 minutes gone whilst having laugh and giggles

camps
                            *sobs hot, fat, joyous tears*

*splutters the following in uncouth emotional display*

Someone understands!

Comment

Ive just got this game today and am very impressed, there are framerate issues but the overall feel of the game is very good, very immersive, intensely atmospheric, I like the way the storyline induces (in me at least ) a disconcerting sense of unsurety, should I trust the religious order cultists or not, this is a descision I am currently trying to make in the game, and its early days yet so I expect to be faced with many similar types of decisions as I progress, the game reminds me a lot of the Half life 2 demo I saw a few months ago, and I already prefer this game to KOTOR, although whether this will sell as much I couldn't say
                              I would say its ****in excellent, get it now

Comment

Invested a good few hours in this tonight, and while the opening isn't as impressive as Deus Ex's Liberty Island ( far smaller spaces, you're basically running through a constant chain of rooms ), as a whole it's not at all bad.

Graphically rough and impressive in places ( much like KOTR ), and while I know the framerate problems are there, and can cause the action to be slightly sluggish at times, perhaps too much emphasis has been put on such issues. Voice acting is pretty passable for this kind of game, and the story is interesting so far, it seems that the few instances you had in Deus Ex to choose alliances have been expanded on in this game - which should lead to some interesting plot consequences later on.

Dumbed down? Ehhh....I'm still deciding. It does feel very much like a lighter, more streamlined version of Deus Ex, and I understand why this has upset many fans of the original ( keycodes are remembered and entered automatically, there's not as much reading material as the first game, and your character starts off trained in the use of all weapons with the only possibilities for expansion being through biomods and weapon alterations ).

At this point I also understand why the P.C crowd feel betrayed, this inferface really does feel as though it was built primarily around the XBox pad, and as such works fantastically on said console but would be almost like offering re-heated leftovers to many P.C owners who are proud of their machine's difference to console gaming.

More impressions to follow, no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X